Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
tacos
Flour tortilla
Corn tortilla
Crispy corn tortilla
View Results

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Imhotep posted:

I agree with beepstreet.. After beating the last guardian then going back to play shadow of the colossus and ico HD, I can't believe how many reviewers gave this game a 7... I mean the only criticism they really brought up was how Trico could be frustrating in his disobedience (which is true, but what the gently caress, every review also went on about how great the AI is despite this, but would Trico be as believable if he didn't sometime gently caress around for a few minutes at a time?), and the camera being shoddy in smaller rooms etc, which I didn't find to be a problem aside from literally two times when I was stuck under Trico and the camera was just like black, but I pretty quickly climbed around whatever part of Trico was blocking me. I just don't understand how you could play through this entire game, with it's exceptional story, uniqueness, Trico's incredible AI, the emotional depth of your bond with Trico, and the graphics (I also saw a lot of complaints about graphics, maybe not from reviews as much as youtube comments which is to be expected, which I think is insane, the game is loving beautiful, name another game with architecture that is anywhere near as impressive and beautiful, graphically as well as just aesthetically, as the towers and bridges that are spread throughout the nest).

Anyways, this game far exceeded my really loving high expectations, I didn't expect that much from a Team Ico game, it's still minimal as hell in its' gameplay, but the story and the world are way more complex than either of the previous two games, and I obviously had high expectations, as someone who's been waiting for this game since that first screenshot of the chain was released like 8 or so years ago. The only thing I wish there was more of was like, secret poo poo hidden throughout the nest, it doesn't really reward you for exploring at all, I mean the rewards for collecting the barrels are cool, but I thought the secrets in SotC and Ico, especially the HD version of Ico with unlockable co op and yorda's text getting translated, were a lot cooler. But that's literally my only "complaint" which is a small one, and maybe even wouldn't be that cool, I like the fact that you only get a single item, there's no HUD, no health.. Come to think of it, as I typed that, I realized that I didn't die a single time from getting taken through the doors by the enemies, and didn't even come close until the very last bit, the last time you even fight the enemies was the only time the doors even opened. So I guess that could've been a bit more difficult, but I did die plenty of times from falling, so it didn't really matter.

Even before I beat the game and found out how incredible the story really was, I was shocked at IGN's 7/10 review, that's loving ridiculous. I mean I'm not really a hardcore "gamer", this and "Inside" were the only games to come out this year that I actually played to completion and would gladly play again, so maybe I'm not qualified to say what makes a "good game" in 2016, but the games I do plabey I'm very passionate about. Considering that I nearly bought a PS4 just to play the Last Guardian until my good friend pre ordered it because of how much I'd hyped it up and also because I made him play SotC, I think that shows how much I wanted to play this game. I'm glad I didn't buy a PS4 right now though, can't really think of any other games I'd buy for it.. I guess I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3 and the FF7 remake, and both of those seem like they might be PS5 titles at this point. I will eventually buy a PS4 though, so I can replay this game at my own pace (my friend was kind enough to basically let me play through the entire game, he said it was almost as much fun to watch as it was to play, which I thought was just him being nice, but watching him play what he did play was also really satisfying..), and just so I own every Team Ico game, I currently own the PS2 and PS3 versions of both Ico and SotC, and I want to have this game too, even if it is the only PS4 game I end up owning/enjoying.

gently caress IGN and whoever else gave this game less than an 8.5 even, I still can't believe that it's metacritic isn't at least 90, it's a loving shame when there's lovely games that get better metacritic reviews, taking a brief look, "zen pinball 2: Bethesda Pinball" got a goddamn 80, and the last guardian got an 83. Jesus fuckkiinnggg hcakhdsurisdf

its because its japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Imhotep posted:

I would rather play any number of the classic worst games of all time, like Superman 64, ET, etc. than play any loving pinball game.

Pinball is really cool. But something like last guardian was never going to review well because it has too much stigma attached to it, i.e., "it's been in development for years so it can't be good. It's a PS3 game on PS4, it feels old" etc. I wouldn't get too hung up on it, scores are more and more meaningless with every passing year because there's so much more information available than just a game review if you google a video game and are interested in learning about it/ buying it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm still kinda ticked off at the unnecessary pinball put downs in there.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Imhotep posted:

I would rather play any number of the classic worst games of all time, like Superman 64, ET, etc. than play any loving pinball game.

Pinball is pinball, people already understand how to play it, it's simple and fun. Easy to play, hard to master. There's a broader appeal there then most games people like us would prefer, but that's why they get made bruv. There's room for both in the world.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pinball is loving good you piece of poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

Pinball is loving good you piece of poo poo
This. Pinball is winball.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

So many hours spent playing Space Cadet pinball on Windows XP. Do not disparage pinball

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

This. Pinball is winball.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

im actually hype AF for bethesda pinball.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sleng Teng posted:

So many hours spent playing Space Cadet pinball on Windows XP.

hell yeah

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I grew up with pinball machines so every time I try to play computer pinball, my mind just longs for the days of playing Harley-Davidson®/ 3rd Edition Pinball Machine by Stern Pinball

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Shoutouts to 3d ultra pinball though

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

im actually hype AF for bethesda pinball.

what's to be hyped about, isn't it already out? Go play that sucker.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

The epic Imp Zone derail

Shadow of the Colossus could make a pretty decent pinball machine.

The Colossus is the board, hit the sword icon to illuminate / open up the glowing weak point holes, have the music change like it does in the game once you have almost taken it down, hit black lizards and fruit for point multipliers, etc

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

beepstreet posted:

journalistic integrity

Time Magazine

😝

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Medieval Madness is a good rear end table

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

Black Baby Goku posted:

Medieval Madness is a good rear end table

World Cup soccer is really good too.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

beepstreet posted:

Shadow of the Colossus could make a pretty decent pinball machine.

Anything can make a pretty decent pinball machine, thats the magic of pinball

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I don't consider them a paragon of journalism or anything, but I think it's a tad more intellectual then fuckin IGN.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I agree beepstreet, and I did only just post now because I just beat it a couple of days ago and wanted to avoid spoilers. I just want them to do well financially and critically so there's more Team Ico/Fumituo Ueda games, and yeah you're right that Time and the Guardian are probably more influential to people who wouldn't know about Team Ico games, as opposed to people who check IGN who know that regardless of the score they're going to play it. I just got a little worried in the other thread in Games when multiple people said that it's getting a 7 in "a lot of places" (which people were quick to correct at least) so they're going to wait it out until it's on sale, etc. when it's like 3 lovely publications who gave it anything less than a 9 or so, a lot of publications who don't give scores that would contribute to the metacritic aggregate review like Kotaku or Vice also gave it critical acclaim.

And trust me, I know about reviewers being idiots, especially music reviewers. I'm a huge Autechre fan and there's no way that any music reviewer has the time to really take in an Autechre album and write a review on a deadline while giving it the listen it deserves, like their last release which was 5 "albums" long, and I don't think really has any repetition for even a bar over like a 20 minute song.. there's no way anyone who reviewed it the day it came out could've taken it in, I'm a huge fan and it took me months to fully listen to even notice bits that really make the tune incredible.

Reviews are dumb obviously, I just feel bad for Fumito Ueda.

And okay pinball isn't that bad I guess, but I still stand by what I said before, because I've never played superman 64 or ET.

actually nah pinball is lovely

EDit: this post was started a page ago, right after beepstreet's last post on page 2, so keep that in mind, context wise.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 22, 2016

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

you fuckin suck you dip

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
drat i struck a lot of nerves with my pinball diss, i'm somehow surprised even though it's a subforum of the gaming forum on SA.

but pinball is cool actually lets get back to talking about the last guardian.

hey wouldnt it be cool if someone made a map of the nest

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Pinball rules and im real good IRL but last time i played Zen Pinball the physics were atrocious and tables were wayyy too busy . Pinball Arcade ftw tho

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

beepstreet posted:

I don't consider them a paragon of journalism or anything, but I think it's a tad more intellectual then fuckin IGN.

Honestly you're right what it comes down to is IGn gets advertising dollars from posting controversial clickbait like a mediocre score for a good game whereas time gets paid way, way more by parties with non-video game interests to sensationalize things

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Also please use this thread as a safe space to discuss pinball. Pinball is awesome

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Imhotep posted:

Reviews are dumb obviously, I just feel bad for Fumito Ueda.

And okay pinball isn't that bad I guess, but I still stand by what I said before, because I've never played superman 64 or ET.

actually nah pinball is lovely

EDit: this post was started a page ago, right after beepstreet's last post on page 2, so keep that in mind, context wise.

Autechre rools matey, and I feel for you on Ueda, but I think he'll be okay via all the stuff I've said already about the press, especially their relevance to a Japanese developer. Famitsu gave it 10/9/9/10. But I'm gonna have to disagree on pinball being lovely! My personal favorite is Bride of Pinbot. And imps here like all kinds of games, video and otherwise. Peep the map games thread. I'm not really into virtual pinball as much, I need the real deal of flashing lights, sounds, real tactile feedback, taking a big rear end swig of beer between balls, etc.

Fungah! posted:

you fuckin suck you dip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inTRblYTevk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The PSVR version of Pinball FX is a lot of fun.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

The PSVR version of Pinball FX is a lot of fun.

yeah I play this a lot. pinball arcade as well... add me on ps4 dude

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Pinball Arcade >>> Zen pinball

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

discount cathouse posted:

Pinball Arcade >>> Zen pinball
Agreed, but it doesn't have a VR version yet. I would buy one instantly, because I love so many of the Pinball Arcade tables.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

check out zaccaria pinball on steam as well, if you like older tables

theres multiple physics modes and the sim one is like pinball arcade

i joked about making a pinball april thread a while back but was actually thinking about doing it

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
ive had Devils Crush and Alien Crush in my to-play list for like two years now

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
My fav table is medieval madness but there are a Ton of good ones. Bride of pinbot ftw

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

My fav table is medieval madness but there are a Ton of good ones. Bride of pinbot ftw

Bride of Pinbot is the loving best

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hell yeah

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolePisser1982 posted:

ive had Devils Crush and Alien Crush in my to-play list for like two years now

i had alien crush on the turbo grafix, also time cruise

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

beepstreet posted:

you only consider Time, The Atlantic, Wired, etc. to be "more intellectual" because they keep telling you they are

also lol at everybody typing a lot of words about the number they think should have been put at the end of a video game review

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

at the date posted:

you only consider Time, The Atlantic, Wired, etc. to be "more intellectual" because they keep telling you they are

Woah,..

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I mean that's how they're marketed, that's all. They've got the fartsniffing-pseudo-I'm-With-Her-and-it's-called-manga-you-loving-baka demo locked down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

at the date posted:

I mean that's how they're marketed, that's all. They've got the fartsniffing-pseudo-I'm-With-Her-and-it's-called-manga-you-loving-baka demo locked down

What the gently caress

• Locked thread