Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
It’s about that time again. Another Final Fantasy game has released. You know what this means: it’s time for everyone to endure it. Buckle your seatbelts.

Against all rules of common sense and the recommendations of several certified mental health professionals, some of us have reunited to slog through whatever nonsense this game has to offer.

Everyone here knows Kuvo. Some of you may remember topiKal for better or worse. Joining us occasionally will be bandunk and probably others at times (who knows). Maybe we’ll bring in some more guests as long as they don’t get carsick.

:yaycloud: YOUTUBE PLAYLIST FOR EMMY CONSIDERATION

Episode 1: The Explaining Game
Episode 2: Sponsored by Coleman
Episode 3: "Got It"
Episode 4: Dress Up
Episode 5: Noctis After Dark
Episode 6: Fishing for the Plot
Episode 7: Legally Dead
Episode 8: Dropping On In
Episode 9: HardCor
Episode 10: Catch-Up and Hot Sauce
Episode 11: Schedule 1 Frogs
Episode 12: Catcher-22
Episode 13: The Fast and the Furious: Chocobo Drift
Episode 14: Noctis' Stupid loving Carnival
Episode 15: Noctis' Stupid loving Fireworks
Episode 16: How 'Bout the Decals
Episode 17: Kevin - "Just Name it Something About How Bad I am at this Game (very)"
Episode 18: This is Why I'm Single
Episode 19: Meeting the Locals
Episode 20: Florida Man
Episode 21: Reversal of Fortune
Episode 22: Typical Mexico
Episode 23: Cave Banditos
Episode 24: Jaywalking is a Victimless Crime
Episode 25: Come with me to the Car Park
Episode 26: Schedule 2 Frogs
Episode 27: Sorry
Episode 28: Chocobo Rough Riders
Episode 29: Catoblepas
Episode 30: You Better Believe It
Episode 31: Pretty Boy
Episode 32: Bandersnatch Works from Home
Episode 33: Tremendous Bridge
Episode 34: Car Gets Uglier
Episode 35: Prompto's Peak
Episode 36: Still Got It
Episode 36: Mythril Hunt
Episode 37: Remembering Your First Time
Episode 38: Sweet Jumps
Episode 39: Bandunk Takes the Wheel
Episode 40: More Metals than Eisenhower
Episode 41: pets.com
Episode 42: Nootle Kobotle
Episode 43: So you want to be an assassin?
Episode 44: Tragic Beauty
Episode 45: Prince of the Pond
Episode 46: Magic Flask
Episode 47: I could eat a whore
Episode 48: What Happened
Episode 49: Eligible Bachelor
Episode 50: Chicky Nuggs
Episode 51: Bonus Gruel
Episode 52: Incomprehensible
Episode 53: Assuage
Episode 54: Magic Time Dog vs. The Icy Plot Goddess
Episode 55: Y'all're
Episode 56: Imperial Data Center
Episode 57: Total Recap
Episode 58: Kuvo takes a poo poo
April Fools: Prison. Break.
Episode 59: Padding it Out
Episode 60: Snootchie Bootchies
Episode 61: Fire and Ice: The Thermomix
Episode 62: Shenmue Ep 20
Episode 63: Out Cold
Episode 64: Magitek Gear Stupid
Episode 65: Arctic Blunder
Episode 66: Caring Prompto Units
Episode 67: Grape Ape
Episode 68: Hard and Fast
Episode 69: 21,900 pounds
Episode 70: Twenty Four Thousand Swords
Episode 71: Freedom

Final Fantasy XV is the latest installment of the famous and terrible series of storyfight games. For the first time we are playing it right after the initial release. The game just came out worldwide on November 29, 2016 (that’s like last week!).

Just like cloud computing and your favorite Pokemon, the series is evolving into something more and more confusing and unrecognizable. Every FF in recent years has become increasingly action-based, culminating in this which basically seems to be an open-world Action RPG more than a turn-based affair. Sure, why not? Can’t fight the future.

A few guidelines for our Let’s Plays:
  • We are bad at games
  • We talk and sometimes drink a lot
  • No spoilers in the thread
  • We love you

Noctis, the crown prince of Lucis, is heading out on the highway with his good friends. They just can’t wait to get to Altissia so he can marry his bangin’ hot lady and make some cool prince-babies who will also have sweet cars.

Let’s just reiterate that for unexplained reasons, the prince is driving through the desert and fighting wild animals with only three buddies and what seems to be a pretty unreliable car. Also I guess his family isn’t coming to the wedding (???). We’ll discuss this more as we figure out what the heck is even happening with this plot.

While on our way to the wedding, the Empire attacked our country and killed King Dad (who btw had Palpatine-style lightning hands). Ever since then we've all been declared legally dead and the Empire has been after us. We met up with Gladiolus' sister Iris to have a fun date, fought Titan, and went to a carnival. All in all, it's been a great trip so far.

(no we did not find the full names of these characters on Wikipedia)

Noctis Lucis Caelum
Arbitrary Skill: Fishing
Crown Prince of Lucis. Seems to be fairly level-headed aside from having little to no regard for his own personal safety or royal title.

Gladiolus Amicitia
Arbitrary Skill: Survival
Bodyguard for Noctis. Has a weirdly deep voice and tends to give advice. As of yet he has almost no actual personality.

Ignis Scientia
Arbitrary Skill: Cooking
That last name, are you serious? Some kind of military tactician. Often "invents" recipes based on activities that have absolutely no relation to cooking, which is a pretty good indicator he's actually just feeding us sand with added spices.

Prompto Argentum
Arbitrary Skill: Photography
Looks like Cloud Strife. Extremely stupid and annoying person who may die in a dramatic fashion to move the plot forward, like Spike Jonze’s character in Three Kings. Sorry if you’ve never seen Three Kings.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret
The Princess of Tenebrae, she's chillin' at the castle so Noctis can head on over and take her hand in marriage. Must be pretty patient considering he's spending an awful lot of time dicking around in the desert. Like most classy ladies, she has a British accent. Also has a pet homing dog whose name we don't know yet but will probably be the subject of many dog reaction shots in the future. Update: dog's name is Umbra

Umbra
The official royal dog, he basically carries messages between Lunafreya and Noctis. "Got it."

Iris Amicitia
Gladiolus's sister who is aiding and abetting us. She seems more intellectually competent than our entire team combined, which begs the question of why we're even controlling these other guys. Probably has a crush on Noctis, but who cares.

Cid Sophiar & Cindy Aurum
Grandfather-granddaughter team who run a gas station. Cindy holds the current record for most ear-shatteringly awful fake accent since Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula, so that’s nice. Like most gas station attendants, they often ask people go into the desert and murder wildlife. Update: looks like Cid was a bodyguard for Noctis' dad when he was younger or something. He's pretty salty about it.

Ardyn Izunia
Some dude who was at the beach. Overly cryptic and antagonistic. No clue who he is yet, but we'll probably be fighting him to the death somewhere in the last five hours of the game.
Since then we found out his name is Ardyn and he is the Imperial Chancellor. Seems like that would be a fairly involved job, but apparently not because he finds enough time to show up periodically, screw with us, and impound our car despite our squeaky-clean driving records.

Dino Ghiranze
A blackmailing reporter who hangs out by the beach. He has a blatantly fake Italian/New Yawhk accent that is almost as bad as Cindy's. Seems like the type of guy who knows how to wolf-whistle really loud.

Sword Guy
Sells swords outside the gas station, as you do. His products are high quality.

topiKal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/NfND8Jp.mp4

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I look forward for the next 5 months of this, until it suddenly changes to... I dunno, OwlBoy on April 1st?

Then I'll look forward to that too.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
Nice this is an extremely terrible idea, should I start writing fanfiction for you to read because I have some wonderful head canons about how Prompto has IBS.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Pushing 30s newest LP: brought to you by Nissin Cup Noodles®. We know you love any kind of meat, and nothing goes great with Nissin Cup Noodles® like any kind of meat.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

I MADE THAT GIF you gently caress

I810BUX fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 10, 2016

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

As someone who has made multiple American cross-country trips by car, I can safely say that this game is not accurate at all as it contains no state troopers or massive truck stops with a Dairy Queen that you have to eat at because it's the only restaurant open for 60 miles.

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

You crazy motherfuckers. Did Tales of Vesperia teach you nothing?

Also I can't believe bandunk is loving alive. I didn't even recognize his voice at first.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

2016 wasn't such a bad year after all I guess. Thanks for the Festivus miracle guys.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh gently caress here we go, I was wondering when someone was going to inflict this on themselves. Long road ahead boys, and I hope whichever among you is driving brought something other than beer!

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
bandunk already sounds like this game is killing him

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Qwarq posted:

Also I can't believe bandunk is loving alive. I didn't even recognize his voice at first.

One doesn't recognize bandunk's voice per se. One just recognizes bandunk's volume.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Kuvo I think you forgot when April 1st is.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Jesus Christ. Literally yesterday someone asked me if you guys were gonna stream or LP this game and I said no way, they'd never LP this weird-rear end game.

:shepicide:

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Oh man, hearing you three together again is the best drat christmas present ever. I missed bandunks sense of humour.

Even if this turns out to be a false flag LP I am all for it haha.

Thanks guys.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Your battle buddy seems almost as useless as the gun guy from Fable II.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
If there ever was a Tipping 40s reunion it would be playing this game nonstop for 72 hours straight. Thank you for mostly making this come true.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The band's back together :unsmith:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Qwarq posted:

I thought it was Pat with a cold for the first half. Then he started screaming about bocci ball...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly a ton of stuff was cut from this game's plot. And another part was turned into a movie.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I have to admit I thought bandunk sounded like Minifoo at first as well. All I know is this game looks good as a boyband road trip sim but bad as an action game just from seeing my brother play it. For some reason Shemnue came to mind but my mind wanders into dark places sometimes.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.
Bandunk got a story patch that caused him to sound different, called working in tech while also having a kid so that you have no life energy anymore.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I have zero interest in this game, but I'm contractually obligated to see it. Thanks for playing it so I don't have to!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Prompto seems like the name of a low-rent magician.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Name the car polio rolio

I've contributed now.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I can't believe this, is this real life?

I guess I'll put off watching Jojo for another 30 min

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I can't believe this, is this real life?

I think its just fantasy.

Now I'm really hoping beyond hope that they break out some Bohemian Rhapsody.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

This was a nice surprise for sure! My condolences though, the combat in this game just looks absolutely awful... Did it feel awful as well?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

DO IT TO IT posted:

This was a nice surprise for sure! My condolences though, the combat in this game just looks absolutely awful... Did it feel awful as well?
The lockon is pretty useless and the camera keeps screwing up, so it can get pretty annoying.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

If you guys haven't figured it out yet, switch the camera option to "far" or else you won't be able to see poo poo in combat

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

slev posted:

If you guys haven't figured it out yet, switch the camera option to "far" or else you won't be able to see poo poo in combat
Huh, I hadn't even noticed that was an option.. :downs:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned (or Bad at Video Games), but honestly I'd rather have a turn-based combat system like in FFX than this really awkward action RPG poo poo with a tacked-on Wait mode.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like the combat in this game but so much poo poo is often going on at once that the whole "strategy" thing can be kind of hard to pull off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh boy, and I was running out of LPs to watch

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress THIS GAME WHERE'S XENOBLADE

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
This game is good. However, watching you bumble through it sounds better.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

ZenVulgarity posted:

gently caress THIS GAME WHERE'S XENOBLADE

This is it. This is Xenoblade right here.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I couldn't the CA All Day podcast. Could someone post a link?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Hell yes, boy band adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've started playing this myself and from what little experience I have let me just say that you are loving insane. But hey what else is new

• Locked thread