Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
options
left, use, <left>, swear, left
left, use, <left>, not swear, left
left, not use, left, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, right
right, use, <left>, not swear, right
right, not use, right, swear, left
right, not use, right, swear, right
goku
im gay
im gay goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I am a good boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

rudatron posted:

can 'goodness' be distinguished from sufficiently advanced rational self-interest (so long as people fear death), is it actually ethical to constrain choice through agreement, and can a promise made without consequences have any value or substance to it?

the answer of the thread was unanimously: aliens bad

e: After re-reading the questions GlyphGryph posed for the original hypothetical, I'm in agreement that it'd be good to have a dialogue.

Ignatius M. Meen has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Dec 27, 2016

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

rudatron posted:

can 'goodness' be distinguished from sufficiently advanced rational self-interest (so long as people fear death), is it actually ethical to constrain choice through agreement, and can a promise made without consequences have any value or substance to it?

I'm not really sure why "constraining choice" is morally noteworthy. Most of the time, constraining ourselves is such a non-event that we don't notice that we're doing it.

My car only has a quarter tank of gas. To drive any distance, I'd have to stop and refuel. So, I've constrained future me's ability to drive quickly.

I've set up automatic withholding on my taxes. That constrains future me's ability to refuse to give money to a future government.

These kinds of pre-commitment mechanisms seem super-mundane. Are you against them generally? Or is there some specific case that makes them evil?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

can 'goodness' be distinguished from sufficiently advanced rational self-interest (so long as people fear death),

Why is it important that the two concepts be distinguished between?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rudatron posted:

Edit: Actual well thought and reasoned response has been removed, because I remember I'm still waiting on your response from.

rudatron posted:

i read your response, i'm still thinking about it, that is going to take some time - in the mean time, i would appreciate some answers on these questions. i will provide my response to you, at a later point, but not right now.

I encourage everyone else to edit out their answers as well

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Dec 27, 2016

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Why is it important that the two concepts be distinguished between?

They seem totally different, but probably not in the way that rudatron is hoping.

The "rational" in "rational self-interest" is economist speak for "how effective are you at achieving your goals". It has nothing to do with what those goals are. Ghandi and Hitler could both have been rational. They just wanted vastly different things.

"Goodness" is about the content of goals.

When you want stuff that doesn't effect me, ("You want to buy yourself a Tesla") I'll call that goal "neutral".

When our goals are shared, especially when they relate to the well-being of third parties ("We both want people in our society to be well-fed") I'll call the goal "good".

The 'debate' around rational self-interest seems to mostly come from people not realizing that "I want to help others!" is a perfectly legitimate goal. And in as far as people are doing that, of course they're being good. In as far as they're being effective, then they're being 'rational'.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

can 'goodness' be distinguished from sufficiently advanced rational self-interest (so long as people fear death)

How does this hypothetical address this question? The most you can say is that under certain circumstances they cannot necessarily be distinguished, i.e., that there is no exclusivity condition between them. But why would there be?

rudatron posted:

is it actually ethical to constrain choice through agreement

See, as with the previous question, I have no idea how this stuff popped into your head and don't know what you're getting at, because the argument made in the OP was basically nonexistent. Why would it be unethical? If saving two lives is unanimously agreed to be the "best" outcome (for whatever value of "best" the subjects are using, maybe utility maximization?), then making the choice to guarantee that result through removal of future choice is at least plausibly ethical. If you think otherwise and want to have a discussion about it, we need something more substantive to go on than the dumb guy's non-argument in the OP.

rudatron posted:

the answer of the thread was unanimously: aliens bad

This is a much better question. Are they bad? Is there an ethical imperative against killing sapient beings that can be generalized throughout the whole of the universe? (Certainly the aliens are bad for us, subjectively, in the same sense that wolves are bad for lambs, but beyond that...)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

This is a much better question. Are they bad? Is there an ethical imperative against killing sapient beings that can be generalized throughout the whole of the universe? (Certainly the aliens are bad for us, subjectively, in the same sense that wolves are bad for lambs, but beyond that...)

Yeah I think the real problem is that he keeps wanting to frame this is a really boring and sort of nonsensical ethical question but he keeps designing far more interesting ones, accidentally.

The question of whether or not the aliens are bad and how we should ethically respond to their badness and deal with oppressors forcing us into morally problematic situations is way, way more interesting, way more illuminating, and way more fun to talk about than the stuff he cares about.

And he doesn't understand enough about ethics or how people thinks to even get why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Throughout all of human history there have been folks having to deal with terrible Sophie's choices, sometimes because their captor was a "scientist", sometimes because their captor was a sadistic gently caress, sometimes both

Point is op should go gently caress himself

• Locked thread