Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
tacos
Flour tortilla
Corn tortilla
Crispy corn tortilla
View Results

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

since this is a team ico thread I'm going to post about SotC here.

I haven't played through it in a few years so this time to kind of relive the magic of my first playthrough I'm not using the sword to show me where to go. Currently Wandering around looking for the 3rd Colossus and collecting fruit and lizard tails while taking in the scenery (and taking notes). this is some great gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I've still only beaten the first colossus. I really owe it to myself to beat it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I've still only beaten the first colossus. I really owe it to myself to beat it

Even today they're the best boss fights in gaming

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it's so crazy to me that there are all the collectibles and unlockable weapons hidden away in the game. you can play through the game completely without ever encountering them, and it's this smooth beautiful streamlined experience, very much unlike most games. but it was there all along...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

it's so crazy to me that there are all the collectibles and unlockable weapons hidden away in the game. you can play through the game completely without ever encountering them, and it's this smooth beautiful streamlined experience, very much unlike most games. but it was there all along...

Well all of the weapons and items are ng+ only, and you get them by doing time attack. It would have been really neat for them to be in different places throughout the world, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

It was cool unlocking these in time attack and then realizing they went a little wild mechanically but made the first playthrough simple. It's like if boss weapons were only available on a second run of a mega man game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im going to kill the arbys social media manager

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

He's got you thinking Arby's, huh?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

A boy, a sandwich, a best friend and a bold dip. Every journey has a beginning #thelastaujus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

A boy, a sandwich, a best friend and a bold dip. Every journey has a beginning #thelastaujus

Lmao

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

i read on neogaf home of neil degrasse tysons posting account for gaming, you have to use your real email no hotmails no gmails no yahoos that the frame rate is bad, liek sub 30fps sometimes. zuh?

i learned on neogaf that caring about framerates is literally video game elitism so its p.sad to see this kind of crap being extolled over at SA thbqh hth.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

i learned on neogaf that caring about framerates is literally video game elitism so its p.sad to see this kind of crap being extolled over at SA thbqh hth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lmfao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i am

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lmfao

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Loss edits getting esoteric

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Hey, just wanna say that this game is definitely a masterpiece!!!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Loss edits getting esoteric

Please don't make this bad GBS reference in this forum in the future

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I couldn't get my PS4 to connect to the WifI at home and its too much hassle to run a cable from my co-workers apartment (where the wifi router is) to my room. :smith:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Please don't make this bad GBS reference in this forum in the future

Very rude

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

I couldn't get my PS4 to connect to the WifI at home and its too much hassle to run a cable from my co-workers apartment (where the wifi router is) to my room. :smith:

try manually setting the dns to like googles or something through custom setup

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I beat it last night. I wrote a big rear end post about in Games but I'll keep it short and sweet here. It's a masterpiece, and I think it exceeds Ueda's other games. There has never been a game on this level emotionally. The ending was so powerful. I was stunned. Easily my favorite game of the year.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I agree with beepstreet.. After beating the last guardian then going back to play shadow of the colossus and ico HD, I can't believe how many reviewers gave this game a 7... I mean the only criticism they really brought up was how Trico could be frustrating in his disobedience (which is true, but what the gently caress, every review also went on about how great the AI is despite this, but would Trico be as believable if he didn't sometime gently caress around for a few minutes at a time?), and the camera being shoddy in smaller rooms etc, which I didn't find to be a problem aside from literally two times when I was stuck under Trico and the camera was just like black, but I pretty quickly climbed around whatever part of Trico was blocking me. I just don't understand how you could play through this entire game, with it's exceptional story, uniqueness, Trico's incredible AI, the emotional depth of your bond with Trico, and the graphics (I also saw a lot of complaints about graphics, maybe not from reviews as much as youtube comments which is to be expected, which I think is insane, the game is loving beautiful, name another game with architecture that is anywhere near as impressive and beautiful, graphically as well as just aesthetically, as the towers and bridges that are spread throughout the nest).

Anyways, this game far exceeded my really loving high expectations, I didn't expect that much from a Team Ico game, it's still minimal as hell in its' gameplay, but the story and the world are way more complex than either of the previous two games, and I obviously had high expectations, as someone who's been waiting for this game since that first screenshot of the chain was released like 8 or so years ago. The only thing I wish there was more of was like, secret poo poo hidden throughout the nest, it doesn't really reward you for exploring at all, I mean the rewards for collecting the barrels are cool, but I thought the secrets in SotC and Ico, especially the HD version of Ico with unlockable co op and yorda's text getting translated, were a lot cooler. But that's literally my only "complaint" which is a small one, and maybe even wouldn't be that cool, I like the fact that you only get a single item, there's no HUD, no health.. Come to think of it, as I typed that, I realized that I didn't die a single time from getting taken through the doors by the enemies, and didn't even come close until the very last bit, the last time you even fight the enemies was the only time the doors even opened. So I guess that could've been a bit more difficult, but I did die plenty of times from falling, so it didn't really matter.

Even before I beat the game and found out how incredible the story really was, I was shocked at IGN's 7/10 review, that's loving ridiculous. I mean I'm not really a hardcore "gamer", this and "Inside" were the only games to come out this year that I actually played to completion and would gladly play again, so maybe I'm not qualified to say what makes a "good game" in 2016, but the games I do plabey I'm very passionate about. Considering that I nearly bought a PS4 just to play the Last Guardian until my good friend pre ordered it because of how much I'd hyped it up and also because I made him play SotC, I think that shows how much I wanted to play this game. I'm glad I didn't buy a PS4 right now though, can't really think of any other games I'd buy for it.. I guess I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3 and the FF7 remake, and both of those seem like they might be PS5 titles at this point. I will eventually buy a PS4 though, so I can replay this game at my own pace (my friend was kind enough to basically let me play through the entire game, he said it was almost as much fun to watch as it was to play, which I thought was just him being nice, but watching him play what he did play was also really satisfying..), and just so I own every Team Ico game, I currently own the PS2 and PS3 versions of both Ico and SotC, and I want to have this game too, even if it is the only PS4 game I end up owning/enjoying.

gently caress IGN and whoever else gave this game less than an 8.5 even, I still can't believe that it's metacritic isn't at least 90, it's a loving shame when there's lovely games that get better metacritic reviews, taking a brief look, "zen pinball 2: Bethesda Pinball" got a goddamn 80, and the last guardian got an 83. Jesus fuckkiinnggg hcakhdsurisdf

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Imhotep posted:

I agree with beepstreet.. After beating the last guardian then going back to play shadow of the colossus and ico HD, I can't believe how many reviewers gave this game a 7... I mean the only criticism they really brought up was how Trico could be frustrating in his disobedience (which is true, but what the gently caress, every review also went on about how great the AI is despite this, but would Trico be as believable if he didn't sometime gently caress around for a few minutes at a time?), and the camera being shoddy in smaller rooms etc, which I didn't find to be a problem aside from literally two times when I was stuck under Trico and the camera was just like black, but I pretty quickly climbed around whatever part of Trico was blocking me. I just don't understand how you could play through this entire game, with it's exceptional story, uniqueness, Trico's incredible AI, the emotional depth of your bond with Trico, and the graphics (I also saw a lot of complaints about graphics, maybe not from reviews as much as youtube comments which is to be expected, which I think is insane, the game is loving beautiful, name another game with architecture that is anywhere near as impressive and beautiful, graphically as well as just aesthetically, as the towers and bridges that are spread throughout the nest).

Anyways, this game far exceeded my really loving high expectations, I didn't expect that much from a Team Ico game, it's still minimal as hell in its' gameplay, but the story and the world are way more complex than either of the previous two games, and I obviously had high expectations, as someone who's been waiting for this game since that first screenshot of the chain was released like 8 or so years ago. The only thing I wish there was more of was like, secret poo poo hidden throughout the nest, it doesn't really reward you for exploring at all, I mean the rewards for collecting the barrels are cool, but I thought the secrets in SotC and Ico, especially the HD version of Ico with unlockable co op and yorda's text getting translated, were a lot cooler. But that's literally my only "complaint" which is a small one, and maybe even wouldn't be that cool, I like the fact that you only get a single item, there's no HUD, no health.. Come to think of it, as I typed that, I realized that I didn't die a single time from getting taken through the doors by the enemies, and didn't even come close until the very last bit, the last time you even fight the enemies was the only time the doors even opened. So I guess that could've been a bit more difficult, but I did die plenty of times from falling, so it didn't really matter.

Even before I beat the game and found out how incredible the story really was, I was shocked at IGN's 7/10 review, that's loving ridiculous. I mean I'm not really a hardcore "gamer", this and "Inside" were the only games to come out this year that I actually played to completion and would gladly play again, so maybe I'm not qualified to say what makes a "good game" in 2016, but the games I do plabey I'm very passionate about. Considering that I nearly bought a PS4 just to play the Last Guardian until my good friend pre ordered it because of how much I'd hyped it up and also because I made him play SotC, I think that shows how much I wanted to play this game. I'm glad I didn't buy a PS4 right now though, can't really think of any other games I'd buy for it.. I guess I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3 and the FF7 remake, and both of those seem like they might be PS5 titles at this point. I will eventually buy a PS4 though, so I can replay this game at my own pace (my friend was kind enough to basically let me play through the entire game, he said it was almost as much fun to watch as it was to play, which I thought was just him being nice, but watching him play what he did play was also really satisfying..), and just so I own every Team Ico game, I currently own the PS2 and PS3 versions of both Ico and SotC, and I want to have this game too, even if it is the only PS4 game I end up owning/enjoying.

gently caress IGN and whoever else gave this game less than an 8.5 even, I still can't believe that it's metacritic isn't at least 90, it's a loving shame when there's lovely games that get better metacritic reviews, taking a brief look, "zen pinball 2: Bethesda Pinball" got a goddamn 80, and the last guardian got an 83. Jesus fuckkiinnggg hcakhdsurisdf
Zen Pinball 2: Bethesda Pinball

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I would rather play any number of the classic worst games of all time, like Superman 64, ET, etc. than play any loving pinball game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Imhotep posted:

I would rather play any number of the classic worst games of all time, like Superman 64, ET, etc. than play any loving pinball game.
Pinball owns. It's win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Imhotep posted:

I too wish it was causing more of a positive splash on the internet, but consider this - Most games reviewers are either total idiots or are rushing through the game to get the review done on time. Both options are bad approaches for a game like this. If you're not soaking in the atmosphere, noticing the crazy little details, and if you're trying to rush Trico you probably won't get as much out of the gameplay or the story. And hey, places with perhaps more journalistic integrity then IGN, like Time Magazine (!) and the Guardian, gave it 10s and recognized it for the masterpiece that it is. You can also look at the recent user reviews on Metacritic, all immensely positive - people like us who avoided spoilers, took the time to soak it in and enjoy it are finishing it and coming out of the woodwork to praise it. Versus the people expecting it to be more of a traditional action game / rushed it for the achievements / just trolling or whatever.

But I wouldn't worry about it either way. As long as you liked it, that's all that really matters. It will get it's due from games media in a few years, trust me.

• Locked thread