Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kalli posted:

Releasing Revis ruins their cap right? I think he's set the stage to uh 'gracefully' retire in the offseason to free the Jets from that.

They should probably just IR him though.

They are on the hook for 6M next year for him no matter what and there is ZERO chance he's going to walk away from that. When has Revis ever walked away from a red cent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Ryan "48 on the wonderlic" Fitzpatrick showed his smarts by scamming one last payday out of a team

They save $9m on the cap if they release him after this season it looks like

I'm not sure how it works when you release someone mid season. His salary is guaranteed once the season starts right?

Yeah there's no point in releasing him now unless they need the roster spot.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

fartknocker posted:

Related:

There were also others. :laugh:

You're the best, don't ever let anyone tell you different

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yeah there's no point in releasing him now unless they need the roster spot.

Of course there is a point. Send a message the disgraceful way in which he's playing is not going to be tolerated.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This press conference on the McKnight case is something else.
http://www.katc.com/story/33941581/jpso-to-hold-press-conference-update-on-joe-mcknight-case

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

mcmagic posted:

Of course there is a point. Send a message the disgraceful way in which he's playing is not going to be tolerated.

If thats the bar then the Jets wouldn't be able to field a team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

swickles posted:

If thats the bar then the Jets wouldn't be able to field a team.

There is a difference between bad play and players mailing games in.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Somehow, someway, the Bears are still in the playoff race

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I tuned in and the first thing I hear is "black on black crime"

also "TWO adult males behaved in unacceptable conduct"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
That rear end in a top hat is going to get away with it isn't he

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Only Playoff scenarios for 4 teams this week:

Cowboys:
* Clinch division with a win
* First round bye: Win + Seahawks loss or Lions Loss/Tie
* #1 seed: Win + both of the above.

Seahawks:
* Clinch division with win and Cardinals loss or tie
* or tie with Cardinals loss

Patriots:
* Clinch division with win & Dolphins loss or tie
* Tie & Dolphins loss
* First round bye: Win & Dolphins loss/tie & Steelers loss or tie

Raiders:
Clinch playoff birth with:
* win + Broncos loss or Dolphins loss/tie
* Tie + Dolphins loss & Ravens tie/loss OR Steelers tie/loss

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

That rear end in a top hat is going to get away with it isn't he

Just let deflategate go friend

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Blarfk posted:

First step on the path to an all-white jury acquitting him

lol god loving drat it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Ryan "48 on the wonderlic" Fitzpatrick showed his smarts by scamming one last payday out of a team

They save $9m on the cap if they release him after this season it looks like

I'm not sure how it works when you release someone mid season. His salary is guaranteed once the season starts right?

It depends on his contract. If the contract guarantees his salary (which it is for 2016), then he gets paid either way. Lots of guys have per-game salaries, though. If you cut one of those guys, you save their remaining salary against the cap. This money basically becomes rollover credit for next year's cap.

Cutting someone mid-season is basically the same as cutting them before June 1st in the following year. Their current bonus/obligations continue to count toward this year's cap, and then the remaining money accelerates onto next year's cap. So there's no financial incentive to cut Revis now, but there could be a coaching reason. He's owned a $2M roster bonus if he's still on the team on the 2nd day of the league year next year, so I strongly doubt he'll remain with the team that long.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Just dropping in to say gently caress Jeff Fisher

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

The parish sheriff adjusts his waistline and pulls his pants up further under his enormous gut

"I'm sure he didn't mean ta hurt that boyah"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The fact that he's only being charged with manslaughter is horseshit.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Kalli posted:

Only Playoff scenarios for 4 teams this week:

Cowboys:
* Clinch division with a win
* First round bye: Win + Seahawks loss or Lions Loss/Tie
* #1 seed: Win + both of the above.

Seahawks:
* Clinch division with win and Cardinals loss or tie
* or tie with Cardinals loss

Patriots:
* Clinch division with win & Dolphins loss or tie
* Tie & Dolphins loss
* First round bye: Win & Dolphins loss/tie & Steelers loss or tie

Raiders:
Clinch playoff birth with:
* win + Broncos loss or Dolphins loss/tie
* Tie + Dolphins loss & Ravens tie/loss OR Steelers tie/loss

Geez, I can't believe the Cowboys can already clinch a #1 seed...not that it'll happen because Detroit takes on Chicago, but still.

Oh and the McKnight thing is so loving hosed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm surprised he is even being charged with that, considering the obvious and also the fact that Louisiana has that stand your ground law which basically says you have the right to shoot someone for walking towards you in a menacing way

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the eyewitness reports are true its straight up 2nd degree but honestly, it's better this than what it looked like was happening before.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

If the eyewitness reports are true its straight up 2nd degree but honestly, it's better this than what it looked like was happening before.

Yeah, based on the eyewitness report he executed a man who was no longer a threat (if McKnight ever even was a threat).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The sad thing is if he wasn't a football player we would have never heard about this and Gasser probably wouldn't have been charged

Chichevache posted:

(if McKnight ever even was a threat).

Uh you saw how black he was right?

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Gynecolojustice posted:

I'm surprised he is even being charged with that, considering the obvious and also the fact that Louisiana has that stand your ground law which basically says you have the right to shoot someone for walking towards you in a menacing way

Not to cause a giant derail here, but how does this practically work? Could you conceivably just randomly shoot someone and, as long as there were no witnesses around, tell police they were approaching you in a menacing way and get away with it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blarfk posted:

Not to cause a giant derail here, but how does this practically work? Could you conceivably just randomly shoot someone and, as long as there were no witnesses around, tell police they were approaching you in a menacing way and get away with it?

As long as your victim is Black and you aren't you'd almost certainly get away with it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Skwirl posted:

As long as your victim is Black and you aren't you'd almost certainly get away with it.

Also if you are wealthy and your victim isn't, you will probably beat it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
In this dude's case he used to work for the sheriff's office or something apparently so I'm shocked he's being charged at all

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Blarfk posted:

You do realize you just basically described the Trayvon Martin case, right?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Intruder posted:

In this dude's case he used to work for the sheriff's office or something apparently so I'm shocked he's being charged at all

You got it backwards.

The guy who raised McKnight used to work for the sheriff's office.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Intruder posted:

He did? I thought it was McKnight that had the connection to the sheriff's office. Wasn't he raised by someone that used to work for them?

Edit: Beaten like this white guy beating the manslaughter charge.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Jets and San Fran is gonna be the best game of the season just watch

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

whypick1 posted:

You do realize you just basically described the Trayvon Martin case, right?

:(

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Releasing Revis ruins their cap right? I think he's set the stage to uh 'gracefully' retire in the offseason to free the Jets from that.

They should probably just IR him though.

IR - Checking account full

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

The sad thing is if he wasn't a football player we would have never heard about this and Gasser probably wouldn't have been charged

Uh you saw how black he was right?

gently caress, and he's Cam Newton black and not Russell Wilson black. Gasser is never going to get a roughing the passermurder charge.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Another hilarious indication of how terrible that Colts roster is :

quote:

This was Luck's fifth career four-touchdown, zero-interception game, and his first since the season opener against Detroit. He has gone 3-2 in those games, which seems like the most Andrew Luck stat ever.

from quick reads

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ugh god tff please stop "interpreting" laws

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

'This is not about race,' said a defiant Normand, who banged on his podium multiple times while delivering his remarks, during which he fired off racial and homophobic slurs when describing the way his staff had been attacked by members of the public.

Then, while taking questions, he began to reference black-on-black crime statistics, using these as an example of why public outcry about this white-on-black shooting is misguided.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ugh god tff please stop "interpreting" laws

Are you the fin lawyer Crazy (I think you are) and if so what is your take on this, I'd like to see an educated opinion.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I was only referencing Louisiana stand your ground law, which is different than Florida, and Trayvon Martin.

I'm like 99% sure we have an actual criminal defense (or prosecutor) who posts here. I'll let him explain the likely reasons he's being charged with MS. I'm a contracts attorney.

From the point of view that you believe the eyewitness account, this looks egregious as poo poo. But I've seen, personally, a few cases that have looked horrible until you read the documents. If no one speaks up I'll pull the court docs, review, and give my opinion.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Normand said the witness told 3 different stories in one hour, so he/she doesn't seem to be very reliable. So you can stop talking about the eyewitness now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Normand said the witness told 3 different stories in one hour, so he/she doesn't seem to be very reliable. So you can stop talking about the eyewitness now

No eyewitness is completely reliable and stories change constantly, even when the person isn't lying. A story that never changes and is exactly the same every time is suspicious as gently caress and possibly a lie.

• Locked thread