Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks for the reality check.

I made numerous mistakes at 10k. I was wearing too many layer (burning up), carrying too much poo poo in my backpack, took too little water. In addition, in the two months leading up to the hike I was not exercising because I was sick. I'll repeat the 10k hike with these new insights and if things improve substantially (faster than 1 step every 3 seconds for the last half hour), then I'll greenlight the 14k hike.

Camping at the trailhead to properly acclimate for 14k is an option. I would prefer the campground because they at least have bathrooms (pits), but I'll trade a first world comfort for a day if it helps me be successful in the high altitude hike.
I think what would help more than simply camping at 12k instead of 8.7k is an additional day or two of acclimation. If you can adjust your schedule to give you multiple days above 8k before you start your hike that will help. Bottom line though is that 14 is no joke and will be a challenge regardless. When I did Mt Whitney I spent three days in Mammoth beforehand, being active from 8-10k and sleeping at 8k each night, and the summit day was still brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's all the more impressive considering there are no peaks higher than 14,500 in the contiguous US

• Locked thread