Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plick
Jun 9, 2007
Guardian of the Checkbook
Hi Goons,

For years I have lurked but now I need your help. Here is my problem:
A couple of months ago, I put the mister and myself on a tweaked macrobiotic diet.
I say tweaked because I still used dairy products on occasion and chicken. Tonight I made pancakes for him as a treat.
I used the same recipe for pancakes that he has always enjoyed:

1 1/2 c. flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs sugar ( I use 2)
1 1/4c. milk
1 LG egg
3 tbs butter (melted)

The thing is, he did not enjoy the pancakes. Not for the reasons one would think after being on a macrobiotic diet. He said they were not sweet enough and tasted like banana bread without the banana. After a few months of no sugar or processed foods, pancakes should have been super sweet. They tasted normal to me. He couldn't tell if it was the pancakes or the syrup. He is awesome and deserves perfect pancakes. My research has found that most chefs say that good pancakes only use flour, sugar, eggs, and milk but they never produce the recipe and I have the baking black thumb of death. I am looking for either the perfect pancake recipe or the link to the best maple syrup (preferably both). After months of being denied hot dogs, beef, and white bread, the least I could do is make him some awesome pancakes.

Any pancake or syrup advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plick
Jun 9, 2007
Thank you! I will try this. After repeatedly seeing recipes that did not need baking powder I was concerned that I was doing something wrong. The vanilla makes me want to try this now!

(I'm also wondering why my "Help" tag got changed to "poo poo Post" but the pancakes are more important).

plick
Jun 9, 2007
It was blueberry syrup. The cheap Smucker's brand because that's what he requested. We have both concluded, since this was a recipe he previously loved, that it had to be the syrup he was using. I tried to talk him into maple syrup and letting me make fresh blueberry pancakes but no-go. I think he was trying to relive a childhood experience and found that after cutting out processed food that fake food tastes like crap. I'm very excited about trying the vanilla in the recipe. I also agree that Alton has never failed me thus far.

Sole.Sushi, Macrobiotics is a combination of ruling out all processed foods and most meats (you can eat only certain fish once in a while). They only eat fruits and veges that are in season for the region you live in and seem to promote dried fruit over fresh. The whole diet encompasses a yin and yang balance. None of their principals ever fit into my small budget. That said, the idea of eating seasonal/regional veges & fruits and not consuming processed foods always made sense to me. As a former fatty, I put myself on a macrobiotic diet in the early 2000's when I could no longer afford Jenny Craig. The results were immediate and longer lasting than any diet I had ever tried.

plick fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 11, 2016

plick
Jun 9, 2007
Brown rice does have a much stronger flavor than white. I do use brown rice a lot but I still use or mix in white for some recipes. When I make spaghetti, I mix brown rice pasta with plain pasta... a lot of macrobiotic recipes recommend buckwheat pasta which I dislike the taste of. Our plan was to lose some weight and eat healthier without going nuts. I refuse to make buckwheat pancakes as I do not like buckwheat. If I'm going to make the man pancakes, they need to be some awesome pancakes which is the reason for this post. I completely failed him on what was supposed to be a treat. He wasn't awful about it but when a guy agrees to do without his favorites for months...a treat needs to be a proper treat!

plick
Jun 9, 2007
The cinnamon sounds awesome. Can't wait to try this.

• Locked thread