Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
how do you deal with providing professional references when trying to leave your first job in the industry when there's been literally 0 turnover at your company? my employment history after college is working part-time for 6 years, lucking into a job, and being p dece for 4 years. got an interview next week but they just sent me a web form to fill out with 4 required "professional reference" fields.

i got an upcoming phone call the day before the interview and need to know what my outs are here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

lancemantis posted:

if only there was some kind of institution you could go to, where you could be both taught, given assignments, and graded in a consistent manner

some kind of place of higher learning, that could give you some kind of award for matriculating successfully through some kind of program, and that award could be used to demonstrate your knowledge to others

but I guess we'll just have to continue with the chaos :shrug:

if only a CS degree correlated in any way to being able to write code

you wouldn't hire a newspaper writer without asking for a writing sample. the problem is that you also wouldn't ask your potential newspaper writer candidates to write a novel or limit themselves to words under 4 letters or to reimplement shakespeare

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

Btw bloody don't let "do what you :love:" horseshit hold you back, it's ok to have long term goals and press them when the opportunity presents, but on a small scale you should decide which of your proven skills right now have the potential to carry you in that direction _and_ get you a job now, and focus your resume accordingly

you can always do what one of my excoworkers did and lobby hard for projects in areas you want to learn, half-complete them, and leave the company for the job you want, forcing everyone else to pick up your slack

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i was honest and said my company was very likely to reorganize their sw department soon and i guess that was a good enough answer because i got the job

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i got callbacks using indeed -> company portal and stack overflow jobs

got offers from the two postings i was most interested in, which were large companies. every small company i applied to would not hire me because i didn't match all 20 of their job requirement bullet points

i liked stack overflow's interface the best (tons of sites don't accept "C#" as a search term, but SO uses tags) but accepted the offer from a company on indeed. indeed had a LOT more results for C# and .NET in the Boston area. SO had fewer, but the postings that were there seemed higher quality, in that there were fewer consulting groups and more relevance to the search terms

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
a promotion without a raise makes no sense because you could get the same title change plus a raise if you switched companies. long-term, sure it's better than sitting around as "jr developer" for 10 years, but once you get past the jr/entry-level title, current salary dictates your next salary more than your current title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
yeah i'm not advocating disclosing your current salary ever. my point was that it's pointless to take a title change w/ no pay increase. a higher current salary gives you more leverage towards your next salary than your title. like, if you're currently making 80k you're gonna negotiate harder when you get an offer for 85k than you would have if you were only making 70k.

• Locked thread