Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
options
left, use, <left>, swear, left
left, use, <left>, not swear, left
left, not use, left, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, right
right, use, <left>, not swear, right
right, not use, right, swear, left
right, not use, right, swear, right
goku
im gay
im gay goku
View Results

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm posting this because I would appreciate some answers, about a thought experiment. I would appreciate it if everyone answered seriously, at least once.

Imagine the following scenario:

~~~

It turns out that the EmDrive is not a hoax, physics is wrong, and some crank actually manages to invent what's actually a warp drive. Some aliens, as part of an intergalactic federation, notice this event, and come to earth. They want to integrate humanity into this new federation, but they need to know how ethical they are before they do anything. This information is very, very important to them. They are willing to go to any lengths to learn the truth.

They devise the following experiment.

There is a machine, with a lever, 3 pods, and a a set of timer displays visible to all participants. These pods are human sized, and capable of restraining a person completely once they are placed inside, with the exception of one free hand, which cannot open or meddle with the pod. 2 of the pods are not in reach of the lever. 1 of the pods is. Call this pod 'pod 1'. The lever has 3 settings. left, right and middle. 3 people will be placed in the pods. The machine will start, and the timer will count down. The lever starts in the default, 'middle' position. When the timer hits zero, one of three things will happen:
  1. If the lever is in the middle position, all 3 people will die.
  2. If the lever is in the left position, the person in pod 1 will die, and the other 2 will live.
  3. If the lever is in the right position, the person in pod 1 will live, and the other 2 will die
In all cases, the death is painless & instant. Additionally, the people in the pair of pods are positioned in the room, such that they cannot see pod 1, or the position of the lever. All 3 humans are free to talk to each other, however, once in the pods.

The aliens travel to earth, and secretly abduct 3 people. You are one of those 3. All 3 of you are given time to socialize before the aliens tell you what they want. You learn that all 3 of you are remarkably similar, of equal social standing, age, value to society, temperament, or any other quality you think is important. All 3 of you are friendly (but not friends), and get along well. Yet, none of you are related, or have seen each other before - you are perfect strangers.

The aliens tell you about the experiment, it's importance to them, along with some additional information:
  1. The experiment, due to its nature, will only be performed once.
  2. Humanity will not be killed, threatened, or abused, regardless of the outcome of this experiment - there are no repercussions for anyone, in fact, including the survivors (if any). The aliens are simply extremely interested in the truth.
  3. The experiment is not fake, at least 1 person must die. They demonstrate this clearly with the machine. It is important that you understand that the death of at least one person is 100% guaranteed, no tricks, no deceptions.
  4. Out of shame of having to resort to this experiment, the machine will be destroyed by the aliens, totally, after it has been used.
  5. The aliens are extremely intelligent - whatever option you think 'cheats' the experiment, the aliens will have devised a counter-measure.

You, by random chance, are placed in pod 1.

Q1. Which option do you choose? Justify your reasoning.

Now, consider the same scenario again, as above, but with one difference: while the aliens are setting up the experiment, and before you were randomly selected as being in pod 1, you notice a switch on the lever. All 3 of you come over and, out of view of the aliens, you deduce that the switch will automatically set the lever to end up in one position. If the switch is activated, the lever will move by itself, without input and without any possibility of changing it afterwards, once the timer has started. The aliens will not notice this. You all deduce that this is not an intended feature of the experiment, that it was left there by mistake for testing purposes. All 3 of you agree that that the best outcome would be to ensure it ends up in the 'left' position.

But, as you are all talking, one of your companions raises the following objection:
"If we commit to using this feature, we will have deceived the aliens. But we will not have disproved them. This feature, because it removes individual choice, is ultimately evil. It is in our rational self-interest to set the lever to the 'left' position, because none of us knows who will be in which pod. But since it is simply in our self-interest, it cannot prove that we are good people, and in fact, by committing to using this feature, we have proven that humans are selfish, even if the aliens don't know that."

All 3 of you are torn on this line of thought. The other 2, for some reason, look to you to resolve the decision. Whatever you decide, they will agree with.

Q2. Do you agree with this objection, and regardless of whether you agree of disagree, do you decide to use this feature? Justify your reasoning.

The situation is as above, only now, you have been randomly selected to be in pod 1.

Q3. Under this new scenario, which option do you choose? Justify your reasoning.

Now, imagine the same scenario, as before (ie - all 3 of you discover this feature), only now, before you can decide, one of the other companions pipes up, and agrees with that objection:
"Since this feature removes agency, it is evil. Yet, it would still be helpful if, whoever was in pod 1 choose the left option. How about we swear an oath, upon whatever we hold sacred, to carry out that option?"

You cannot use the feature, because this companion will prevent you, but you have the option of swearing an oath.

Q4. Do you agree, and do you swear the oath? Justify your reasoning.

If you decide to swear an oath, your other 2 companions will also swear. If you do not, they will also refuse.

Again, as it turns out, you are randomly selected to be in pod 1.

Q5. Under this new scenario, which option do you choose? Justify your reasoning.

Now, if you answered to not use the feature in question 2, but did swear the oath, and then choose option left in either questions 3 or 5, there is one additional question I would like you to answer:

What is the functional difference between using the feature, and swearing the oath? Justify your reasoning.

edit: If you answered the above question with the line of reasoning "the oath does not remove choice", then could you please answer this, additional, question:

Of what value is swearing the oath, if any? That is, in what substantial sense is scenario #3 different from scenario #1, ethically speaking?

~~~

I realize this is a long and mostly boring post, but this is a thought experiment I've came up with, and have been thinking about a lot recently, and I think I really, really need other people's input on this. So again, I would appreciate sincere & detailed answers.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
not particularly

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:what:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I'm saving swearing for marriage

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i would have sex with the aliens

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i consume therefore no.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
destroy obviously evil aliens because they came up with a murder experiment and i am obviously will smith

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
yeah really all this proves either way is that the aliens are evil

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i thought will smith is a scientologist, so i guess maybe they say they're thetens

or something

whatever, point is will smith is not cool anymore and therefore can't escape

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
um. lol what

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What does it say about my morality if I didn't read the OP?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
nothing

welcome to this thread friend

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Agnostalgia posted:

yeah really all this proves either way is that the aliens are evil
okay, the aliens are evil

but what do you do

i need to know

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
isnt evil relative?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thanks. Sorry if that came off as dismissive, I just haven't had energy to do anything since Trump won.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i empathize with that, but this has been bouncing around in my head for the last month or so

Baloogan posted:

isnt evil relative?
in the same way that your mom is relative: everyone hates her, but everyone uses her

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i dont give a gently caress im snoop doggy dogg

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
run neoliberal
ru mneoliberal
duck neoliberal
run motherfucker run
run motheuoocker run!

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
i say we kill these fuckin aliens and steal all their oil. this is humanity's universe. manifest destiny motherfuckers

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Guys, its real simple. If there's a hard-nosed uncompromising military man telling us we need to destroy the aliens while a brash young scientist says not to, then the aliens are good guys. Otherwise, blast away.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a brash young CLIMATE scientist?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I misread this as Radbot again and I was wondering how he got around the 100,000 hour probation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i am a terrible person and i deserve absolutely nothing of what ive been given

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

i am a terrible person and i deserve absolutely nothing of what ive been given

okay paypal it to me please

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Agnostalgia posted:

Guys, its real simple. If there's a hard-nosed uncompromising military man telling us we need to destroy the aliens while a brash young scientist says not to, then the aliens are good guys. Otherwise, blast away.
plot twist: as in real life, it's the general that actually knows more about strategy and conflict than the scientist, and the naive scientist gets everyone killed

also they're really hot and have like fluro hair or some poo poo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ive seen this anime

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me murdering aliens, you need me murdering aliens"

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I guess I just wouldn't get in the pod its like, What's in it for me? Why should i get in the pod? maybe not even get abducted in the first place idk it seems inconvenient.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Baloogan posted:

okay paypal it to me please

no

its not rightfully mine but ill fuckin defend it to the death

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

no

its not rightfully mine but ill fuckin defend it to the death

welcome to the republican party

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
paid in USD means im actually making real money for once in my dumb life huzzah!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
both usd and canadian imitation dollars are both filthy fiat, fyi

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
this is good news for PutinCoin

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the first currency backed by polonium

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
if this thread had been posted in D&D they'd be seriously engaging with the premise and that's hosed up.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
whats the premice?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i do want serious answers eventually but am okay with peeps shitposting forever

i just

man

this has been drilling in my head for a while now, in one form or another

shits all hosed up and poo poo

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
TRUMP! *CLICK*

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the only real answer is band together to kill the aliens, gently caress their games. imagine if north korea did this with american prisoners? the only moral option is to try to escape and not play sick games with your captors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
but its not about the aliens

its about

us

you & me

sitting in a tree

k-i-s-s-i-n-g

• Locked thread