Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Drink every time you want to punch Prompto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don't think we can handle a pure alcohol diet yet.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Conquistador posted:

So are we still doing drinking words? 'Cause if so, I nominate 'Noct.' :v:

i vote Regalia

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Drink every time Ignis comes up with a new recipe!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I insist you get every recipe and never cook anything but toast

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Drink every time you jump when trying to interact with something.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Drink every time you want to punch Prompto.

You'd never get drunk on this drinking game!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Camel Pimp posted:

I insist you get every recipe and never cook anything but toast

"Noctis please, Prompto's teeth are falling out from the scurvy, we have the ingredie--"
"TOAST."

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Because I love you all, I should inform you that anyone who wants this stupid game can get it for $35 at Amazon right now

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Wish there was a sale on the digital copy since I don't live in the US but that's still full price.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
A drinking condition should be when bandunk makes an NFL Combine joke.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

topiKal posted:

Because I love you all, I should inform you that anyone who wants this stupid game can get it for $35 at Amazon right now

I love you too~

ApeHawk posted:

Drink EAT every time Ignis comes up with a new recipe!

ftfy

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You gotta eat whatever recipe he cooks up, and it has to look like it does in the game too.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Me irl, whatever, who cares

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You gotta eat whatever recipe he cooks up, and it has to look like it does in the game too.

They're gonna need a lot of bread for all of that toast they're going to exclusively make.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

dimenticon posted:

They're gonna need a lot of bread for all of that toast they're going to exclusively make.

All he does is reinvent toast all the time? Lame.

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.

topiKal posted:

This is actually a pretty good deal, so I will take advantage of it. Now I can make my own toast go on my own hunky boy band road trip.

I love you too, Benson.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Now we got dope threads, so fresh

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Good times.

Free advice:

1) The problem you're having with block/parry seems to be - slight guesswork, but - you're tapping the block button instead of holding it. The prompt just means someone is targeting you with a parryable attack; you need to be holding block if/when that attack connects to get the parry prompt. Generally, you want to be going for spot dodges (tap dodge at the last second) on everything except parryable attacks, especially once you upgrade the dodge a bit.

2) Prompto is taking lovely blown-out photos because the thing you changed from "Random" to "Often" is his lovely overexposure filter, not the actual frequency of photos. You will get more filters as he levels up in Photography, and you'll probably want to turn all of these filters off or make them infrequent because most of them suck (IMO, YMMV).

3) Save photos. You can save up to 150 photos. Please save lots of photos. Saved photos live in your save file, not your console storage, but if you want to save a photo to storage just hit Share and back out.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

Agreed, please save photos throughout your journey, you're bound to get a lot of okay-looking and also hilarious ones.

I think someone mentioned in the thread already, but the game doesn't tell you that re-pressing the sprint button right near when the bar runs out also refills it completely, signified by Noctis flashing green. Also, when you're sprinting the stamina meter automatically refills when you sprint into a waist-high hoppable obstacle like fences and certain rocks, so you can look out for those to keep your stride going.

Has anybody here who played consistently lock-on to enemies during battles? I found it too inconsistent early on and just let myself attack whoever the loose lock-on targeted.

dimenticon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 21, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

topiKal posted:

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Now we got dope threads, so fresh
If you look at the hunt posters, all hunt marks are "wanted for habitat destruction", so I guess you're hunting them because they're either overpopulating or invasive and a danger to local species.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I really wish I'd gotten a spare code for the gaudy chocobo decal DLC so I could send that to you as well.

I'm looking forward to what you do to the car in the future. :allears:

Also now that you guys have looked around the not-sphere grid for awhile, grab Ignis's skill Regroup when you can, it's under the Techniques tab and probably the most useful tech in the game.

One more for the "things the game doesn't tell you" train of advice: Hitting down on the d-pad while music's playing enables shuffle.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

If I move to Arizona can I expect to get quests from diner cooks?

Lt. Conquistador
Oct 25, 2011

Because "Lieutenant" didn't fit.
Prompto and his excitement over sleeping in a winnebago make me think that he's secretly a meth cook.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing the reason they justify the limit to one hunt at a time is that there are several quests that overlap in the same area.

Of course in such a huge world there's no reason why they couldn't just have them move 50 yards down the road, or cross the street.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yeah that limit is very arbitrary, going back and forth every single quest will get annoying fast I reckon.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Also kind of annoying you can't even accept that high level hunt to keep it in your log for later. Once you've leveled up enough you have to remember that there was a hunt in the starting area you couldn't do earlier and go back to start it.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

The mechanic of hunts being available through diners is one I think is really neat conceptually, but in actuality there's zero reason they shouldn't be able to log that poo poo over a 4g network or something because everyone in this game has a smartphone. Like just send me my rewards through a royal dropbox or something, I don't want to run/drive back and forth.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Wiseblood posted:

Also kind of annoying you can't even accept that high level hunt to keep it in your log for later. Once you've leveled up enough you have to remember that there was a hunt in the starting area you couldn't do earlier and go back to start it.

Yeah, the system for accepting hunts is a local maxima of bullshit.

Every area has its own collection of hunts, and they are all gated by hunting level. You can see hunts that are one level higher than you, but you can't accept them. You can also have only one active hunt at a time. There is no way to remotely check what hunts are available, where.

To clear every hunt, you will have to constantly be flitting around between diners to see if new stuff has cropped up every time you go up a hunting level, because you'll quickly wind up in situations where everywhere only has one or two hunts to do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I definitely recommend getting a handle on elemancy at some point cause magic in this game is basically a tactical nuke you can deploy at will. It's a bit obtuse especially considering how it's completely unlike how magic worked in any previous entry, but it's very simple. You can draw ice/fire/lightning from spots on the map (usually clustered around campgrounds) and then put it into a magic flask in your elemancy menu. The more you put in the stronger the spell is, shown with potency, and you can add a regular item as a catalyst to add others effects (dual/tri/quint cast and so on are the best for pure damage). Then you just select craft and you can equip the spell in one of your weapon slots to use in a fight.

dimenticon
Jun 16, 2014

The game slightly alleviates it by letting you report to any tipster/diner as opposed to exactly the one you took the hunt from. Useful if you're bouncing from quest to quest I guess, you can turn in a hunt from an earlier diner to one you'll run into later.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I feel kind of bad for getting kuvo hyped up for darts.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 21, 2016

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

1) The problem you're having with block/parry seems to be - slight guesswork, but - you're tapping the block button instead of holding it. The prompt just means someone is targeting you with a parryable attack; you need to be holding block if/when that attack connects to get the parry prompt. Generally, you want to be going for spot dodges (tap dodge at the last second) on everything except parryable attacks, especially once you upgrade the dodge a bit.

2) Prompto is taking lovely blown-out photos because the thing you changed from "Random" to "Often" is his lovely overexposure filter, not the actual frequency of photos. You will get more filters as he levels up in Photography, and you'll probably want to turn all of these filters off or make them infrequent because most of them suck (IMO, YMMV).

melodicwaffle posted:

Also now that you guys have looked around the not-sphere grid for awhile, grab Ignis's skill Regroup when you can, it's under the Techniques tab and probably the most useful tech in the game.

One more for the "things the game doesn't tell you" train of advice: Hitting down on the d-pad while music's playing enables shuffle.

dimenticon posted:

I think someone mentioned in the thread already, but the game doesn't tell you that re-pressing the sprint button right near when the bar runs out also refills it completely, signified by Noctis flashing green. Also, when you're sprinting the stamina meter automatically refills when you sprint into a waist-high hoppable obstacle like fences and certain rocks, so you can look out for those to keep your stride going.

quoting these so i can remember them before we record next time

also i screwed around with the h264 encoding settings so this next batch of videos should look better

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Genocyber posted:

I definitely recommend getting a handle on elemancy at some point cause magic in this game is basically a tactical nuke you can deploy at will. It's a bit obtuse especially considering how it's completely unlike how magic worked in any previous entry, but it's very simple. You can draw ice/fire/lightning from spots on the map (usually clustered around campgrounds) and then put it into a magic flask in your elemancy menu. The more you put in the stronger the spell is, shown with potency, and you can add a regular item as a catalyst to add others effects (dual/tri/quint cast and so on are the best for pure damage). Then you just select craft and you can equip the spell in one of your weapon slots to use in a fight.
Try combining a bunch of drawn elements with an equal amount of sheep's milk (you know, the kind you can buy from any item shop) some time. The results are hilarious.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kuvo posted:

quoting these so i can remember them before we record next time

also i screwed around with the h264 encoding settings so this next batch of videos should look better

You're uploading to YT so that's not happening.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Path of Exile is a good game! :argh:

You missed your perfect chance to make the The Phantom Regalia, exterior like fish eggs, the interior like suicide wrist red

Wall drug rules.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

melodicwaffle posted:

I really wish I'd gotten a spare code for the gaudy chocobo decal DLC so I could send that to you as well.

I'm looking forward to what you do to the car in the future. :allears:

Does it also change Cindy into Chocolina?

I kid, I kid. There's no way Square wouldn't charge for that separately.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Please tell me the car has a customizable horn and you can make the General Lee.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Bruceski posted:

Please tell me the car has a customizable horn and you can make the General Lee.

I think you meant THIS horn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yrHMyfsjk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume it would be his nation's flag and the chocobo theme on the horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm not too far in the game but I'll summarize what I assume are the plot points the game wants you to know from Kingsglaive if you want to know but not watch it.
Some of this happens in the next story quest, so maybe read it after that if you want it to be a surprise.

The king wanted the marriage to take place outside the city so he sends Noct to where it was supposed to take place (begining of the game), but for some reason Lunafreya is brought to the city
The peace treaty was a trap, the empire kills the king and steals the magic crystal powering the city
Lunafreya escapes the city with the king's ring, the empire wants the ring.
The ring gives the wearer crazy magic powers, but kills anyone "unworthy" who wears it (presumably those of not royal blood)
Lunafreya wants to get the ring to Noct

Also the king just loans his magic powers to people, I guess this explains how only Noct can craft/draw magic and he just gives them to his friends to use in neat little balls.

• Locked thread