Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
options
left, use, <left>, swear, left
left, use, <left>, not swear, left
left, not use, left, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, left
right, use, <left>, swear, right
right, use, <left>, not swear, right
right, not use, right, swear, left
right, not use, right, swear, right
goku
im gay
im gay goku
View Results

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rudatron posted:

not necessarily, i just had to remove spite because that guy kept using it to try and talk around it, not that it matters

I can't parse this. And what you did was remove ethical and moral considerations from the equation and turn it into a simple value judgement. That's not the same as ethics or morality, which only actually matter when they diverge from out intrinsic value assignments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rudatron posted:

that's only half of the hypothetical - what do you think about the switch, and the oath? at their core, the idea of them?

I gave you as much as you earned. Meet me halfway and maybe I'll give you the rest.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you know we're just going to put him through torture and autopsy after you're done trying to reason with him right

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

i can't parse this

a good person is one who would choose to sacrifice themselves for others. by acting exactly the same as a person who has made that choice would, you can trick the aliens into believing you have made that choice. is the act enough? to an outside observer there is no difference, but the question still vexes you. christianity is an attempt to resolve that vexation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you know we're just going to put him through torture and autopsy after you're done trying to reason with him right

Of course, of course, wouldn't stand for anything less really at this point.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
No.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

rudatron posted:

why does it have to be believable to be a valid hypothetical? it's just as absurd as suggesting 'imagine magic exists', yet people read stories with wizards and such.

like i just don't get why you're so dead set on 'disproving' me or whatever. i don't really care whether or not this situation is likely before the heat death of the universe, that's not important to me

i also don't really care how clever you are, or think you are, because you can point out that, yes, the hypothetical can't actually happen, or whatever

that doesn't matter to me

what matters to me is the ethical problems raised by the conflict between self-preservation, agency and helping others, and i'm trying to use this experiment to bring that to light, in a way that's accessible and easy to talk about

which is why i've been kind of disappointed so far, because yeah shitposts are nice and fun, but so far no one else seems to care about that, in the way i do, they just want to talk about how the aliens are clearly evil or whatever

1. just to get it out of the way, i'm partly being ridiculous to make my posts halfway readable and partly to highlight how crazy this would sound coming out of someone actually present, which leads into my real point...

2. ...that you have missed - i believe that a person who goes along with your situation and treats it without intentionality is serving a bad example through the logic i provided. the correct answer is not actually to play along even with all the 'evidence' in the world that this is a fluke of bad luck because having that example of playing along with something so contrived just means, again, anyone who can sufficiently make a contrived situation look spontaneous can make anyone do whatever they wanted. believing that your hypothetical is likely to occur or makes sense to accept is a critical point of how i will decide to handle an ethical situation. for instance, if i believe i am on some copy of the truman show, i won't interpret the situation of an old lady begging for help to cross the street the same way i would if i believed i were not being watched constantly for reality TV. i might decide to do the same thing, but there will be entirely different motivations at work. similarly, if i believe it's impossible for something like this to arise spontaneously, and that even if somehow it did it wouldn't be ethically sound to treat it that way, i will not choose to do something that can be transferred over to how i'd behave in a more conventional accident.

3. you know what would be accessible and easy to talk about for all those things? hitchhiking. make a topic about the ethics of hitchhiking instead and i bet you'll have better luck

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay guys here is my new ethical dilemma:

You are posting in a thread. You can choose to probate everyone in the thread, including the OP, but you'd also have to probate yourself and a bunch of innocent posters as well. You could also choose only to probate yourself and close the thread, letting the OP get away with his crimes but letting the innocent posters go free.

What do you do?

Warning: Spoilers!
Trick question, there are no innocent posters

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

blowing up the internet would do the trick

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
You're a police officer. You pull up to a liquor store, where a robbery is in progress. Do you A) shoot everyone in the store to death, including the robber; or B) Disembowel yourself in the parking lot.

Please discuss your ethical reasoning in as much depth as possible.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

oh also "are you a good person?" is kind of inflammatory so if you're disappointed by the response having a decidedly antagonistic tone you have no one to blame but yourself

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

LegoPirateNinja posted:

You're a police officer. You pull up to a liquor store, where a robbery is in progress. Do you A) shoot everyone in the store to death, including the robber; or B) Disembowel yourself in the parking lot.

Please discuss your ethical reasoning in as much depth as possible.
Being a cop, disemboweling yourself is nearly always the ethical choice. We can't say for certain it is in this case though, as we do not know whether there are more cops in the store.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

A and then eat the corpses and then B.

Reasoning: thread consensus

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

A and then eat the corpses and then B.

Reasoning: thread consensus

If you don't disembowel yourself slowly while chowing down on the bits that you've removed, you've missed a trick.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm objectively the best person.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It seems this thread is in the wrong forum. Were I to have access to the switch in pod #1 I'd ensure this thread ended up in the right forum, the gas chamber, along with the OP.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay guys here is my new ethical dilemma:

You are posting in a thread. You can choose to probate everyone in the thread, including the OP, but you'd also have to probate yourself and a bunch of innocent posters as well. You could also choose only to probate yourself and close the thread, letting the OP get away with his crimes but letting the innocent posters go free.

What do you do?

Warning: Spoilers!
Trick question, there are no innocent posters

Give everyone that's posted in C spam in the past 48 hours a sixer

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i'm a goon person

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Has anyone ITT considered killing all of the aliens by putting them in their own stupid murderpods?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

There is no such thing as ethical choice under experimentation.

Resistance is the only rational choice.

Middle position + middle finger.

Do not go quietly.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The enders game solution works pretty well imop

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Has anyone ITT considered killing all of the aliens by putting them in their own stupid murderpods?

the aliens are rear end in a top hat enough to put emotion blocking chips in sentient brains so they probably are rear end in a top hat enough to keep everyone locked in stasis pods that prevent freedom of movement but not 'rational' communication that's easily monitored. if they aren't though it'd be much faster to just figure out a way to shank them or snatch away one of their weapons and start blasting

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

deadgoon posted:

christianity is an attempt to resolve that vexation.
but it doesn't actually do that though
oh don't give me that poo poo, you're doing what you're doing because you want to 'show me up', you enjoy being a dick, if were you purely committed to 'pointing out the issues' you would have simply made this point from the start

i also already constructed the situation such that it is believable if it were to happen, right in front of you, that you think it's highly unlikely given that it has not happened is irrelevant - if you are there, regardless of how unlikely it is to happen, there should be a bar of evidence such that i can prove it did happen, right in front of you, so long as the probability of this event occurring is non-zero (you explicitly rejected this when i brought it up, remember?)

hitchhiking doesn't work because it doesn't have the agency dilemma - it's the switch & the oath that matters to me most. but you're correct that a situation where you're placed into it by 'nature' rather than something with intent dodges the 'kill the aliens' thing.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

rudatron posted:

oh don't give me that poo poo, you're doing what you're doing because you want to 'show me up', you enjoy being a dick, if were you purely committed to 'pointing out the issues' you would have simply made this point from the start

i also already constructed the situation such that it is believable if it were to happen, right in front of you, that you think it's highly unlikely given that it has not happened is irrelevant - if you are there, regardless of how unlikely it is to happen, there should be a bar of evidence such that i can prove it did happen, right in front of you, so long as the probability of this event occurring is non-zero (you explicitly rejected this when i brought it up, remember?)

hitchhiking doesn't work because it doesn't have the agency dilemma - it's the switch & the oath that matters to me most. but you're correct that a situation where you're placed into it by 'nature' rather than something with intent dodges the 'kill the aliens' thing.

bad philosophy is fun to dunk on. but the fact is that even if i am right there and it's happening right in front of me right this second my arguments stand, i still have a reason not to act as if it is happening by chance and instead as the result of something worth resisting entirely no matter the evidence because i do not believe it is moral to act on it otherwise. i don't see what's hard to get about evidence not actually mattering when i feel i have an ethical obligation to discount all evidence for a case that feels contrived still arising randomly because my example by not doing so will contribute to a worse world, not a better one

if you want agency dilemmas, how about the hippocratic oath? there might be something to a discussion of whether it really makes doctors more ethical or not. if you need both the oath and the switch poo poo together, you might discuss community service vs. more traditional prison sentences for handling various crimes.

e: actually, thinking about it there is no normal, everyday way to replicate your switch. laws do not force ethical choice within society's rules, they just serve as a guarantee of punishment if you break society's rules, whereas your switch forcibly removes agency from someone after they agree to do so. it's got more in common with involuntary committal to a mental hospital, which is kind of hosed up in a way

p.s. no matter how much of a dick you may feel i'm being i'm still not the one who would remove your saltiness in the effort to help you think and act rationally

Ignatius M. Meen has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Dec 13, 2016

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

but it doesn't actually do that though

neither does the ideology you are pushing.

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
Isn't your whole dilemma the trolley problem but you're on one of the tracks?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Qwazes posted:

Isn't your whole dilemma the trolley problem but you're on one of the tracks?

yes, also aliens put you on the tracks

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
that's half of the dilemma

but i couldn't think of a good way to include the switch (not the lever, the switch) & oath into the trolley problem

deadgoon posted:

neither does the ideology you are pushing.
which ideology is that

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

e: actually, thinking about it there is no normal, everyday way to replicate your switch. laws do not force ethical choice within society's rules, they just serve as a guarantee of punishment if you break society's rules, whereas your switch forcibly removes agency from someone after they agree to do so. it's got more in common with involuntary committal to a mental hospital, which is kind of hosed up in a way
do you see the dilemma now?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The switch scenario seems pretty complicated, so as long as no one I know is involved I'm okay just not messing with it, however many people that kills.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So I'm a masochistic dipshit and actually went back and read the thread and Ignatius is 100% right that the most moral option is to tell Rudatron's idiot hypothetical to go gently caress itself and the more contrived he tries to make it the more moral it is to resist against it.

Also if your knock-off trolley problem requires you to lobotomize the participants in order to get the answer you're fishing for you should have already realized your hypothetical is hot garbage, but whelp.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Who What Now posted:

So I'm a masochistic dipshit and actually went back and read the thread and Ignatius is 100% right that the most moral option is to tell Rudatron's idiot hypothetical to go gently caress itself and the more contrived he tries to make it the more moral it is to resist against it.

Also if your knock-off trolley problem requires you to lobotomize the participants in order to get the answer you're fishing for you should have already realized your hypothetical is hot garbage, but whelp.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

rudatron posted:

there is no dilemma, i said it was kinda hosed up to include for a reason

let me pose a hypothetical situation: a man approaches you on the street and claims that he can ensure you will never make another ethical mistake in your life again; all you have to do is sign a consent form and he will implant a chip in your brain that will force you to act correctly for the rest of your life. he will not tell you how it works or indicate at all what kind of ethical system is used, and he refuses to produce results of tests he claims are unethical in one way or another, but he will happily show you things like other volunteers not hesitating to help an old lady cross the street or give a few bucks to homeless people and so on. is this really an ethical thing for him to offer you? if yes, why? if no, is it starting to make sense why the switch is equally unjustifiable?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

I still don't. How is the conscious and unanimous choice to remove a future choice morally deficient?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
jesus gently caress, i'm not telling you people what the right choice is, i am asking for well laid out reasoning as to what you think, and why you think that. talking about 'resisting' is to assume i'm trying to force you to make a specific choice, i'm not

every contrivance i'm throwing in is to try and get you to make a choice, and take loving responsibility for that choice, yet you essentially keep shirking that responsibility, by shoving the blame onto me

i don't care how terrible you think the situation is, that you're having to make a choice, i don't care what you think about me, those pieces of information are not relevant to me, they do not stir a single emotion

the information i'm 'fishing' for is your inner loving philosophy, to your own loving life, which you are refusing to provide or elaborate on, on some misguided idea that by doing so, that you're a loving edgy mother fucker, too far about any of that poo poo to actually have to actually take a stand

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

there is no dilemma, i said it was kinda hosed up to include for a reason

let me pose a hypothetical situation: a man approaches you on the street and claims that he can ensure you will never make another ethical mistake in your life again; all you have to do is sign a consent form and he will implant a chip in your brain that will force you to act correctly for the rest of your life. he will not tell you how it works or indicate at all what kind of ethical system is used, and he refuses to produce results of tests he claims are unethical in one way or another, but he will happily show you things like other volunteers not hesitating to help an old lady cross the street or give a few bucks to homeless people and so on. is this really an ethical thing for him to offer you? if yes, why? if no, is it starting to make sense why the switch is equally unjustifiable?
point in case: this steaming pile - you're clearly presenting a valid answer to the problem of my 'switch', but you're too far up your own smug rear end in a top hat to frame it in any other way than as a hostile jab at me

demonstrating that you have no loving clue what i've been trying to ask of you

you piece of poo poo

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

rudatron posted:

jesus gently caress, i'm not telling you people what the right choice is, i am asking for well laid out reasoning as to what you think, and why you think that. talking about 'resisting' is to assume i'm trying to force you to make a specific choice, i'm not

every contrivance i'm throwing in is to try and get you to make a choice, and take loving responsibility for that choice, yet you essentially keep shirking that responsibility, by shoving the blame onto me

i don't care how terrible you think the situation is, that you're having to make a choice, i don't care what you think about me, those pieces of information are not relevant to me, they do not stir a single emotion

the information i'm 'fishing' for is your inner loving philosophy, to your own loving life, which you are refusing to provide or elaborate on, on some misguided idea that by doing so, that you're a loving edgy mother fucker, too far about any of that poo poo to actually have to actually take a stand

but we are telling you exactly what we think. we would choose to resist the situation instead of fall into the choices the situation presents to us because none of them satisfy our ethical code :confused:

maybe if you want our philosophy you should just ask us directly?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i'm have been nothing but nice, reasonable and agreeable, and i have been met by open hostility and contempt

from the bottom of my heart, take your edgy poo poo and shove it up your prolapsed rear end in a top hat

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

perhaps if you constructed the problem in the form of acts of nature instead of external actors and factors the participant can do practically anything with there would be an actual dilemma

but aliens can't think outside the box so this will go over you're head so continue :qq: sobbing for the last minutes of your life before you are processed

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

People have told you what their moral philosophies were, and you didn't like those answers because they weren't one of the ones you were expecting or would have chosen for yourself. So you kept trying to change the scenario in order to get one of the two answers you wanted.

It's like a toddler that just learned a card trick and is trying to show it to you, but every time you pick a card he says "no, not that one, pick another one". And he keeps doing that over and over and over again until you pick the marked card or you tell the kid to go bother his mom because daddy just wants to drink his beer and watch the game in peace you and goddamnit Barbara I told you not to get him that loving magicians kit for Christmas and this is exactly why!

Edit:

lmao:

rudatron posted:

i don't care how terrible you think the situation is, (...), i don't care what you think about me, those pieces of information are not relevant to me, they do not stir a single emotion

rudatron posted:

but you're too far up your own smug rear end in a top hat to frame it in any other way than as a hostile jab at me

(...)

you piece of poo poo

rudatron posted:

from the bottom of my heart, take your edgy poo poo and shove it up your prolapsed rear end in a top hat

Yeah, not a single emotion stirred at all. :jerkbag:

Who What Now has issued a correction as of 05:08 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

perhaps if you constructed the problem in the form of acts of nature instead of external actors and factors the participant can do practically anything with there would be an actual dilemma
i already did that, itt, and the response i got was that the situation was too 'improbable' and therefore no answer had to be provided. do you remember that?

Who What Now posted:

People have told you what their moral philosophies were,
no, what they told me was they didn't like having to provide an answer with the confines of the problem

imagine if every trolley problem was answered with 'i wave my magic wand and nothing bad happens, i get everything i want'.'what you mean i don't have that choice? gently caress you shitlord'.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread