Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You'd be surprised at the number of flatlanders who bang out Quandary, Bierstadt, or Grays/Torreys. Your cousin's number is off by about 500-700 feet, but otherwise I mean :shrug: Unless she was talking about ""bagging"" Mt. Evans from the parking lot at the top of the road (14,240'), which many, many, many people seem to do.

Looking at the info for White Mountain it seems like that's 2k of gain over 7 miles? Sounds like your best bet is to sleep a night or two at 7k+ and then hit the trail. 2k isn't a crazy amount of gain. As long as you stay aware of the signs of AMS and get down if you start to get light headed or get a headache. Just curious when you did your 10k hike, were you getting altitude sickness, or just really fatigued? How much gain did you do that day?

Also keep in mind that any 14er is just going to be a difficult hike in general. I've got 20 under my belt (+2 repeats) and there's almost never been a point at which I didn't stop for a moment and think long and hard about turning around and heading back down because gently caress all that noise. The key will be differentiating between "this is exhausting" (it will be) and "this is dangerous."

And don't worry about getting too old. The mountain will be there next year.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread