Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

if you use it enough that you care about the interface, you're using cli/scripting

other products are expected to have good web interfaces AND good CLIs AND good APIs for external configuration

load balancers
firewalls
etc

switches get a pass and are still a fuckin bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
we were a nearly all-ADTRAN shop at the last place i worked at. routers and switches. they seemed solid enough? the web UI was finicky though - depending on which individual switch or router you were connecting to, it would tend to hang and not load in any timely fashion unless you used either chrome or IE. so, switch A's webgui would only play nice with chrome, and switch B's webgui would only play nice with IE. weird

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

other products are expected to have good web interfaces AND good CLIs AND good APIs for external configuration

load balancers
firewalls
etc

our dell equallogics had an okay GUI but it required Java to run. barf

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

we were a nearly all-ADTRAN shop at the last place i worked at. routers and switches. they seemed solid enough? the web UI was finicky though - depending on which individual switch or router you were connecting to, it would tend to hang and not load in any timely fashion unless you used either chrome or IE. so, switch A's webgui would only play nice with chrome, and switch B's webgui would only play nice with IE. weird

our dell equallogics had an okay GUI but it required Java to run. barf

That equallogic GUI is the worst thing ever

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i like fortigate's cli where *everything* is in sections. much better than cisco's dump everything in the same scope garbage. the rest of fortigate... well it does the job until you get backdoored lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

no you still have to pay that guy anyways

not for people that would buy merakai

the msp doesn't really need to know much either

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

we were a nearly all-ADTRAN shop at the last place i worked at. routers and switches. they seemed solid enough? the web UI was finicky though - depending on which individual switch or router you were connecting to, it would tend to hang and not load in any timely fashion unless you used either chrome or IE. so, switch A's webgui would only play nice with chrome, and switch B's webgui would only play nice with

adtran has a telco legacy so that poo poo has to be at least somewhat reliable and follow standards properly

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

load balancers
firewalls
etc

Firewalls and load balancers have decent GUIs because they often fall under the purview of non-Network people. Information Security for the former, Application/Infrastructure management for the latter.

It's always expected that you'll have a network guy, but you might not have a dude doing one of the other roles I mentioned. In a small business, anyway.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

not for people that would buy merakai
the msp doesn't really need to know much either

nah, maraki gear still needs an admin who knows what to do, be it an internal guy, or an external msp. guys who don't have the baseline knowledge of how to setup a network properly are almost guaranteed to fuckup a meraki deployment.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

nah, maraki gear still needs an admin who knows what to do, be it an internal guy, or an external msp. guys who don't have the baseline knowledge of how to setup a network properly are almost guaranteed to fuckup a meraki deployment.

you really think so? a small company with 2-3 offices that just needs some site to site vpns and remote access vpns for remote/traveling employees is pretty drat simple to set up and maintain

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

you really think so? a small company with 2-3 offices that just needs some site to site vpns and remote access vpns for remote/traveling employees is pretty drat simple to set up and maintain

you have more faith than me then

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

you have more faith than me then

merakai makes that kinda poo poo dead simple to setup and maintain

don't even need static ips

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

That equallogic GUI is the worst thing ever

mlyp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drat I just got a victory scored over me

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Metamako? Surprisingly not that expensive, L1 switching not that great though.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

merakai makes that kinda poo poo dead simple to setup and maintain

don't even need static ips

yeah i know, but i've already had to fix a few meraki deployments where they did really dumb and bad things

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Cisco is your best bet overall for switches if you want something that is going to work, "no one has ever been fired for buying cisco" etc. The edge switches have always had a lot of features but it's out of control now in a good way, you can run mpls vpns to the edge with the 3650 range now if you want

If you want something a bit different cumulus linux running on whatever hardware you want gives you more flexibility because it's just a linux OS running on hardware. Bad idea for the campus but probably good in the DC.

Arista is similar for DC poo poo, they are known for ultra low latency switching and it's built on fedora so you can use them as servers too if you wanted

Dell is basically cisco with a (in my opinion) shittier CLI and much cheaper hardware. I've never had any real problems with them and they have a good ecosystem because people really like dell blade chassis for some reason.

Comedy option is Enterasys if you don't mind shitloads of hardware and software issues in exchange for a stupidly low cost

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

MrMoo posted:

check your bean dip layers there son

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i have a rb2011 and it's fine but not for low info computer users

MrMoo posted:

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hifi posted:

i have a rb2011 and it's fine but not for low info computer users

lol

haha! the sex number!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Captain Foo posted:

haha! the sex number!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we have some Sophos UTM firewhales and their interface is pretty good. its a linux underneath tho

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

just get ciscos.

no, juniper, then you can learn junos instead of ios

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

eschaton posted:

no, juniper, then you can learn junos instead of ios

:agreed:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

never got to use it in prod but Junos seems real cool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
juniper is dying, now is definitely the wrong time to invest in junos skills

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

do you literally have an (often wrong) opinion on everything?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

do you literally have an (often wrong) opinion on everything?

wsj posted:

Juniper reported a loss of $769.6 million, or $1.81 a share, compared with a profit of $151.8 million, or 30 cents a share, a year earlier.

Excluding share-based compensation, the goodwill-impairment charge, restructuring-related charges and other items, earnings fell to 41 cents a share from 43 cents.

Revenue decreased 13.5% to $1.1 billion.

hey guys if we exclude the basic costs of employee compensation we almost have earnings!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ericsson and nokia are doing terribly too, it's almost as if network/telecom infrastructure vendors regularly go through boom and bust cycles?!

or i could just continue to post on a comedy internet forum opinions about everything as if i have an intimate understanding of them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

ericsson and nokia are doing terribly too, it's almost as if network/telecom infrastructure vendors regularly go through boom and bust cycles?!

or, maybe they're all legacy vendors eating poo poo in the face of cheaper, better commodity competition

IT spend goes up every year, and switching as a share of IT spend is going up, but juniper revenue is falling. does that sound cyclical to you?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

or, maybe they're all legacy vendors eating poo poo in the face of cheaper, better commodity competition

IT spend goes up every year, and switching as a share of IT spend is going up, but juniper revenue is falling. does that sound cyclical to you?

lol if you think the majority of juniper, ericsson or nokia's revenue is due to "it spend" and not "verizon/at&t/telia sonera spend"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I said it was cool, idiot hell fucker

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

cool, cool

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if juniper die before avaya's networking efforts i will be upset

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

lol if you think the majority of juniper, ericsson or nokia's revenue is due to "it spend" and not "verizon/at&t/telia sonera spend"

that's a fair point, juniper says 67% of revenue comes from service providers in their sec 10k filing

that makes them double-doomed then. nobody wants their enterprise garbage, their security products are a mess, and overpriced telecom gear is probably not a growth industry

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

ii like aruba/hp/comware/whatever:

2900 series are great because they can do anything and they are a best bang 4 the buck in the Switch Market
2800 are good too if you dont need the flexibility of the 2900 series
2600 series is not deal breakingly terrible, but they are tainted by the java web gui even though it should never be used.
1900 series are trash poo poo because comware is crap and you have to hack your way into the cli

also yeah dont use web interfaces. cli or die.

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 18, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's a fair point, juniper says 67% of revenue comes from service providers in their sec 10k filing

that makes them double-doomed then. nobody wants their enterprise garbage, their security products are a mess, and overpriced telecom gear is probably not a growth industry

they might get acquired, but junos isnt going anywhere dipshit

the packets that were involved in making this post went through many juniper devices

Thanks Ants posted:

if juniper die before avaya's networking efforts i will be upset

avaya is about to file for bankruptcy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

they might get acquired, but junos isnt going anywhere dipshit

the packets that were involved in making this post went through many juniper devices

well, IOS-XR isn't going anywhere, either. it will take 10+ years to phase it out. but i can guarantee you there will not be deployments at any new customers, because nobody is really interested in getting out that and selling it. even cisco would rather sell you nx-os

in the event that juniper goes down, your junos skills will be valuable to a smaller customer base every year, because the acquirer will be cisco or huawei or someone else who already has a competing product

couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 18, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

vas0line posted:

ii like aruba/hp/comware/whatever:

2900 series are great because they can do anything and they are a best bang 4 the buck in the Switch Market
2800 are good too if you dont need the flexibility of the 2900 series
2600 series is not deal breakingly terrible, but they are tainted by the java web gui even though it should never be used.
1900 series are trash poo poo because comware is crap and you have to hack your way into the cli

also yeah dont use web interfaces. cli or die.

the modern hp stuff is made by huawei / h3c.

i have not used any of it but it surely can't be worse than pre-h3c hp was

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

even cisco would rather sell you nx-os

no routers use nx-os

you have no idea what you're talking about

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol if you don't care about latency enough to use arista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

no routers use nx-os

you have no idea what you're talking about

would you prefer ios-xr?

• Locked thread