Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

poty posted:

just bombed an interview i think

like it was the whole morning, ended right at lunchtime and i didnt get invited to go have lunch with them

hah this happened to me recently

even worse, they were interviewing several other people for other positions that day, who I met when I arrived.

They all got invited to lunch and I didn't :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
that one is still a bit of a frustrating mystery --I got a call back from them a few months later asking if I wanted to consult for them as a contractor on several projects, which was cool and what I wanted more than full-time anyway so I submitted babby's first bid

they emailed me back a week later saying they went with somebody else
they didn't say why or try to negotiate or anything... I asked politely too but got stonewalled

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Libraries in the bay area are very good, I borrow books regularly from my local branch and have booked private study rooms to do software projects / whiteboard coding / job interview practice with friends.

Libraries can be very crowded especially since they're one of the few places homeless people can relax indoors without being hassled, but I've had very few bad experiences in libraries altogether.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I've gotten gift cards to very nice restaurants before, they exist and they're nicely printed on good paper with a handwritten amount and serial number, not a plastic card

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
How dumb of an idea is it to leave my boring and micromanaged but decently-paid job for a likely lesser-paying one that gives me way more control over my work and the company's product?

The current job makes a frivolous product (iot toys for rich people), the new job's product is potentially more useful (agricultural tech, but it's a startup)

I am planning to go to grad school in a year anyway, so that limits the damages somewhat if the new ag tech job turns out to be a poo poo decision

It's way too easy for me to just coast with my current job but I'm pretty unfulfilled by it and have thought about leaving for over a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
news flash: pretty much everywhere is better if you're rich

• Locked thread