Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
tacos
Flour tortilla
Corn tortilla
Crispy corn tortilla
View Results

• Locked thread
beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Started it last night and it's beautiful so far. Framerate hasn't been too bad yet, maybe the 1.02 patch helped. The lowest it's gotten is probably around 20 or so in a scene with a ton of individually rendered grass and leaves.

I stopped after the (spoilers for about an hour in) magic cage area that Trico freaked out about. I finally got him to come down, and he chased and ate me. There was a trippy hallucination scene and I lost the mirror. I wonder if there was any other way to progress at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I had dream last night where Jerry Seinfeld was trapped in his apartment and was trying to find a way out, and he found a tiny crawlspace like in this game, but halfway through it, little crocodiles came out and started biting him to death.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Hey, just wanna say that this game is definitely a masterpiece!!!

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I beat it last night. I wrote a big rear end post about in Games but I'll keep it short and sweet here. It's a masterpiece, and I think it exceeds Ueda's other games. There has never been a game on this level emotionally. The ending was so powerful. I was stunned. Easily my favorite game of the year.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Imhotep posted:

gently caress IGN and whoever else gave this game less than an 8.5 even, I still can't believe that it's metacritic isn't at least 90, it's a loving shame when there's lovely games that get better metacritic reviews, taking a brief look, "zen pinball 2: Bethesda Pinball" got a goddamn 80, and the last guardian got an 83. Jesus fuckkiinnggg hcakhdsurisdf

I too wish it was causing more of a positive splash on the internet, but consider this - Most games reviewers are either total idiots or are rushing through the game to get the review done on time. Both options are bad approaches for a game like this. If you're not soaking in the atmosphere, noticing the crazy little details, and if you're trying to rush Trico you probably won't get as much out of the gameplay or the story. And hey, places with perhaps more journalistic integrity then IGN, like Time Magazine (!) and the Guardian, gave it 10s and recognized it for the masterpiece that it is. You can also look at the recent user reviews on Metacritic, all immensely positive - people like us who avoided spoilers, took the time to soak it in and enjoy it are finishing it and coming out of the woodwork to praise it. Versus the people expecting it to be more of a traditional action game / rushed it for the achievements / just trolling or whatever.

But I wouldn't worry about it either way. As long as you liked it, that's all that really matters. It will get it's due from games media in a few years, trust me.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Imhotep posted:

I would rather play any number of the classic worst games of all time, like Superman 64, ET, etc. than play any loving pinball game.

Pinball is pinball, people already understand how to play it, it's simple and fun. Easy to play, hard to master. There's a broader appeal there then most games people like us would prefer, but that's why they get made bruv. There's room for both in the world.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

The epic Imp Zone derail

Shadow of the Colossus could make a pretty decent pinball machine.

The Colossus is the board, hit the sword icon to illuminate / open up the glowing weak point holes, have the music change like it does in the game once you have almost taken it down, hit black lizards and fruit for point multipliers, etc

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I don't consider them a paragon of journalism or anything, but I think it's a tad more intellectual then fuckin IGN.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Imhotep posted:

Reviews are dumb obviously, I just feel bad for Fumito Ueda.

And okay pinball isn't that bad I guess, but I still stand by what I said before, because I've never played superman 64 or ET.

actually nah pinball is lovely

EDit: this post was started a page ago, right after beepstreet's last post on page 2, so keep that in mind, context wise.

Autechre rools matey, and I feel for you on Ueda, but I think he'll be okay via all the stuff I've said already about the press, especially their relevance to a Japanese developer. Famitsu gave it 10/9/9/10. But I'm gonna have to disagree on pinball being lovely! My personal favorite is Bride of Pinbot. And imps here like all kinds of games, video and otherwise. Peep the map games thread. I'm not really into virtual pinball as much, I need the real deal of flashing lights, sounds, real tactile feedback, taking a big rear end swig of beer between balls, etc.

Fungah! posted:

you fuckin suck you dip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inTRblYTevk

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

at the date posted:

you only consider Time, The Atlantic, Wired, etc. to be "more intellectual" because they keep telling you they are

also lol at everybody typing a lot of words about the number they think should have been put at the end of a video game review

Eat a loving dick you pretentious chump. I don't think considering IGN to be just about the lowest bar for reviews equates to me being a politically brainwashed normie or whatever the gently caress you're going on about.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Yes and it's my favorite game of the year.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

They start to appear less and less as the game goes on and eventually go away completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

In Training posted:

I got to the part where the Second trico knocked us off a cliff uncool bro that was a real shock

https://youtu.be/4VX1KzkJt1s
No spoilers

• Locked thread