Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
challenge the interviewer to ritual combat op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah i am an h-1b and that proposal sounds decent :shrug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
after being responsible for everything and designing everything and having a very stressful time of it in general being a small cog in a large machine is starting to sound real good lately

especially since i'm such a terrible programmer and keep building poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh i just have way too much cash saved up and really should convert it into index funds but i feel like the day i do that is the day the s&p finally craters

i'm bad at money :saddowns:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh i'll do it when i finally get my green card

trying to open a brokerage account as a non-resident is surprisingly annoying

this of course totally justifies losing out on thousands of dollars in potential asset appreciation over that period of time. eh.

gently caress man i just want a roof over my head ok :( i don't need any luxury poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

we all crossed that rubicon when we clicked the two one nine

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PCjr sidecar posted:

checks out, they are friends with you so they clearly have poo poo judgement

:iceburn:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LinYutang posted:

according to that twitter thread they just were looking for wikipedia level answers

Cold on a Cob posted:

doesn't stop tech recruiters with their on-the-phone tests

"i'm sorry your answer doesn't match the answer provided to me so i guess yours is wrong, bye"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Maximo Roboto posted:

Anyone know how Apple compares to the other big guys?

It's pretty bad but probably marginally better than Amazon, on average

if you aren't a true believer then you'd better be world class in your field otherwise lol don't even bother applying

i'd guess apple would be by far the most selective of the major technology companies though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol if you don't just sit down w/ the candidate and ask them to talk about their previous work because you're not confident enough to spot a bullshitter from a mile off

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes heaven forbid we try to filter out people who cannot code from a job where they are expected to do that.

whiteboarding is not at all representative of day-to-day programming though, it only needs to be a good enough test to weed out fraudulent applicants.

you still have to establish that the candidate actually understands wtf they are doing and aren't just regurgitating a rote memorized answer.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the uk's economy is centralized on london to an absolutely ridiculous degree so the pay is garbage compared to what you'd get in any sane western country because employers have the workforce over a barrel. to say nothing of the rent.

learn german or something and go work in germany instead.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PierreTheMime posted:

on a scale of good to holy gently caress why, what's the consensus on moving to/living in the san fransisco area?

quote:

family

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope

seriously, you have better options.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Be like Valve where nobody has a job title :smug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wonder why people discriminate against uber on the old cv but not against say, goldman sachs

Hmm.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i want to hear a story about a ceo/owner that just literally fired everybody in a fit of rage lol

i am certain that's happened out there

I bet more than one small startup has fired its ceo

Like, everybody simultaneously quits to form the exact same company except without that ceo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you think the management can tell the difference

I'm not even sure I can tell the difference when looking at myself some days tbh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

regardless.. its my wifes friend who has suggested I go for this job... apparently she thinks I have a lot to offer, and she said that so far none of the applicants have impressed the hiring people.

"well, he was terrible in bed so he's probably really good with computers"

sorry, I just had to it. you're alright m8

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
[sparklytext]never speak to third party recruiters[/sparklytext]

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
everybody else here free as a bird and not shackled to their current job by green card processing and i'm over here waking up every morning to the sweet dulcet sounds of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgwLKRPQF8

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

the place i'm working at just has really high turnover instead because they do a good job of looking OK from the outside and then you step in and BAM the bear trap closes

this isn't me at all but i thought i'd eq it anyway

(our place is more like "holy gently caress this tiny company is a dumpster fire that burns blue why would any person sane or insane ever work here")

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LinYutang posted:

my company can't find a talented JS dev to lead frontend work on some teams so there's a bunch of backend devs doing UI work and it's just sadface for everyone involved

ouch

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hey i make up for it in girth okay :mad:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dont touch computers in nyc for less than six figs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They made this totally awesome app but then after waiting 45 minutes for the backend to finish uploading to aws over their 56k modem they decided that maybe this wasn't going to pan out

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
finally filed my green card paperwork last week. current processing times with uscis are approaching 365 275 days, give or take

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mishaq posted:

don't move here, it's bad

the uk is worse

hope you like working in london for 40c on the dollar because there is basically no work outside it

america will survive trump as long as his handlers keep him away from the big red button. britain will continue to sail into 1000 years of tory darkness because we can fix the 99% being dirt poor if we just suck the 1%'s cocks more vigorously

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

boston's tech market is a lot like london's. stupid expensive place to be without the inflated comp to make up for it

maybe it's because boston is actually a place where people want to live unlike nyc and sf

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cis autodrag posted:

i aced the ruby test some recruiter gave me and i dont even know ruby. then i bombed their phone screen because i "seemed hesitant" aka "i actually pause to think before i answer questions".

what, you're not utterly convinced of your own brilliance at all times?

i'm not sure you've got what it takes to be a computer touching techlord

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
computer_nerds.eat_shit()

am i doing this right

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

there was a story in the local news the other day about how restaurants just can't find anyone who would work for $11/hour anymore and don't you feel sorry for the poor small business owners.

gently caress capitalists but especially the petit bourgeois

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

if I was king poo poo of the corporation I'd order hr to fire anyone stupid enough to contribute less than the maximum match because I don't want idiots working for me

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
being a 401k fund manager has got to be the sweetest racket in existence

"so every year i get given a gigantic pile of money that i can skim 4% off the top of and i can piss away anywhere up to half of that pile every year and people will continue to eagerly shovel money at me? GOD drat *inhales a swiss roll made entirely out of cocaine*"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
quite a few people on this dead gay comedy forum enjoy passing their time by doxing and griefing random strangers, so your judgment on this matter is a little suspect imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

thought i had a "long time til no" story, but checking emails it was 6 weeks from "cool we'll get back to you" to "different direction sry"

ive been at this job for 9 months, some startup just emailed me from a paper resume i gave them during the last search. they actually saw that i have a job and are asking for recommendations of other folks, which i thought had a touch of class. so, any of you goobers wanna do FW at an IoT startup?

I am already doing exactly this and still trapped by green card poo poo for another year otherwise I'd be down

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
^ e: nooooooooooooooope

actually wait what am i saying lmao gently caress working for startups

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DuckConference posted:

to be fair Tumblr is probably the best language for writing modern microaggression services

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

after you tell the team, they realize that the director could actually be right this time

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why would you want to work for apple if you don't even use an iphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

do you ideologically object to figgies at one of the first and foremost tech companies on a regular basis?

i think apple might

like i wouldn't be surprised if the interviewer just point blank asked that question

• Locked thread