Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

posted before that the idea of updating my resume (or is it all CVs now) in a way that makes me look like i'm not a shitter, then doing the job hunt and interview thing gives me hives

especially when job requirements pages seem specifically designed to make me feel unqualified (and seemingly only me, given some of the chucklefucks who apply here anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shaman Linavi posted:

this is the hardest part for me since i grew up with and hang out with people that never shut up and i also had a speech impediment
im better now but man when i get in the programming zone i tend to stare into the abyss and mumble to myself and thats not good in an interview

My boss claims he can see my eyes shift and glaze over when I go into the nerd zone, yeah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bloody posted:

we widely acknowledge internally that our fastest promotion track is to leave and come back in a year

this sort of thing bothers me immensely but i don't really know why or specifically what about it does so

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bloody posted:

it suggests that the organization knows it undervalues its employees and doesnt care at all because the organization is rotting

I sort of meant the overall practice of jumping jobs for a paybump, rather than organizational outlook on said

dunno why it bothers me, it's not like i give any real shits about "company loyalty" or w/e, but it does :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

it's the only way to get one nowadays tho unless you're extremely lucky.

yeah, i haven't seen a raise above cost-of-living in five years, and i'm doing better than some of my coworkers in that regard

so yeah my feelings make no goddamn sense, business as usual

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Employers say I could be drug tested or poly'd (lol @ polys) at any time but neither I nor anyone in my group has gotten one in 10+ years :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

are polys even admissible evidence anywhere in the US, i coulda sworn they weren't

e i feel like i asked this once here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

nah theyre super poo poo on everywhere except government. Nobody will poly you in a non-clearance civvie job

why do govt jobs do them? i know 'lol govt' but i 'm genuinely curious if there's more than that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got hired onto my current job of 8.5 years for C++ and that's primarily what I've been doing

For the last ~3 years I've done a few side projects in C#, a couple small WPF/MVVM apps. Probably not enough to claim expertise but enough to be confident that I can look up answers

How would I put that on my CV or resume or whatever it is now to give myself the best outlook for a C# job

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 9, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

how do you all deal with applying for jobs out of city/state/province/whatever

not so much the uprooting, that's a whole different kettle of worms, but like the hunting/interview/finding a new home/getting out from under your lease process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

how long do y'all wait after an application, or after an interview, before you accept/decide that you're not gonna hear anything ever from that company, and move on

i still want to find employment at IGT here but it's been a week and a half since I submitted my app and I haven't heard a peep

it's been so long since i've job hunted that i've even forgotten basic poo poo like this, lomarf

• Locked thread