Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

I sent my resume out for the hell of it to one place where I could do c# remotely, mostly just to get a sense of how strong it looks to other companies these days, and had a response (presumably from the CEO) within a few hours (this is pared down in spots so as to not copy it wholesale)

"interview process involves several steps...first step is a four hour project...at home on your own computer and using the tools you're most familiar with...two versions of the small project:

- backend project focused on basic data processing in C# using ASP.NET MVC.

- frontend engineering project where you'll be working with HTML/CSS/your preferred Javascript framework; requires a small backend API (preferably written in C#)

If your project is strong, we will schedule a project debrief with our team...will ask you questions about your code.

...final stage is a half day of interviews with our engineering team (each one 30-60 minutes)...will cover areas including your past work, programming fundamentals, skills required to work effectively in an engineering team, as well as cultural and mission alignment."

so I can use "the tools I'm familiar with" as long as it's what they say I should use. I haven't written a line of html/css/js in like three years and I've barely touched asp.net mvc, although I could probably figure it out, but this process is first four hours which is realistically 8-10 to do right if you haven't touched the framework, get grilled on said code, then get grilled further for half a day

interviews are garbage

that sounds pretty good from an interview standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

which private address space is better for what? what the gently caress does that question even mean

the interviewer is probably a mac user and just discovered ip addresses.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaman Linavi posted:

the Epic test was fun because it was like "here is a totally made up language lets see if you can figure it out" and it was actually a bunch of MUMPS questions

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if I see p-langs on a resume it goes straight into the trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

is there any way to get paid as much if not more than a dev, but not be a tech. generally the alternate suggestions are

* engineering management
* product management
* project management
* sales engineering
* technical writer
* recruiter

how do you even become a PM without going to school for it first

pm is about convincing the parties involved that your planning is right. this can be by bringing evidence to back your timelines based on resources and past performance, or it could be lying though your teeth in the most convincing manner until you get put on a different project.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it shouldn't but it inevitably will

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Learn this one weird trick to get your finances in order! Creditors hate this!!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

it's a pretty hosed up story, but otoh maybe they saw the header image on his blog cos that would make me doubt he's a legit software engineer also

yeah lol @ anyone using python or other p-langs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

good news: this local company with an office 10 minutes from my house wants to fill 12 positions of all experience levels with C# people and Angular people to build a new ecommerce platform and they pay $60k which is good for this area

bad news: it's a weight loss MLM operation

I'm morally conflicted here

probably a pretty easy gig you could do in ur spare time. angular sucks tho.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Do the interview but teach them garbage like node.js

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
That's a pretty good adult test. If they can't come up w/ an office appropriate joke there's probably something wrong w/ them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

actually money is incredibly freeing. it's not having money that's the prison.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

in case somebody here doesn't know what ghost bikes are, they're this

a permanent daily reminder on my commute that death is coming. 1700 cyclists hit by cars in houston since 2013 https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jan/04/houston-hit-run-personalised-ghost-bikes-invisible-dead-cyclists

irl high score tables. that rules

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

yeah don't bike on us roads because they're massive, people speed well in excess of the high speed limits, everyone is texting and driving, and the barrier to getting a drivers license is laughably low

a nice two lane new zealand and road is a different story

speed limits are arbitrarily set for monetary gain and have no relation to safety. the road was built with a specific speed in mind and drivers will naturally drive at that speed. bicycles are not capable of traveling at safe speeds with normal traffic and thus have no business on the road.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Shaggar I like you but I need to understand what makes you think cars have an inherent right to exist over a bicycle.

cars are useful transportation and bicycles are not. the problem is that even if you were to design slow "roads" for bicycles now you're in the same range as pedestrians. since pedestrians outnumber bicycles they would get priority on any such mixed use paths. and in most cases you don't really have a lot of room for all of this so the priority would go to paths and roadways pedestrians and cars.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think a better question is why do you think bicycles should be allowed on the roads when they clearly cannot be operated safely?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bicycles wouldn't be a replacement for cars in cities though. subway/elevated rail is the only proper replacement.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I think the lesson should be to peel back car usage in non-ideal circumstances, meaning any trip that is A) Not long distance, and B) not mandated via a health concern or handicap.

I don't think "gently caress bikes" is the lesson you should take from the modern city experience, if anything it should be "gently caress cars." lol at this happening in America, however.

They can be operated safely, just not in a context of cars monopolizing all available space and roadway because they were there first. Your premise is that cars must be the predominant form of transport, and I disagree with that assessment.

its impossible to design roads to be mixed use between cars and bicycles since cars are infinitely more capable than bicycles. My premise is when deciding what to do with limited space, you should give it to cars as they are the more effective transport.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

lol 8am. someone should tell this guy he's hiring engineers

8am means the contact at the company doesn't have time to do it during the day which means they are bad at scheduling. probably avoid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Iverron posted:

Holy poo poo, this job offer for computer touching is contingent on a physical and immunizations, never mind the piss harvesting. :staredog:

immunizations i could understand (esp in CA) but lol @ physical + drug testing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

marketing is bullshit but it has measurable goals at least,

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in your exit interview explain how the Linux creates a hostile work environment.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

wtf is devops

a sysadmin that can script?

yes but with whatever the current script fads are ex: ruby based deployments lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

id rather live in boston than sf

4 sure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

i aced the ruby test some recruiter gave me and i dont even know ruby. then i bombed their phone screen because i "seemed hesitant" aka "i actually pause to think before i answer questions".

sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also because of the ruby. and also because honestly it sounds like bs and they had maybe less kosher reasons

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"culture fit" is way too obvious these days so they gotta come up w/ something else

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
C# code:
var job = new [] { oldJob, newJob }.Max(job=>job.Figgies);

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
SSIS is great for dumb excel poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Iverron posted:

I asked how many weeks developers typically take off per year at my last interview with an "unlimited" company and the response was "generally we don't take off weeks, just long weekends". Probably for the best I didn't get an offer from there.

We had a fresh out of uni guy recently who's solution to literally any database concern was to talk about building an SSIS package. It was a super weird thing to work around.

ssis is really fuckin good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
industrial PLCs were iot before iot complete with totally idiotic security ideas. they're probably pretty fun to work on tho.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hah, i didn't even consider cell access. all the people I know who deal w/ them (ex: my brother) have them open to the internet on consumer grade connections.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
atleast if you're selling the modem w/ the PLC equipment you could also mandate a firewhale and some kind of vpn.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
:negative:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
report to whom? for loans its just salary cause they care about cash flow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for financial poo poo they'll ask you for exactly what they need and you should give it to them. lying about it is very bad as it gives the other party a mechanism to put more liability on to you.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can provide the details to the banker and they will decide how relevant it is. theoretically it is a form of income.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 8, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DuckConference posted:

to be fair Tumblr is probably the best language for writing modern microaggression services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or just tell them you wanted a phone that has an os as clowny as ios 7+ but that had a headphone jack.

• Locked thread