Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Regalingualius posted:

Really, though:

WHY THE gently caress would you send out your son and his bodyguards without so much as some gas money for what's probably going to be one of the most important diplomatic functions in modern history (let alone one of the most important moments of his life)? Is King King really that much of a cheapass broke?

Maybe it's one of those "you must make it there by your own resources, to prove how manly you are" traditions? Best he gets is his bros and the keys to the King's Jag (which he probably nicked).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares
I think it's implied in flavor text somewhere that the the kingdom of Lucis has its own currency separate from Niflheim, who at this point basically rules everything except the city of Insomnia. As such the prince became broke af the second he stepped past the Barrier.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah it's a bit blink-and-you'll-miss-it but Ignis says something like "It looks like our money's no good out here", and Prompto at one point says "What's a... gil?".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
In another sort of blink and miss it moment, they do say they used the last of their money to pay Cid for the repairs.

I thought it was somewhat strange he'd take payment in advance but if they're using bad money then it makes sense.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

What do you mean you don't accept Regisbucks?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Fedule posted:

Yeah it's a bit blink-and-you'll-miss-it but Ignis says something like "It looks like our money's no good out here", and Prompto at one point says "What's a... gil?".

I find it funny none of the cast have ever heard of a credit card. More so when you consider American Express is one of the product placements.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Calihan posted:

I find it funny none of the cast have ever heard of a credit card. More so when you consider American Express is one of the product placements.
Maybe the Lucis dollar got the poo poo kicked out of it because of the war, so their credit isn't worth anything.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of, who else got in-game advertising, out of morbid curiosity? :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

American Express is on some store windows.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

And I expect the biggest one to remain unspoiled, so the crew gets to experience it blind when it shows up in a big way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm imagining the logistics of Noctis And The Insomiacs (that's the band name btw) rolling up and realizing their money is no good here

Like, did they flash their wad of cold Lucis cash only to be told that, no, out here we're on the mythril standard, gil coins only

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gruckles posted:

What do you mean you don't accept Regisbucks?

Regisbucks are fiat currency, BitRegis is the way of the future.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

And I expect the biggest one to remain unspoiled, so the crew gets to experience it blind when it shows up in a big way.

That side-quest. I haven't cringed so hard in a good while.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

JT Jag posted:

I'm imagining the logistics of Noctis And The Insomiacs (that's the band name btw) rolling up and realizing their money is no good here

Like, did they flash their wad of cold Lucis cash only to be told that, no, out here we're on the mythril standard, gil coins only

There's dialogue for Promto saying "Wait, what's a Gil?" when you first go into the first shop, but it didn't trigger this time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

There's dialogue for Promto saying "Wait, what's a Gil?" when you first go into the first shop, but it didn't trigger this time.
Oh, I know, but I'm just trying to visualize the entirety of that exchange.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Oh, I know, but I'm just trying to visualize the entirety of that exchange.

I hope you are visualizing it with Noctis trying to pay someone with a banknote with his own face on it.

Bonus points if the image on the currency is mirroring his own usual deadpan expression.

Calihan fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 14, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rocketlex posted:

I hope it triggers way later, like the party's been collecting and using gil for a few days and suddenly Prompto realizes "Wait what the hell is this stuff"

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I interpreted the money thing as, they actually did take a bunch of cash with them, but all of it went to car repairs because Cid intentionally overcharged them. That's why Cindy had that line about her grandpa paw-paw "teaching them boys a lesson." Going out and earning something instead of having it handed to them for being royalty.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Again, though, this is something where the nation's continued existence hangs on Noel getting there in a timely manner... and some random hick is endangering countless people in his country in order to "teach the prince a lesson".

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I thought the whole point was that they were over the border by now? Which is why no-one's showing them any particular respect.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Paul.Power posted:

I thought the whole point was that they were over the border by now? Which is why no-one's showing them any particular respect.

It's a diplomatic marriage. Those usually benefit both countries.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
oh man. the boys are back. i recently somehow found the old We Didn't Start The Blitzball song that someone made for the FFX LP.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, what the hell are the skills going to be like on higher levels? I mean, obviously Noctis will be catching fish with his bare hands Ignis will figure out how to cook using items they don't have using a combination of magicite and molecular gastronomy and Prompto will stop sticking his thumb in front of the camera all the time. But what the hell is the big dude going to do? Are they going to abandon the Coleman camping gear and just let him build them a cottage or something every night?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The marriage is still a good deal in the future. Noct is more or less heading there ahead of time from what I can tell. They are not in a super big hurry.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm not a huge fan of group LP's, but I'm following this one because I do think the game is kinda charming so far.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not a huge fan of group LP's, but I'm following this one because I do think the game is kinda charming so far.
Normally I hate completely blind LPs of open-ended games like this, they can get bogged down doing nothing forever, but when the commentators are as good as the former T40s there's always an exception. It's always about being able to fill dead air when you're doing something like this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

JT Jag posted:

Normally I hate completely blind LPs of open-ended games like this, they can get bogged down doing nothing forever, but when the commentators are as good as the former T40s there's always an exception. It's always about being able to fill dead air when you're doing something like this.

Yes that's right. And the Shenmues have showed us that they can fill dead air pretty well.
I hope there is another section where a character just walks through a forest for an hour.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Again, though, this is something where the nation's continued existence hangs on Noel getting there in a timely manner... and some random hick is endangering countless people in his country in order to "teach the prince a lesson".

Sounds about right to me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

I'm just gonna say that Cid has a somewhat justified reason for why he's doing this beyond just spite. We won't find out for several episodes though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I'm just gonna say that Cid has a somewhat justified reason for why he's doing this beyond just spite. We won't find out for several episodes though.

Is it "AH NEEDED BOOZE MONEH!"?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Is it "AH NEEDED BOOZE MONEH!"?
That would be pretty justified

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Had been considering purchasing this when that need was obsoleted in the best way. Glad to see you guys at it again, seems like forever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly wasn't super interested in the game, but I might end up getting it now if it goes on sale. I love that Noctis' notification tone for getting a text from Carbuncle was Carbuncle squeaking. That's what I choose to believe and I won't be convinced otherwise.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Had been considering purchasing this when that need was obsoleted in the best way. Glad to see you guys at it again, seems like forever.

The best parts of this are the gameplay, the incidental dialogue and some of the random sidequest poo poo. An LP doesn't really obsolete that just saying.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

A Sometimes Food posted:

The best parts of this are the gameplay, the incidental dialogue and some of the random sidequest poo poo. An LP doesn't really obsolete that just saying.
Yeah I know it's weird to say this about a Final Fantasy game but this is actually fun to play, not just experience

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

JT Jag posted:

Yeah I know it's weird to say this about a Final Fantasy game but this is actually fun to play, not just experience

I've got enough other games on my list at the moment that seeing it played scratches the itch for now. Maybe on a future sale.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

I've got enough other games on my list at the moment that seeing it played scratches the itch for now. Maybe on a future sale.

Probably for the best, since Square has said they plan to update the game with more cutscenes and content to smooth over the story issues the game has.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Which is a good idea, since SE is planning a ton of patches to fix more things in the game, adding new story elements to the main narrative, fixing Chapter 13- hailed as the worst gameplay in any Final Fantasy game, not that that means much- adding new playable characters, new game plus stuff, new side missions, giving some of the boy band better character too.

So give it another year or two if possible.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Someone give Kuvo the dlc car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also fun fact. Regis is latin for "of the King" so King Regis is "King of the King."

I'm going to be so disappointed if the game ends without Regis ever saying "On your knees, dog"

• Locked thread