Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morbus
May 18, 2004

Realistically, acclimatization to 14k is not going to happen by spending one night at 8.7k. The main effect of that one night will be to (probably) make any AMS symptoms less severe than they would be if you camped at the 12k trailhead right away, and to give you a much better chance of a good night's rest. But your performance at 14k is inevitably going to be significantly worse than it is at 10k, and even >1 week of acclimatization can only help this so much.

See for example:
http://www.usariem.army.mil/assets/docs/publications/articles/2004/altitudeacclimatizationguide.PDF

You should expect to take up to 50% longer than you expect based on your previous experience at ~10k.

As long as you give yourself plenty of time, manage expectations about your pacing and athletic performance, and do what you can to minimize AMS symptoms, you should probably be fine. Personally, I do most of my trips around 10k, and if I go significantly above that I am usually OK as long as I give myself much more time than I normally would need and accept a slower than normal pace, especially when ascending. That said, every now and again I'll have a trip were I just know I'm going to feel miserable as soon as I get above 10k, and I almost always spend a night at ~8k first.

Some people use acetazolamide to reduce the symptoms of AMS, but it wrecks your aerobic performance. Still, if you find simply feeling terrible is your problem and can deal with a much slower ascent, it can be a good option. Personally my problem at these altitudes is less the AMS and more that I sometimes find myself having to stop and catch my breath like every 10 steps on ascent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread