Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Last week's episode set up another joke that Oak Island is really the island from :lost: . Small neighboring island/Templar Fort Knox... oh brother

The "haggeling" and "arguing" over the budget and a fourth hole seemed more reality TV fake drama than usual for this show. Next season Rick convinces everyone to go for a full scale excavation of the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Well it's getting dark, let's call it a night.

Haha I've forgotten about the it's dark excuse. Isn't that also how the original oak island story goes. Keep digging. It's dark. Now we will never know.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Get hype last episode tonight. More buried wood!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Elephanthead posted:

Get hype last episode tonight. More buried wood!

And metal. At least the expert they brought in this episode was not some Templar, alien, Shakespeare bullshit artist.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I appreciate the discussion explaining why it wasn't a railroad spike

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

I appreciate the discussion explaining why it wasn't a railroad spike

But it still is a railroad spike. The metal they found was searcher tunnel trash also. I don't understand why they didn't just sink 100 6 inch well holes all over the place. poo poo just buy your own drilling rig and put that Blankenship moron to work drilling holes all winter. The rich bother must make a poo poo load of money. I have to think the older brother gave up something to send the younger one to school to become an engineer or whatever and stayed home to take care of the parents.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Could it be? TWO wasted hours of my life??!

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I tried to watch this one. When it got into this huge derail about some sister that had died that was in one clip from a past season I didn't have it in me to keep going. Did they run out of conspiracy theory people?

Did anything happen after that?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Jack Begley wears his green/black under armor shirt in almost every episode

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Could it be? TWO wasted hours of my life??!

You can waste another hour next week when they do the recap show at.......Mari Vineyards.

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Yeah this show is really starting to piss me off

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

But it still is a railroad spike.

It probably isn't. It's a bit longer and railroad spikes aren't wrought iron.

It is a maritime environment, so it's not improbable that a reused ship nail would turn up somewhere. Plus it's unlikely that a railroad spike would end up in such a place.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Sash! posted:

It probably isn't. It's a bit longer and railroad spikes aren't wrought iron.

It is a maritime environment, so it's not improbable that a reused ship nail would turn up somewhere. Plus it's unlikely that a railroad spike would end up in such a place.

I'm beginning to seriously think that this stuff is being salted. It's always just "one". Always. Well, except for the wood timbers, but they no longer really count.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

At this point, they're still above previous dig depths, so anything they find could be from that. When they get to a lower depth than ever recorded and find wood and metal scraps, then maybe they're into something real.

The carbon dating on the wood they found that put it to the 1600s was a bit convincing, but I'm not sure how legit it was. Their ~~expert~~ Dr. Donna or whoever was awfully sure that everything was old. "This spike is from 1784." "That wood is from the 1600s." "So you're saying this nail is from a Spanish Galleon?" "Absolutely." :smug:

She was telling them everything they wanted to hear. Makes me wonder what her credentials are. I noticed they said she's a "former" professor at some school, but they left out what she's doing now...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Dr. Lori's Bio if you want to know.

https://www.drloriv.com/About-Dr-Lori/Who-is-Dr-Lori

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm watching an episode of this right now. Its an old one though from 2015. The Vagina bros have teamed up with their arch rival (some old dude) and have brought a drill rig in to drill in to the slate. But before they did that, they had to clear away some branches with the excavator and one of the guys almost got smoked by a falling branch.

Next they set up the drill and started hammering a hole in the slate. NOBODY NOT EVEN THE loving DRILLERS WERE WEARING A loving HARDHAT, I'D PROBABLY GET FIRED IF I DID THAT!!!!! (I'm also a driller...)

After they got to whatever the gently caress depth, their relatively modern drill rig got stopped by a piece of "metal" in the ground. Metal thats been there since the knights templar buried the lost ark of the covenant up in that bitch.. They pulled out and dug up the hole. Despite the fact that they left the drill rods, (or maybe they were just steel pipes)in the ground to mark the exact spot, they couldn't find this piece of metal. They did however, find a piece of WOOD. POINTED WOOD! Pointed wood? with a point cut on it? Like it was MEANT to be driven in to the ground?

I think this means that they're going to find the treasure soon. Maybe he next episode..

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 25, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

FWIW they wear hard hats and reflective vests in the later episodes.

Spoiler alert: that old guy dies

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

Dr. Lori is the star antiques appraiser on the History channel's The Curse of Oak Island, Discovery channel's Auction Kings and appears on FOX Business Network's Strange Inheritance.

Dr. Lori has shared her expertise with NBC TV's TODAY show, Anderson LIVE, Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, NBC TV's The Tonight Show, Inside Edition, and Lifetime Television. Dr. Lori is an award-winning TV personality and TV talk show host with the Ph.D. in art history.

Ph.D. antiques appraiser, Dr. Lori Verderame is an internationally syndicated columnist with columns carried in 400+ publications reaching more than 9.5 million readers monthly in print and millions more online including her blog for Lifetime Television. She has been an editor of several lifestyle magazines and she is an author with 30 books to her credit. Dr. Lori is the director of https://www.drloriv.com.

Yeah, not too impressed by TeeVee Doctor...

Tiny Lowtax posted:

FWIW they wear hard hats and reflective vests in the later episodes.

Yeah, Marty was kicking the hell out of his hat when they gave up on the 3rd hole. :laugh:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I binge watched most of this season since History was airing it leading up to the finale and I think the real treasures of Oak Island were the friendships they made along the way.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
We have an old railroad spike that looks just like that spike. But who knows, maybe there is some detail that sets it apart from railroad spikes.

They can make a case that seafaring ships were involved with the island at some point in its past, perhaps in the age of pirates and treasures, the island itself has some strange features (the channels leading in from the cove), but all the other evidence of buried treasure like the tablet and inscription of treasure below, the logs every 10' and all that jazz is hearsay at this point.

What's the story behind the gold links?

According to those ladies the cross came from 3 treasure chests that were dug up. poo poo man, that sounds to me like the treasure has already been found.

I also have to think that if it's the 1700s and you are burying treasure you are not going to put it so far under the ground that it'd take months if not years to recover it with the technology of the day, while creating a huge fuss that anyone around could see. You'd be discrete.

I agree too that doctor was full of BS or they did some clever editing. The piece of metal with holes in it she judged to be part of a treasure chest then there was a blurb or from a ship tacked on the end. I'm no expert but that piece of metal could have been used to join two pieces of wood together for part of a strong structure like parts old drilling equipment.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
It would appear that "Dr." Lori is famous for being "Dr." Lori.

Pretty typical of the "experts" they feature on this show. Of course, with the editing they do, even a real scientist would sound like an idiot by the time it got on the air.

I still love how everything they find is a single item (except the timbers). One spike. One button. One coin.

One spike does not make a sailing ship. If the thing came to rest where they pretend it might be, there'd be a large debris field.

I did like the suggestion posted previously for them to buy a 6in drill rig and get one or two of the more useless team members using it all winter to core in a grid pattern for the entire "money pit" site. Heck, the comedy value from some of those clowns trying to operate a drilling rig could be used as feed for a whole nother reality show.

"Drilling Oak Island - the keystone kops kronickles". ;-)

(IMO everyone except Craig Tester and the younger brother are total idiots on this show).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

sunnyboy posted:

It would appear that "Dr." Lori is famous for being "Dr." Lori.

Pretty typical of the "experts" they feature on this show. Of course, with the editing they do, even a real scientist would sound like an idiot by the time it got on the air.

I still love how everything they find is a single item (except the timbers). One spike. One button. One coin.

One spike does not make a sailing ship. If the thing came to rest where they pretend it might be, there'd be a large debris field.

I did like the suggestion posted previously for them to buy a 6in drill rig and get one or two of the more useless team members using it all winter to core in a grid pattern for the entire "money pit" site. Heck, the comedy value from some of those clowns trying to operate a drilling rig could be used as feed for a whole nother reality show.

"Drilling Oak Island - the keystone kops kronickles". ;-)

(IMO everyone except Craig Tester and the younger brother are total idiots on this show).

Hell yeah, give me a shack, a ten gallon steel bucket and a shitload of skids to burn, I'll run that rig all winter.

I don't think I've seen this mentioned in the thread, and if it was ever mentioned on the show, they probably edited it out as being too reasonable of a theory.
If there are supposed to be secret treasure shafts sink holes on the island, has anyone ever thought that the wood could (mostly) be trees that have fallen in to them?
I also remember them talking about finding absolutely nothing worth anything significant artifacts in the swamp. Could there just have been a boat (from the knights of the templar) that got blown the gently caress ashore in some huge fuckoff storm 300 years ago?

Am I too reasonable to be on the show?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Yeah but the wood smells so explain that

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Yeah but the wood smells so explain that

Depends what it smells like........

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Sten Freak posted:

According to those ladies the cross came from 3 treasure chests that were dug up. poo poo man, that sounds to me like the treasure has already been found.

I also have to think that if it's the 1700s and you are burying treasure you are not going to put it so far under the ground that it'd take months if not years to recover it with the technology of the day, while creating a huge fuss that anyone around could see. You'd be discrete.

I also wonder if most if not all treasure was already found. You have the sister's story with the remains of a gold cross plus the freed slave Samuel Ball seemingly pulling money from nowhere (granted our source of information about Ball is this show so take it with a grain of salt). How many more stories of treasure can we reasonably expect to believe. The stories of "buried metal plates" also sound dodgy at best. The show had the throwaway line about a previous treasure hunting company losing a furnace to an explosion in the money pit: maybe that's what the buried metal was?

Next year the team will drain the swamp again and hunt for the remains of a ship. Whether that's a good use of money, I don't know.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

LaptopGun posted:

I also wonder if most if not all treasure was already found. You have the sister's story with the remains of a gold cross plus the freed slave Samuel Ball seemingly pulling money from nowhere (granted our source of information about Ball is this show so take it with a grain of salt). How many more stories of treasure can we reasonably expect to believe. The stories of "buried metal plates" also sound dodgy at best. The show had the throwaway line about a previous treasure hunting company losing a furnace to an explosion in the money pit: maybe that's what the buried metal was?

Next year the team will drain the swamp again and hunt for the remains of a ship. Whether that's a good use of money, I don't know.

I wonder if there are any goons in that area, that would be willing to troll the show by protesting the draining of the swamp?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I got introduced to this when some family dropped by and dominated the TV.

They found an iron nail. This iron nail was used commonly in ship construction. I also imagine that it was commonly used in every other kind of construction along the new england coast for centuries.

But no, it's from a spanish galleon obviously. This specific spanish galleon that was carrying cursed aztec gold and disappeared, probably due to roving bands of pirates.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

vermin posted:

I got introduced to this when some family dropped by and dominated the TV.

They found an iron nail. This iron nail was used commonly in ship construction. I also imagine that it was commonly used in every other kind of construction along the new england coast for centuries.

But no, it's from a spanish galleon obviously. This specific spanish galleon that was carrying cursed aztec gold and disappeared, probably due to roving bands of pirates.

You had me until you didn't include Knights Templar and the Ark of the Covenant and neglected to mention 20 lost plays of Shakespeare.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The greatest villain in TV history is the narrator of this show.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

I like how the show largely ignored the crazy guy from the neighboring island with the supposed underground gold bar depository. The show has depicted some real far fetched theories, but it sounded like the producers even regretted that one. Of course next season Rick will visit that island for shits and giggles to spend the day with a metal detector.

slickmcburney posted:

I wonder if there are any goons in that area, that would be willing to troll the show by protesting the draining of the swamp?

Sounds like an amazing idea. The producers would try to claim the protestors were agents of the Knights Templar. I can just imagine the Canadian government laughing at the whole thing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

LaptopGun posted:

I like how the show largely ignored the crazy guy from the neighboring island with the supposed underground gold bar depository. The show has depicted some real far fetched theories, but it sounded like the producers even regretted that one. Of course next season Rick will visit that island for shits and giggles to spend the day with a metal detector.

Sounds like an amazing idea. The producers would try to claim the protestors were agents of the Knights Templar. I can just imagine the Canadian government laughing at the whole thing.

Bonus points, they could dress up like knights. Or at least get fake tattoos of whatever symbol the Knights of Templar would wear. They could act like the guys from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, that were trying to protect the grail.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

slickmcburney posted:

I like where this idea is heading. I'd be willing to pay a couple hundred buck in airfare to fauxtest the show. My sign would be "When we said 'Drain the swamp' we did not mean this swamp."

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is there a decent hotel. I am only willing to sacrifice so much for the Knights of TV IV. A Four Seasons is acceptable. We will need to rent Fiats.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Three seconds of Googling doesn't show much in the way of accommodations in the immediate area. I think it will be Goonmeets in Halifax.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just saw ths was trending on Fakebook:

Clearly these guys are looking at decoys, and should start concentrating on rabbit holes.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/08/rabbit-hole-leads-to-700-year-old-secret-knights-templar-cave-network-6495311/?ito=facebook

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Just saw ths was trending on Fakebook:

Clearly these guys are looking at decoys, and should start concentrating on rabbit holes.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/08/rabbit-hole-leads-to-700-year-old-secret-knights-templar-cave-network-6495311/?ito=facebook

Holy cow. That's amazing.

Almost impressed by the 700 year old LED lighting technology used.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
COULD IT BE?! SEASON 5?!?

Marie Antoinette's jewels?!??

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Thanks for the update. It sounds more optimistic than the last story I read. The Laginas are hesitant to sign on because filming keeps them away from their families for so long. Sounds like the paycheck and cash infusion for the treasure hunt is too irresistible.

This story was what I referred to about Latina brothers doubts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opptrends.com/2017/02/curse-oak-island-season-5-renewed-canceled/amp/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

LaptopGun posted:

Thanks for the update. It sounds more optimistic than the last story I read. The Laginas are hesitant to sign on because filming keeps them away from their families for so long. Sounds like the paycheck and cash infusion for the treasure hunt is too irresistible.

This story was what I referred to about Latina brothers doubts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opptrends.com/2017/02/curse-oak-island-season-5-renewed-canceled/amp/

Jesus Christ. Is that website translated or something? If its not then whatever editor let that slip by should be fired. the grammar is atrocious.

*checks post for grammar*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

No that's apparently what passes for internet journalism in this day and age.

Your post made me realize my phone's autocorrect changes Lagina to Latina and now I can't stop laughing .

• Locked thread