Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
tacos
Flour tortilla
Corn tortilla
Crispy corn tortilla
View Results

• Locked thread
imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I agree with beepstreet.. After beating the last guardian then going back to play shadow of the colossus and ico HD, I can't believe how many reviewers gave this game a 7... I mean the only criticism they really brought up was how Trico could be frustrating in his disobedience (which is true, but what the gently caress, every review also went on about how great the AI is despite this, but would Trico be as believable if he didn't sometime gently caress around for a few minutes at a time?), and the camera being shoddy in smaller rooms etc, which I didn't find to be a problem aside from literally two times when I was stuck under Trico and the camera was just like black, but I pretty quickly climbed around whatever part of Trico was blocking me. I just don't understand how you could play through this entire game, with it's exceptional story, uniqueness, Trico's incredible AI, the emotional depth of your bond with Trico, and the graphics (I also saw a lot of complaints about graphics, maybe not from reviews as much as youtube comments which is to be expected, which I think is insane, the game is loving beautiful, name another game with architecture that is anywhere near as impressive and beautiful, graphically as well as just aesthetically, as the towers and bridges that are spread throughout the nest).

Anyways, this game far exceeded my really loving high expectations, I didn't expect that much from a Team Ico game, it's still minimal as hell in its' gameplay, but the story and the world are way more complex than either of the previous two games, and I obviously had high expectations, as someone who's been waiting for this game since that first screenshot of the chain was released like 8 or so years ago. The only thing I wish there was more of was like, secret poo poo hidden throughout the nest, it doesn't really reward you for exploring at all, I mean the rewards for collecting the barrels are cool, but I thought the secrets in SotC and Ico, especially the HD version of Ico with unlockable co op and yorda's text getting translated, were a lot cooler. But that's literally my only "complaint" which is a small one, and maybe even wouldn't be that cool, I like the fact that you only get a single item, there's no HUD, no health.. Come to think of it, as I typed that, I realized that I didn't die a single time from getting taken through the doors by the enemies, and didn't even come close until the very last bit, the last time you even fight the enemies was the only time the doors even opened. So I guess that could've been a bit more difficult, but I did die plenty of times from falling, so it didn't really matter.

Even before I beat the game and found out how incredible the story really was, I was shocked at IGN's 7/10 review, that's loving ridiculous. I mean I'm not really a hardcore "gamer", this and "Inside" were the only games to come out this year that I actually played to completion and would gladly play again, so maybe I'm not qualified to say what makes a "good game" in 2016, but the games I do plabey I'm very passionate about. Considering that I nearly bought a PS4 just to play the Last Guardian until my good friend pre ordered it because of how much I'd hyped it up and also because I made him play SotC, I think that shows how much I wanted to play this game. I'm glad I didn't buy a PS4 right now though, can't really think of any other games I'd buy for it.. I guess I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3 and the FF7 remake, and both of those seem like they might be PS5 titles at this point. I will eventually buy a PS4 though, so I can replay this game at my own pace (my friend was kind enough to basically let me play through the entire game, he said it was almost as much fun to watch as it was to play, which I thought was just him being nice, but watching him play what he did play was also really satisfying..), and just so I own every Team Ico game, I currently own the PS2 and PS3 versions of both Ico and SotC, and I want to have this game too, even if it is the only PS4 game I end up owning/enjoying.

gently caress IGN and whoever else gave this game less than an 8.5 even, I still can't believe that it's metacritic isn't at least 90, it's a loving shame when there's lovely games that get better metacritic reviews, taking a brief look, "zen pinball 2: Bethesda Pinball" got a goddamn 80, and the last guardian got an 83. Jesus fuckkiinnggg hcakhdsurisdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I would rather play any number of the classic worst games of all time, like Superman 64, ET, etc. than play any loving pinball game.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I agree beepstreet, and I did only just post now because I just beat it a couple of days ago and wanted to avoid spoilers. I just want them to do well financially and critically so there's more Team Ico/Fumituo Ueda games, and yeah you're right that Time and the Guardian are probably more influential to people who wouldn't know about Team Ico games, as opposed to people who check IGN who know that regardless of the score they're going to play it. I just got a little worried in the other thread in Games when multiple people said that it's getting a 7 in "a lot of places" (which people were quick to correct at least) so they're going to wait it out until it's on sale, etc. when it's like 3 lovely publications who gave it anything less than a 9 or so, a lot of publications who don't give scores that would contribute to the metacritic aggregate review like Kotaku or Vice also gave it critical acclaim.

And trust me, I know about reviewers being idiots, especially music reviewers. I'm a huge Autechre fan and there's no way that any music reviewer has the time to really take in an Autechre album and write a review on a deadline while giving it the listen it deserves, like their last release which was 5 "albums" long, and I don't think really has any repetition for even a bar over like a 20 minute song.. there's no way anyone who reviewed it the day it came out could've taken it in, I'm a huge fan and it took me months to fully listen to even notice bits that really make the tune incredible.

Reviews are dumb obviously, I just feel bad for Fumito Ueda.

And okay pinball isn't that bad I guess, but I still stand by what I said before, because I've never played superman 64 or ET.

actually nah pinball is lovely

EDit: this post was started a page ago, right after beepstreet's last post on page 2, so keep that in mind, context wise.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 22, 2016

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
drat i struck a lot of nerves with my pinball diss, i'm somehow surprised even though it's a subforum of the gaming forum on SA.

but pinball is cool actually lets get back to talking about the last guardian.

hey wouldnt it be cool if someone made a map of the nest

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i'm that idiot that said pinball sucks but guess what i actually played that pinball game that came with like windows xp maybe, or maybe the windows before that, and my friend's rich aunt who loves elvis has a 50s themed bar above her garage with an elvis pinball machine that i play a lot so. I don't really hate pinball i just think reviews are weird when a pinball game can get nearly the same metacritic score as a game like the last guardian.

also idk what this subforum even is i just posted in it cause i couldn't find the main games one but how do so many people love pinball that much idk it's like, what if the ball just goes between the flippers and you have no chance of hitting the ball, like even if you're timing is perfect but you just get unlucky and the ball happens to be in just the right spot to where u have no chance of hitting it and u lose, what happens then, you're just hosed and can't do anything, and its not your fault and that's a design flaw that's worse than any design flaw the last guardian had.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 26, 2016

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I got the yoda avi wtf.

That's kinda cool tho I've never had an avi here

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
yes, they updated it so they don't appear much. Shadow of the colossus has a tutorial with button prompts too, it's just slightly less intrusive because of the nature of the game. Also SotC has hints too when you take too long to deafeat the colossus, for the people who complained about that.

But yeah, I've completed the game a few times, one of the best games I've ever played. People slowly came into the other Last Guardian thread in the main games forum after they had beat it to chime in with similar opinions. At first there were a few assholes complaining about the framerate, which I hardly noticed because it only drops for a few moments before the area loads, and I don't mind the controls cause they feel exactly like the previous two games, except better, which isn't saying much but they suit the style of the game. Like I said in the other thread, it would feel weird if the boy controlled like Uncharted or something, it would feel off, it feels immersive when the kid does clumsy poo poo, he's a little boy, and the animations that go along with it are amazing. The camera issues only annoyed me in two spots, and they only lasted a few seconds, as well as a couple of times i got stuck in trico's crotch area, but idk if people are having much worse experiences, but if they experienced what I went through then they're complaining about nothing essentially, especially considering how every other facet of the game is incredible and made me forget about wonky controls or whatever.

This is truly my favorite game of all time, it exceeded my high expectations as a team Ico fanboy waiting for this game since they posted the very first teaser screenshot of a chain and maybe a feather without any other information, maybe along with the code name project trico. Then I followed every little update over the 8 years or whatever until a couple of months before it's release when I stopped watching as I wanted to experience the game without seeing too much of it. I think it says a lot that (although at the time I was emotional due to other things, but) when I first saw Trico and especially when I first saw him act nicely towards me, I teared up a bit, and teared up at the end too.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
SotC also has so many butt clenching moments. Rewatching my friend play through TLG and just throw the boy around areas with huge chasms also makes me clench my butthole.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 24, 2017

• Locked thread