Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I'm tired of working hard for minimum wage, i want to join the gbs cyber elite (or 'leet") core of middle aged alcoholics with too much money . is it easier to write code or be the fixer upper IT guy. Please give me the tips, tricks and cheatcodes I desire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
lmao it's EZ you stupid bitch

Just never get that degree your parents wanted you to have

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
be gay in boystown

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

buckets of buckets posted:

I'm tired of working hard for minimum wage, i want to join the gbs cyber elite (or 'leet") core of middle aged alcoholics with too much money . is it easier to write code or be the fixer upper IT guy. Please give me the tips, tricks and cheatcodes I desire

You start by knowing how to IT. This means how to restart a computer, install drivers for a printer, and google something like "Outlook error 0x00023813" and figure out how to click some links and get a solution.

Then you get the job.

It's not rocket science.

Oh, you have to get over your crippling social anxiety and actually apply for a job and do an interview.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Computers do seem easy with the plugging and unplugging depending on the situation. Never used one myself, but I intend to one day.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't work very hard or get much done but I'm paid for all the time I'm at work. I don't show up drunk too often but I'm always high at work.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

# 1. Pay to get certified, which means you have a piece of paper showing you can do the equivalent of tying your shoes on a computer

# 2. Apply somewhere for some 39 hour week 'part time' helpdesk job at a call center

# 3. You probably have a bit of pride from actually working for your job, maybe you have previous working relationships and experiences that make you feel somewhat valuable as a human being, go ahead and forget about all of those

# 4. Every boss you have probably imagines themselves as the lord of a manor for which you are their serf, and if you act otherwise the lower level ones will make your life hell, so do what they say. If he's gay suck his weiner if he asks. Even if you don't consider yourself gay. Likewise for the other sex, dumpy lady goons.

# 5. Stop taking care of yourself, and maintain your 'working man' diet that's entirely inappropriate for sitting at a comptuer from 9-5.

# 6. Bathe every other day instead of every day, and only wash your hear every 3-4 days. This will give you a nice greasy look that nobody likes.

# 7. make sure to huff and puff and give a very strong passive aggressive attitude in the company of anyone who smiles at you while doing your work. Make sure you look miserable.

# 8. If you catch yourself doing too good of a job or working faster than what's absolutely necessary, STOP. Take in the sights around you, slow down buddy, people may have work to do but it's their dumbass fault you had to come over probably, so inflict and express your pain by expressing your indignity in the most passive agressive way possible, working really slow, and deliberately 'missing' small items that will create more work for you later.

If you do this properly, youll keep your job while still being a gross and terrible worker that nobody will want to touch or promote.

Oh I almost forgot...

# 9. Have Fun! :)

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

# 1. Pay to get certified, which means you have a piece of paper showing you can do the equivalent of tying your shoes on a computer

# 2. Apply somewhere for some 39 hour week 'part time' helpdesk job at a call center

# 3. You probably have a bit of pride from actually working for your job, maybe you have previous working relationships and experiences that make you feel somewhat valuable as a human being, go ahead and forget about all of those

# 4. Every boss you have probably imagines themselves as the lord of a manor for which you are their serf, and if you act otherwise the lower level ones will make your life hell, so do what they say. If he's gay suck his weiner if he asks. Even if you don't consider yourself gay. Likewise for the other sex, dumpy lady goons.

# 5. Stop taking care of yourself, and maintain your 'working man' diet that's entirely inappropriate for sitting at a comptuer from 9-5.

# 6. Bathe every other day instead of every day, and only wash your hear every 3-4 days. This will give you a nice greasy look that nobody likes.

# 7. make sure to huff and puff and give a very strong passive aggressive attitude in the company of anyone who smiles at you while doing your work. Make sure you look miserable.

# 8. If you catch yourself doing too good of a job or working faster than what's absolutely necessary, STOP. Take in the sights around you, slow down buddy, people may have work to do but it's their dumbass fault you had to come over probably, so inflict and express your pain by expressing your indignity in the most passive agressive way possible, working really slow, and deliberately 'missing' small items that will create more work for you later.

If you do this properly, youll keep your job while still being a gross and terrible worker that nobody will want to touch or promote.

Oh I almost forgot...

A lot of this is interchangeable with working nights, except you really do become invisible to the superiors unless they know you and they are your buddy. Otherwise, they don't even know you exist until something goes wrong, or you spend one minute too many taking too long on dumb busy work that you are monitored on.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

basic hitler posted:

Oh I almost forgot...

this is good stuff. I like the sound of all of it apart from paying for a certificate. Is there a cheaper way to fake it?

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

this is good stuff. I like the sound of all of it apart from paying for a certificate. Is there a cheaper way to fake it?

yeah a printer, but first you have to unjam it for peggy in finance who keeps trying to cram legal paper in the 8.5x11 tray and gets really pissy when you tell her to stop, welcome to it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

you irl posted:

yeah a printer, but first you have to unjam it for peggy in finance
Yeah you do!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Make a pdf file from the Academy for Computer Sciences or similar.

Other tech guys will know it's fake but only the squarest of the square will deny a man his livelihood if your being a dumbfuck with 0 idea means they have more job security.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Make a pdf file from the Academy for Computer Sciences or similar.

Other tech guys will know it's fake but only the squarest of the square will deny a man his livelihood if your being a dumbfuck with 0 idea means they have more job security.

I would trust one of my old factory co-workers to laugh and keep his mouth shut at a faked credential, but my experience with IT nerds is that they are exactly the type of square to snitch.

The funny thing is, usually a certification in a factory means you can do something fairly dangerous, with competency and safety. in IT it literally just means you paid for someone to acknowledge that you can FOR SURE do a thing 99% of people under the age of 40 knows how to do, or could be trained to.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

you irl posted:

yeah a printer, but first you have to unjam it for peggy in finance who keeps trying to cram legal paper in the 8.5x11 tray and gets really pissy when you tell her to stop, welcome to it

You're not really there yet until you've reached the point of assuming everyone is a dumb rear end in a top hat even when their problem us legitimate and not their fault....but you still think that it is.

And agreed that IT guys are even more likely to be snippy dorks that go mad with power the second they get a tiny scrap of it.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

so you basically have to undertake zero training to do this job. I am/was quite proficient with windows 95 and XP so I guess I'm already prepared? sweet

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

so you basically have to undertake zero training to do this job. I am/was quite proficient with windows 95 and XP so I guess I'm already prepared? sweet

can you walk up, grunt "what's the problem?", and then frown at a computer screen while doing things that appear useful at a cursory glance before holding down the power button and doing a hard reboot?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I know about IT is that they're the guys I get mad at when our file server gets slow. They're the worst!

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

watch a few episodes of The IT Crowd and you've got 90% of the job figured out (the other 10% is filling out your timesheet)

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

how good are you at <three-to-four letter language no one uses>?

we need someone with 15 years of vSphere experience, whatever the gently caress that is

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

hey you, youre the developer, right?

why is the network so loving slow?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

hth posted:

how good are you at <three-to-four letter language no one uses>?

we need someone with 15 years of vSphere experience, whatever the gently caress that is

I hope vsphere is something that only came out 10 years ago

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

we have an incentive compensation system for sales, but not for IT

also we'll need you to build that system

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

I hope vsphere is something that only came out 10 years ago

when can u start

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

how much coffee in a given day can you convert to piss?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

OP, it says in your resume you are proficient with active directories...that's good.

how are you with dormant directories?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

here, OP, memorize all these port numbers

and then sometime later figure out what port numbers are

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hth posted:

hey you, youre the developer, right?

why is the network so loving slow?
imagine a cardboard box that you're trying to take information out of...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't work in IT you fuckman

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Being a computer janitor is not just a career, it's a calling. Ask yourself, have you ever installed windows and Linux for fun? Do you build your own computer and still think Mac users are gay? Do you think you can be a condescending prick to everyone in your life? Well, you might be ready to join the elite crew of computer janitors, the blue collar workers of the future! If you haven't done so already, get started on the following:

🖥 Grow a goatee. Or if you're a woman at least a mustache.

📀 Pick a side on many contentious issues and defend it vigorously. Best operating system, best phone brand, Star Wars vs Star Trek, video game platform, favorite anime, etc.

💻 Post over with the bros in yospos. We are always friendly to new people.

🖨 I dunno maybe learn to click some things and looking up things on google.

Welcome to your new career! A lifetime of staring at progress bars and crawling under desks trying to blindly plug cables into the back of a computer awaits you.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

loin dat lingo

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
the vending machine is out of Twix bars

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Whats your favorite RAID level?

Mine is 5, but RAID DP is pretty cool too.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Go to school to become a computer scientists or software engineer. Get job as a Jr. QA. Make the lives of developers difficult by existing. Then write automation and focus on devops.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

Go to school to become a computer scientists or software engineer. Get job as a Jr. QA. Make the lives of developers difficult by existing. Then write automation and focus on devops.

don't tell anybody though so you can avoid the mass lynchings of anyone involved in automation by the proles in the coming years

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

angerbeet posted:

the vending machine is out of Twix bars

It would be rude to eat Twix on Pearl Harbor day anyways

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It would be rude to eat Twix on Pearl Harbor day anyways

why not?

was the mars corporation a wartime zaibatsu or something

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i work at the dick sucking factory

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
My buddy is in year 5 of IT having started out with literally 0 knowledge or experience. He just faked it in his interview. The thing is however stupid you think you are with computers, everyone else is even worse. There are somehow still people who are totally baffled about even the most basic functions of the magic glow box with the Google inside. So just lie and successfully turn on a computer and you get the job then fake it until you make it.

bag em and tag em fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 7, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

hth posted:

why not?

was the mars corporation a wartime zaibatsu or something

You should try eating an honest and patriotic snack like a Babe Ruth or a Cheeseburger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
if you're really working minimum wage and want to switch over, go get an A+ cert it's really easy and will be an instant in to entry level. you can use youtube to study if you have to

• Locked thread