Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

would you prefer ios-xr?

how about ASA os?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i don't "prefer" anything i just get a little grated by nbsd having specific opinions on EVERYTHING when its clear he knows nothing about networking beyond top of rack switches

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
arista seems like they won't get sued out of existence which is good because we have a bunch of them.

alternatively quanta will sell you 48 10GbE ports for about 3.5k USD and then you put linux on it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i wouldn't mind doing layer 2 poo poo with whitebox/commodity switches but lol if you do your layer 3 with cheap garbage

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I got a 2 layer poo poo for u right here

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
poo poo lasagne

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

:jackbud:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

More like layer 8 poo poo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

no routers use nx-os

you have no idea what you're talking about

so a nexus 9000 is ... not a router?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

i don't "prefer" anything i just get a little grated by nbsd having specific opinions on EVERYTHING when its clear he knows nothing about networking beyond top of rack switches

it's true that i know fuckall about telecoms

but this is not a thread about telecom providers

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's 2016 just slap together whatever has the ports you want, unless you care about latency. Ooo my web interface lmao.

ACTUALLY that's a below center rack switch not a top of rack switch ahaha we gotcha now!!! *pays extra licensing fees*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's 2016 just slap together whatever has the ports you want, unless you care about latency. Ooo my web interface lmao.

cisco's "low latency" switches are their commodity trash lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah if you do care about latency you gotta actually know about vendors, or at least about arista because that's the one that's low latency.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

technincally... no?

quote:

Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Switches

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

lol if you think the majority of juniper, ericsson or nokia's revenue is due to "it spend" and not "verizon/at&t/telia sonera spend"

Yeah but all of those guys have started mandating the move to SDN where they just buy COTs hardware and all the routing, switching, firewalls and poo poo go through that instead.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nope

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

nbsd is literally incapable of not being a know it all on every possible topic in yospos lol

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 30, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Janitor Prime posted:

Yeah but all of those guys have started mandating the move to SDN where they just buy COTs hardware and all the routing, switching, firewalls and poo poo go through that instead.

for on prem/hosted cpe and maybe simple provider edge poo poo, yeah

still a long way away from the core not using dedicated hardware for routing due to performance of asics vs software

and last mile access infrastructure will always be some form of hardware, but that's easily commoditized yeah

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
some omron

cherry

sanwa denshi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

for on prem/hosted cpe and maybe simple provider edge poo poo, yeah

facebook and google are probably the most sdn on a network level.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

facebook and google are probably the most sdn on a network level.

datacenter networking is an entirely different beast than service provider networking

it's pretty loving cool though that the major buyers of submarine network capacity these days are google/facebook/microsoft et al instead of traditional telcos because of datacenter interconnection needs

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

datacenter networking is an entirely different beast than service provider networking

hell yeah

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

speaking of telecoms. is anyone terminating end user sessions on cheap commodity linuxes or is it cisco/juniper/alcatel all the way down

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i would imagine that would depend on who is responsible for managing your cpe and whether or not you give a poo poo about your sla being honored

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
optus (Singtel in Australia) wrote an open source LNS called l2tpns to terminate l2tp DSL customers on but it hasn't been used for ages

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cheers, that looks very interesting.
the other one I've seen mentioned is https://github.com/xelerance/xl2tpd

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

HAH

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

let's put a metal lever on a live high voltage machine :haw:

i could never trust those fuckers

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
come on DSLAM and welcome to the LAN

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 24, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Olivil posted:

[MAGIC]

[MORE MAGIC]

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abraham linkedin posted:

come on DSLAM and welcome to the LAN

lol

lol

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

mellanox's 10gbe/40gbe switches are surprisingly cheap. what the catch?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Raere posted:

mellanox's 10gbe/40gbe switches are surprisingly cheap. what the catch?

i have indirect experience with some mellanox poo poo and its pretty good

infiniband and ethernet in the same box

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Switching is the easy bit, routing is when the price escalates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i like ubiquiti but the lack of stacking severely limits their usefulness in anything other than the smallest scenarios

• Locked thread