Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what did they mean 2^16 and 2^32? adding them? i don't get how that tests anything other than knowing middle school level math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gazpacho posted:

Not adding them, knowing them from memory. Do you know the value limits of integer types or are you just going to overflow and give no fucks? There are jobs where that's useful to know.

e: "because it's the limit of integer types & therefore something to watch out for" is the correct reason btw, not the mere inevitability of arithmetic

i understand that i just thought he meant adding them together which didnt make sense to me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yippee cahier posted:

WFH should be the default, especially in high tech and especially in places where cost of living is insane. i don't understand it.

yosposter doesnt understand the value of actual face to face human interaction.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yah we already know you live there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

fyi eschaton, they might ask you to show them my posts, lol. i warned them that they're full of swearing and bad grammar.

lomarf

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Maximo Roboto posted:

is there any way to get paid as much if not more than a dev, but not be a tech. generally the alternate suggestions are

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

how do you even become a PM without going to school for it first

i became a product manager by doing qa and becoming friends with some of the pms and used that to switch departments. i went to music school. try getting a music degree, op.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 13, 2017

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"director" is no more meaningful than "vice president"

at my last job i was a "director" of nothing, with zero reports. just, everyone above a certain pay grade was mandated to be an executive. so, there you have it. a team made up of directors.

at some banks it's not uncommon for literally every member of the tech staff to be a "vice president," for similar reasons

title inflation is inexorable

a coworker who worked at sarnsung in korea for 8 years told me p much everyone gets promoted on a schedule there so everyone is a director by their mid 40s, but they don't need so many directors so there's just rooms filled with directors with no reports and no real responsibilities since the people under director level can't give them any work to do

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if you learned mumps then you can probably pick up python imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you have to have the president of the company personally sign off on a department transfer?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

this place is insane. the president of the company signs off on literally everything that affects budget. he had to personally sign off on all my tuition reimbursements too. there's 10,000 people here but they still act like it's a 100 person company.

it seems like in a company as big as epic he wouldnt have time to do anything else, in which case he would basically just be a finance controller???

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

honestly, is there anything wrong with this?

once you get to the C-suite the exact duties can be pretty permeable. sometimes the COO is the one who makes the strategic decisions, not a CEO. sometimes the CEO does financial controls, not the CFO. sometimes the CTO pulls the levers

and all this goes double for a private or closely-held company

idk i guess. im 4 levels down from the Cs so idk what goes on up there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

lol if your interview to offer turnaround time is only four weeks, just lol

yeah seriously. a few years back we wanted to make a real offer to one of our interns and we started the approval process 3 months before the end of her internship and we couldn't actually give her the formal offer until a month after her internship ended. it's even worse for normal hires.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what the

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Uncle Enzo posted:

you both have a point, and you're right, just saying that the only problems I've ever seen him have a hard time solving are ones fabricated by people trying to be clever

he deals with computer and people problems all day every day. turns out even a dumb question asked in earnest can be easier to understand than one that's been deliberately obfuscated

im the opposite of your brother. i was really lazy about studying and passed all sorts of tests in college when i didn't know the material, just by reading into the wording of the questions and pattern matching. lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

dump wife, pay alimony based on old salary, make more with new salary

this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Management posted:

thanks for all of the gooney advice. there are a lot of details that I didn't mention that factor into this. I would rather stay married than have the money, that's an easy decision for me. I'm just trying to work out if there's any way to make both happen that doesn't kill me with travel. it's unlikely. oh well, some figgies can't be got.

get divorced and take the money

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lancemantis posted:

being a small cog on an everything/nothing project in a large org can suck pretty hard too; imagine being responsible for everything and having layer upon layer of bureaucracy creeping scope on you constantly

hmm i can imagine this really well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hobbesmaster posted:

or you can embrace the scope creep and go over to the sales or product management side

im on the product management side and i still get unwanted scope creeped on me from above, which i then pass on down

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

PCjr sidecar posted:

checks out, they are friends with you so they clearly have poo poo judgement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hi rotor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

individual car ownership is a societal blight and should be punished whenever possible

this x 1000

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

we have 500 employees and 3 or 4 parking spots

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it takes me 17 minutes to bike the 4 km to work because of cars

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

you bike in china?

rip your lungs

the air quality in shenzhen isn't too bad usually

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

MeruFM posted:

uhhhhhhhhhh

it's true. it's still not good quality air but if all of china was like this you wouldn't hear all the horror stories

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it's usually the same as in hong kong, as in "moderate" on the aqi scale: "Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there may be a moderate health concern for a very small number of people who are unusually sensitive to air pollution."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

like today where i live in shenzhen the aqi is pretty similar to the aqi today in london or paris or san fernando valley. it's not great but it's not nearly as bad as most of china

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

no i mean the aqi website that they mention as reputable which uses the same scale and model across the world

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tbh i am really not worried about the air affecting my lifespan significantly. the food and water, though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Twerk from Home posted:

my wife works as a computer toucher for a research hospital

they make her get regular TB tests to touch computers. she's never even in the same building as patients

i assume thats just a blanket policy for every employee though? seems not that unreasonable when u work at a research hospital tbh.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sniep posted:

ya dude i fight that every day

it's hard as hell to come out of ops where i got beat up for working less than 12 hours a day, to being in a leadership role where i'm outside of the operational churn day to day

it's wild, cuz i feel like im not getting anything done, since im not nose to the grindstone all day every day

same. do coworkers around you always seem to be busy with stuff and u dont know what they could possibly be working on so much, too?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i mean im in produc tmanagement now and i see a lot of my coworkers constantly looking busy in excel for like 10 hours a day and i have no idea what they're doing. i waste a buch of time browsing the pos and all my programs are going well so idk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bhodi posted:

wish I had saved it but there is a great picture of a guy on the singapore streets with a hand-printed sign saying that he can do board layout and pcb construction and was looking for work

these guys hang out in my office park in shenzhen with the signs handwritten in chinese

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

aren't they unlimited vacation as long as your manager approves the requests?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my company official policy is everyone has to fly coach on every flight, even transpacific flights

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Elder Postsman posted:

oldjob was like that. i had to fly coach to india. the second leg from toronto to frankfurt wasn't awful, i was the only on in the row, and the very last leg from toronto to minneapolis i was one of like 6 people on the plane. the rest was not a great experience.

here's a tip: if u pass out and collapse in the aisle they will make a little bed in the galley for you and let you lie down. learned that on a hong kong to nyc flight

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mishaq posted:

im flying for 14 hours straight one way in economy next month :smithicide:

i do the 16 hour direct hong kong to nyc flight about once a year and then back again. you get used to it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there is no commercially operated 22 hour flight

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hobbesmaster posted:

though you can be forgiven for forgetting your 2 hours in singapore or narita

after my first transatlantic flight after doing a bunch of transpacific ones i thought "huh that was really short"

yeah that feeling is weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it takes me literally over 30 hours of transit time to visit my parents lmao

• Locked thread