Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

This show has officially become background noise to have on when I'm doing other things. No way I can dedicate time specifically to this show anymore.

This whole episode was a waste of time with nothing in it at all.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Oak Island money pit:

Tiny Lowtax posted:

a waste of time with nothing in it at all.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
Usually, we record shows on the PVR so we can watch the show and skip the commercials.

This show, we've started watching the commercials and skipping the show! :-D

Actually, I just set the playback on 2x speed and only go to normal speed if they actually DO something. This last episode I think they did 3 things, total less than 5 min. At least they have the decency now to use their sepia tone filter on all the "old timey" crap (a.k.a. previous season recaps) so you can spin through anything sepia colored. That was very thoughtful of them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
48 minutes of filler footage?!!! About Oak Island!!??!!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You know, they sure do a great job of finding stuff those guys did back in the 60s.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sash! posted:

You know, they sure do a great job of finding stuff those guys did back in the 60s.

Old wood? Yeah some other sucker dug up this same area last century thinking they were going to solve the mystery and get rich. Too bad all you found was their failed attempts.

Can't wait until they get frustrated and bring in one of those massive mining machines that just chews up the island like a hungry beast. Reduce the whole place to rubble already, I'm getting bored.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
IMO they should just throw Dave Blankenship down the hole to fulfill the curse in hopes of finally finding the treasure. That dude is the worst... he never adds anything of value and always seems impatient.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I can't believe I just watched another hour and all they found was muddy wood, again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

pahuyuth posted:

IMO they should just throw Dave Blankenship down the hole to fulfill the curse in hopes of finally finding the treasure. That dude is the worst... he never adds anything of value and always seems impatient.

Well the guy is going to be dead any day and his life's work is one gold chain link. I have no idea how he can afford to have a house.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
You're thinking of Dan, I'm talking about Dave who is Dan's son. Unless I have the names backwards. I like Pop Blankenship... he seems to be pretty lucid and on point considering his age but you're right about his life's work.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

WIle-e-coyote mining at it's very best.

Try one thing ONCE, then give up and one to the next ACME product/scheme.

I also love how they do something for maybe 45 minutes and then quit for the day. "Yep, it's gonna be night in maybe 16 hours, so better pack it in for the day".

Why not put a catch basket under the cyclone outflow instead of shovelling mud for most of a day after a few minutes sucking?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

sunnyboy posted:

WIle-e-coyote mining at it's very best.

Try one thing ONCE, then give up and one to the next ACME product/scheme.

I also love how they do something for maybe 45 minutes and then quit for the day. "Yep, it's gonna be night in maybe 16 hours, so better pack it in for the day".

Why not put a catch basket under the cyclone outflow instead of shovelling mud for most of a day after a few minutes seasons sucking?

had to fix this one for ya

anyone else notice how this entire season, some of the principals have been wearing DAM IT DAMS hats, and lo and behold this episode we get to see those cofferdams in action?!

I'm just waiting for the MARI VINEYARDS wine to make an appearance

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 2, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tomapot posted:

Old wood? Yeah some other sucker dug up this same area last century thinking they were going to solve the mystery and get rich. Too bad all you found was their failed attempts.

Can't wait until they get frustrated and bring in one of those massive mining machines that just chews up the island like a hungry beast. Reduce the whole place to rubble already, I'm getting bored.

They need a straight-up billionaire that's more concerned with PROVING HIS THEORY RIGHT than the value of the treasure, who then blows ten figures to encircle Oak Island with a concrete wall 30 feet thick and down 250 feet, down into the bedrock, and cleans out the place like the Kimberley Mine.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Sash! posted:

They need a straight-up billionaire that's more concerned with PROVING HIS THEORY RIGHT than the value of the treasure, who then blows ten figures to encircle Oak Island with a concrete wall 30 feet thick and down 250 feet, down into the bedrock, and cleans out the place like the Kimberley Mine.

D-Donald Trump?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

This has literally already been done just not that deep. But a small crew of Templars was able to dig a hole deeper and booby trap it with tunnels that don't collapse after 700 years so they could hide the Royal Jewels of King Arthur's pet donkey.

More wood we found more wood so everything is true! TV show literally has a photo of the spot they were digging in from the 60's of people building a wooden lined trench in the spot they are digging. But this is Templar Pirate wood!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

History is doing a historical drama series like Vikings about the Knights Templar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightfall_(TV_series)

Can't wait to see how the Oak Island storyline plays out.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Every treasure ever is buried on Oak Island

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
The show is enjoyable for the weirdness, but I agree with you guys that the show is way too repetitive. I swear History Channel must pay the Lagina brothers for each reference they allow to the Knights Templar. Those maps the woman from upstate New York claim depicted Oak Island sure don't look authentic at all. The paper held up remarkably well. Like a real researcher would disprove them in a couple days work. They dovetail way too nicely with Oak Island. Deliberate plant by the History Channel? Really clever and or manipulating presentation of the maps? Anyway, I suppose the show could be worse.

Next time on the Curse of Oak Island: Rick visits a fired history professor from East Southern Northwestern Online University who claims that the Knights Templars built the supposed booby traps using wood from the Tree of Knowledge from the Garden of Eden. And Charles Barkhouse stumbles upon a hidden manuscript suggesting DB Cooper really hid his bag of money in the swamp to fulfill a test of will devised by Sir Francis Bacon.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

had to fix this one for ya

anyone else notice how this entire season, some of the principals have been wearing DAM IT DAMS hats, and lo and behold this episode we get to see those cofferdams in action?!

I'm just waiting for the MARI VINEYARDS wine to make an appearance

Yea, and then the stupid thing "mysteriously" develops a one foot hole just when they're going to use it?

I swear you could not have a lamer, more incompetent bunch of extras from a keystone kops movie doing the work here.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

sunnyboy posted:

Yea, and then the stupid thing "mysteriously" develops a one foot hole just when they're going to use it?

I swear you could not have a lamer, more incompetent bunch of extras from a keystone kops movie doing the work here.

Nah the no name company had a hole develop in their dam, then DAM IT DAMS came in with theirs to be heroes.

That totally wasn't planned at all and all of the dam it dams hats all season were just a coincidence

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Pretty sure they said "shaft" about 35 times last week. Here's hoping they can beat it this week!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I haven't seen the episode and I don't mean to ruin it but tonight we find money pit wood! That's right, more wood buried in mud that proves treasure is buried below! When is the seventh guy going to die didn't the survey guy already die? This curse is a scam.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

I haven't seen the episode and I don't mean to ruin it but tonight we find money pit wood! That's right, more wood buried in mud that proves treasure is buried below! When is the seventh guy going to die didn't the survey guy already die? This curse is a scam.

The 7th already died:
https://historyheretic.org/2015/10/29/oak-island-victim-matt-chisholm/

And the real 'treasure' is ad revenue from the show.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Boinks posted:

And the real 'treasure' is ad revenue from the show.

The final episode they'll find a giant rock inscribed with "Drink Your Ovaltine." at the bottom of 10x

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

The foot guy upped the crazy game exponentially tonight.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

mincedgarlic posted:

The foot guy upped the crazy game exponentially tonight.

Yeah I thought it was crazy when they convinced themselves they had just one piece of seven of a coded message in French and then he showed up. The tangent on cool things about the number seven was also good... like somehow there's a Jewish connection now too.

Not only did they find wood this week, but rocks too. I'm excited.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I have half watched this show this season. Has anyone on the show asked how pirates or whomever dug through all this bedrock they are drilling through?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

donkey salami posted:

I have half watched this show this season. Has anyone on the show asked how pirates or whomever dug through all this bedrock they are drilling through?

Yah I've questioned that.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone notice that the latest crazy guy they brought on that owned the other island was claiming that more gold then had ever been mined was buried there in the 1800s?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I figured it out guys. The 7th person who has to die is us, the audience.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Bumping up for new episode and more buried wood! Also there are some rocks??!! on Oak Island???!!!!!!???

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I don't think I can do it anymore. Pretty sure this is my last season. Wouldn't be surprised if it is the shows last season too.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

But didn't the preview show them finding a coin in one of these holes? Or could it be that I was half asleep?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fingers McGee posted:

But didn't the preview show them finding a coin in one of these holes? Or could it be that I was half asleep?

I went to bed and missed the last 15 minutes. I am a shameful watcher now.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Fingers McGee posted:

The teasers for next weeks two hour season finale looked legit as far as Oak Island goes. (Part of a chest, a coin, WOOD!) The producers have obviously teed up enough stuff to build towards another season. If they really have found enough circumstantial evidence to keep going, I would assume they just dig that fucker out somehow at this point.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Or it could be time for another amazing discovery. Better stop for safety reasons and go somewhere else.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The Bros were on Colbert's show Monday night, and did absolutely nothing to sell the show. Rick was rambling and neither of them really got around to telling a decent TLDR

I did half expect them to find a block of wood and coconut fiber in the audience though :classiclol:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

donkey salami posted:

Or it could be time for another amazing discovery. Better stop for safety reasons and go somewhere else.

Well it's getting dark, let's call it a night.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The treasure is clearly a brother's love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm watching them smell wood right now

• Locked thread