Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Is anyone besides me still watching this piece of poo poo show? Can we discuss our inevitable disappointment when they get again find nothing and waste an hour of my week, yet again?

If you haven't seen it, it's in season 4 and let me summarize what you've missed:

Nothing.

There's supposedly buried treasure on this island. They never find anything. Sometimes they find something small, stupid, and probably planted by the producers.

Also, the narrator repeats word for word what the characters just said, if it's semi interesting.
Cast: this could be a hole leading to treasure
Narrator: "A HOLE??!!! LLEADING TO TREASURE??!!!?"

And also half of every episode is recapping the history of the island.

But I can't stop watching this disaster of a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am addicted because 60 minutes had a story on this when I was 8 (35 something years ago) and I just can't believe the number of people and the amount of money spent digging holes that fill up with water over and over again. I watch the show as a kinda reminder of the futility of life and it makes my failures seem trivial.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I love it. Every week they get excited about something and by the end of the episode their dreams are shattered. What does the one Lagina brother do that he can afford this?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"COULD IT BE? A THREAD ABOUT OAK ISLAND?"

This is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I generally don't go for these kind of shows. What makes this one stand out is that it seems a bit less fake and staged than the other reality and cryptomyth shows like America Unearthed. The Laginas are pretty skeptical of the far out stuff, and are using science and loads of their own cash to do a systematic search based on documented stuff that the previous parties have done, and they work closely with those previous parties that are still alive and on the island.

That said, if you lost the narration, recaps, and some of the dumb side quests, you'd have a 5 episode per season show that would be solid as hell. If anyone can find anything, it'll be these guys.

Sad thing though is it films like 6 months before it airs, so if they DID find anything, it'd probably make international news in the off season--we'll never get the big reveal on the show or anything.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I am a sucker for all these treasure hunting shows, even though nothing ever happens.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I caught this on Television yesterday and thought it looked interesting. It's a shame that there isnt much to the show after reading these posts.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Just know if you decide to watch the first three seasons, you shouldn't expect much.

So far they have found: a "coin" with the number 8 on it, two links of chain, some wood in the ground, and coconut fibers.

I have enjoyed watching it even though it's been nothing but disappointment. However knowing what I know now, if I was thinking of watching it from the start, I wouldn't even bother.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Alternately, play a drinking game.

Take a shot every time the narrator says "COULD IT BE??!"

You'll be wasted every episode.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Just know if you decide to watch the first three seasons, you shouldn't expect much.

So far they have found: a "coin" with the number 8 on it, two links of chain, some wood in the ground, and coconut fibers.

I have enjoyed watching it even though it's been nothing but disappointment. However knowing what I know now, if I was thinking of watching it from the start, I wouldn't even bother.

Hah. They mentioned all that you spoiled in the intro...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Talking to my mother about the show:

Her: "How long do you think that drilling will take?"

Me: "In real life? Probably a day. On the show? Three weeks."

This last episode was a ton of filler. They managed to take a whole episode to park a drill and other equipment and start it up. Filling it with a "surprise" visit by a daughter of a former treasure hunter, and a pointless trip to some buildings in Halifax to find a stone they were never going to find.

I still don't understand why they don't try harder to find and plug up the box drains. If it really is piped in water that's flooding the shafts (and not just groundwater), then they can dig all they want and it's just gonna flood again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You should go on the show and make obvious suggestions like that and then they will all act amazed and surprised at the new information. Then spend 6 episodes trying to do with a shovel and a piece of plywood.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I love the one episode this season where the guy was like "oh hey I totally forgot a few years ago I found a large square hole in the woods. Yeah I dunno never thought to mention it".

A HOLE. IN THE WOODS?!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The best is when they grind the show to a halt in order to theorize about what "treasure" could be in the hole, and each time they do it just gets more ridiculous.

At first it was just old plain pirate treasure, but the last time I checked I think they upgraded it to holding some sort of templar relic, either the holy grail or the ark of the covenant.

At this point they probably would need to find Jesus himself at the bottom of that hole in order to recoup their losses.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Could it be?!? The lord and savior himself, at the bottom of 10x?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vakal posted:

The best is when they grind the show to a halt in order to theorize about what "treasure" could be in the hole, and each time they do it just gets more ridiculous.

At first it was just old plain pirate treasure, but the last time I checked I think they upgraded it to holding some sort of templar relic, either the holy grail or the ark of the covenant.

At this point they probably would need to find Jesus himself at the bottom of that hole in order to recoup their losses.

The weird theories of what is down the hole have been around for years.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I love this show, my wife hates it. I don't care. It's amazing. I love the thread title. I speak that way sometimes and she gets so angry. It's great.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
My hubby watches it out of morbid curiosity, I just watch it to see how many times they can say "Shaft" in an hour (bonus points for "vertical shaft").
I'm such a child.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

After reading this thread i decided to watch an episode. Some lady showed them a rock that they were positive had a knights templar cross on it then they shoved a camera down a well(that also belonged to the knights templar) and the bearded guy looked confused a lot.

Then some other lady gave them a note with a code that looks like something the zodiac killer would have written with a map and the bearded guy looked hopeful but also confused again.

Great show 5/5 will watch again

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Not as good as the original In search of Oak Island narrated by Leonard Nemoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4UsPE9KaqU that I saw as a kid. But I still binge watch this show on weekends because lol at all the money they are spending. I am a sucker for these types of shows. At least they haven't gotten desperate enough to suggest it might be alien artifacts down there yet...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lowtechs posted:

Not as good as the original In search of Oak Island narrated by Leonard Nemoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4UsPE9KaqU that I saw as a kid. But I still binge watch this show on weekends because lol at all the money they are spending. I am a sucker for these types of shows. At least they haven't gotten desperate enough to suggest it might be alien artifacts down there yet...

I actually watched this when the show first started. I hadn't heard of this Oak Island, but they talk about it like it must be some pretty prominent mystery. In Search Of was great, I used to watch reruns all the time when I was a kid. Early 90's Sci Fi channel was legit.

I'm really glad they finally got around to just digging the drat thing up.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
You'd die if you drank every time they say, "Could it be?", probably safer to save the drinking for anytime they mention the Knights Templar.

My favorite part the first few years were the weekly nut jobs that showed up each week with their theory.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Vakal posted:

At one point wasn't it missing manuscripts from Shakespeare?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bankok posted:

You'd die if you drank every time they say, "Could it be?", probably safer to save the drinking for anytime they mention the Knights Templar.

My favorite part the first few years were the weekly nut jobs that showed up each week with their theory.

And Marty Lagina trying not to roll his eyes til they left the room. :allears:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I unabashedly love this show. I first learned of oak island drat near 40 years ago in a "Disney Wide World Of Knowledge" book my grandma gave me and I've been hooked ever since. Not on the level of the Lagina dorks of course, but I totally want to see this poo poo solved or put to rest in a glorious fireball of failure. My wife hates that I watch this dreck but what does she know, this is MAN BUSINESS.

Tonight's episode summary according to my cable guide is "The Lagina bros find what they think is a treasure vault in the money pit" or some such poo poo. Cannot. loving. Wait.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

pahuyuth posted:

I unabashedly love this show. I first learned of oak island drat near 40 years ago in a "Disney Wide World Of Knowledge" book my grandma gave me and I've been hooked ever since. Not on the level of the Lagina dorks of course, but I totally want to see this poo poo solved or put to rest in a glorious fireball of failure. My wife hates that I watch this dreck but what does she know, this is MAN BUSINESS.

Tonight's episode summary according to my cable guide is "The Lagina bros find what they think is a treasure vault in the money pit" or some such poo poo. Cannot. loving. Wait.

Ultimate cocktease finish to tonights episode, I'm with Marty, just keep digging already.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bankok posted:

I liked the guy that was like ITS TWO ISLANDS THAT GOT JOINED INTO ONE and I'm sitting there like "ok I can kinda see that"

Then he's like BY THE AZTECS!!!!!!!!

Now I kinda hope it is just because how the gently caress do you explain that one science?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

My wife loves this show and I end up watching an episode or two to see if they finally found something they haven't

In tonights? episode they were digging in this 2'x2'x2' hole, probing around with a rebar and came to the conclusion that it had a solid rock bottom and was just a hole.

Lol these loving chuckleheads are dogging around in an old latrine, I guarantee.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

TheDon01 posted:

My wife loves this show and I end up watching an episode or two to see if they finally found something they haven't

In tonights? episode they were digging in this 2'x2'x2' hole, probing around with a rebar and came to the conclusion that it had a solid rock bottom and was just a hole.

Lol these loving chuckleheads are dogging around in an old latrine, I guarantee.

Heh yeah, but even though it's just a freaking hole, they start thinking, "hmm maybe a treasure was there and already taken...." or "it's still interesting, I don't think we can mark this off the list"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Tonight's discovery was wood wood and more wood. Curse of Oak Island. "Lots of wood! On Oak Island?!!??" The wood was also buried. I should have spoiler-ed this.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Tonight's discovery was wood wood and more wood. Curse of Oak Island. "Lots of wood! On Oak Island?!!??" The wood was also buried. I should have spoiler-ed this.

Did they speculate on if it was wood from jesus cross?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Maybe they'll find a stone at the bottom that says the real treasure is friendship and old guys wasting their lives

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I loved reading about Oak Island as a kid and always thought it'd make a good novel (I think there's been a couple) or a comic or something but this show is so bad it's sapped any enthusiasm I had for it

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

MARI VINEYARDS

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I can't figure out if Dan Blankenship actually still cares or they just keep dragging him into it. It's kind of funny because they could do the show without him but then again half the reason I watch is to see how he reacts to things vs how the rest of them think he will react. Generally they think he is going to go crazy and/or have a heart attack but usually he is just like "oh ok."

When they told him his old partner/rival died they were all worried about whether he was going to be upset or possibly even happy and it seemed like he actually had no idea who they were talking about.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Although this episode I was pretty sure he was going to murder that Rolling Stone guy. Do NOT discuss pirates around Dan Blankenship.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"A BULLET? And SILVER? COULD IT BE that people were hunting FOOD on Oak Island? Or WEREWOLVES?!"

I kind of see Marty's point on saying gently caress it and just digging it all up as fast as possible, since a) how the gently caress can you carefully excavate something 140 feet down, and b) it'll probably flood anyway.

NEXT WEEK ON OAK ISLAND: Yep, it flooded

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Could it be??! The bullet that KILLED LINCOLN??! On OAK ISLAND?!!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

A NEW EPISODE??! TONIGHT??! COULD IT BE?!!

So what does everyone think they're gonna find tonight in the money pit?

My guess is nothing. They will find nothing this whole episode.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
is this like lovely canadian lost or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

No? It's a treasure hunting reality show

• Locked thread