Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
options
left, use, <left>, swear, left
left, use, <left>, not swear, left
left, not use, left, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, right
right, use, <left>, not swear, right
right, not use, right, swear, left
right, not use, right, swear, right
goku
im gay
im gay goku
View Results

• Locked thread
FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Is there a version of the OP where the aliens will gently caress people instead of killing them? This could change my answer drastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no, the aliens have no concept of horniness, because they live an empty life

Heaven Spacey posted:

im pretty sure not letting them kill us to answer a hypothetical ethics question is actually the most moral choice though
its not a hypothetical ethics question, it's as real as ethics questions get

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rudatron is an alien and you know what this means boys

VIGILO CONFIDO

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

rudatron posted:

its not a hypothetical ethics question, it's as real as ethics questions get

what is real.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
no

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
....yes?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

rudatron is an alien and you know what this means boys

VIGILO CONFIDO
!!!

poo poo!!!

Heaven Spacey posted:

what is real.
we are real

we are the only things that exist

right here

just you and me

~ in this moment ~

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

*lobs a pipe bomb at rudatron using six civvies as human shields, vaporizing all of them*

insh'allah VIGILO CONFIDO

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i would kill op

and everything past that is too dumb to read

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
if aliens come at me with a bunch of words and an intro-to-ethics thought experiment this is my answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdhuAYlHVO0

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

*lobs a pipe bomb at rudatron using six civvies as human shields, vaporizing all of them*

insh'allah VIGILO CONFIDO

one time playing xcom 2 i blew up a shitload of civilians with a proximity mine because there were about six of them all standing on top of a pack of aliens. i then mind controlled a gatekeeper and turned the dead civs into zombies with its revive laser, and beat the rest of the aliens to death with them. thats more moral than THIS THRED

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Spire is actually a really powerful tool that is essentially required for implementing a truly moral society, and the fact that you think spite considerations are unworthy of this "ethical experiment" indicates a rather limited understanding of the strategic nature of morality.

By obstinately refusing to participate in this experiment, even though it may cost us our own lives, we reduce the incentive for immoral, otherwise unstoppable actors to continue their immoral actions.

In this case, working with evil validates that evil, and is in and of itself an immoral act.

Alien get out reeeeeeeeee

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
you already know that the experiment will only be performed exactly once, and there will be no consequences, other than the death of either/or yourself or the two others.

i even wrote that out in the original scenario

i know it looks like a standard trolley problem, but it's actually not, it's subtley different

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

wow did not read the thread but that icon is loving on point

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

you already know that the experiment will only be performed exactly once, and there will be no consequences, other than the death of either/or yourself or the two others.

i even wrote that out in the original scenario

i know it looks like a standard trolley problem, but it's actually not, it's subtley different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I hope to god whatever I ultimately did choose helped prevent the earth from joining an intergalactic federation that values garbage thought experiments over actual sociological research.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I hope to god whatever I ultimately did choose helped prevent the earth from joining an intergalactic federation that values garbage thought experiments over actual sociological research.
congrats, you chose "murder the aliens"

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
having looked at page two of this thread i have concluded that baloogan should be our ambassador to the stars

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tweet Me Balls posted:

it doesn't actually have anything to do with sociology, that's just a plot device

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it seems to me that most sociologists don't practice science these days anyhow

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

it doesn't actually have anything to do with sociology, that's just a plot device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsUscVoZcMQ

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rudatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Y_eu0W0uM

That makes it even worse, you sick bastard.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

rudatron posted:

you couldnt possibly know that if you were in that situation, nor would it matter. like, if the aliens said, "we're going to blow up planet earth if you gently caress with our levers." you dont know they're going to do that. you only know thats what they told you. even if you believed them, it doesnt change your right to self-preservation. they are the executioners, not you.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
You are a starving orphan in post-revolutionary Paris. You come across two other boys who have stolen a loaf of bread. Their backs are turned. A rock is nearby.

Do you A) slink off and die of malnutrition, or B) bludgeon the two waifs to death and claim your prize?

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

rudatron posted:

When does it give me time travel powers and psychic abilities

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
man, just assume they can make the assurances, and that you can trust them. they use magic-technology to make those guarantees to you, and you can believe them

also, this isn't about denying your right to self-preservation, picking 'right' is a valid choice

for example, i would like to say that i, personally, would go left, no use, left, swear, left

that is what i would like to believe about myself

but i know that, if i were actually in that situation, i would go right, use, <left>, swear, right

i have a lot of reasoning for either, but i'm torn

which is why i made this thread

because this loving thing refuses to leave me alone

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A man stands up, slowly looking upwards and raising a pointing finger at the sky.

"Nuke 'em"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

rudatron posted:

because this loving thing refuses to leave me alone

These hypotheticals are meaningless if you can assume omniscience on the part of anyone. It's like the other morality play: You can cure all disease or whatever if you murder one innocent child. Since the two actions have no reasonable causal connection, you cannot reasonably assume that carrying out the murder will produce the proffered result under natural circumstances, and therefore it cannot be justified. It isn't a thing that can ever happen, because no one can predict the future. I hate this fantastical crap.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
but the point isn't the probability of this actually happening

it's to expose how morality actually works, what is the underlying logic

which is why the hating on the aliens misses the point

so okay, be happy that you'll never be in that situation, take solace in that, don't worry about being too defensive, but what if it where the case and, critically, what does that mean?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
It means I'm no longer in this Universe and whatever I learn there has no relation to it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
but it's not about the universe

it's about you

and human beings in general

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

rudatron posted:

but the point isn't the probability of this actually happening

it's to expose how morality actually works, what is the underlying logic

which is why the hating on the aliens misses the point

so okay, be happy that you'll never be in that situation, take solace in that, don't worry about being too defensive, but what if it where the case and, critically, what does that mean?

turns out logic can also break down when not grounded in observable reality huh

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

hi OP after making the correct tl;dr decision of voting goku (yes i should have done im gay goku but shut up) i decided to read your dumb hypothetical because im retarded

the answer within the narrow window you're looking through for answers is that the part of you that is scared to die is a moron you should metaphorically shoot dead. you're going to loving die someday anyway, why the gently caress should you put dying of natural causes as an old man above the lives of two other people and the chance that maybe humanity will someday live up to your example? it's ultimately best to live for something than to die for it, but since the aliens aren't smart enough to make that an option dying for something beats dying for nothing which is what you're gonna get if you bitch out on this and kill the strangers

really though baloogan and everyone else going independence day are right though, the aliens in this are loving terrible and won't learn poo poo from this in the end because again, the real test is living for something at the cost of any comforts that get in the way, not just fuckin dying for something

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The only moral suicide is a murder suicide

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

the OP: jeez i could either live a long life knowing i basically murdered two people just like me to save my own skin or i could go down in history as a no poo poo Jesus figure, this is really loving with my head how can i choose??? i know, goons will help me make the right choice!!

goons: lol gently caress your aliens the right choice is to blow them up

OP: :saddowns:

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
Left, but what if they are Republicans

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
rudatron's brain is the aliens and it must be destroyed

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

last post because uh

you know the choice where you don't need that stupid lock switch to guarantee your vote to die to save those two other guys

and how i mentioned that you go down in history as a Jesus figure if you do that

i think you can't claim only good people would do that anymore

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I flip the switch back and forth really fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
thank for you providing a response

okay, let's accept that the aliens are evil, like i said, that doesn't matter

could you please talk a bit more about what you think about both the feature, and swearing the oath? What is your answer to all the relevant questions of your choice? sacrificing yourself or killing the strangers is only half of the question

• Locked thread