Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Niwrad posted:

The fact House of Cards gets so many nominations shows that voters are not watching much outside of a handful of popular shows.

Really? Shows like The Handmaid's Tale, Atlanta, Master of None, and Feud are all on there too among the more conspicuous nominees.

Also Carrie Coon got nominated for Fargo, which was a better performance and Ann Dowd was nominated for Handmaid's Tale (she crushes it in everything so whatever she got nominated for is fine by me).

If you're just mad about the lack of Theroux's penis that's understandable. I'm sure it's magnificent and maybe has a Circle Jerks logo tattooed on it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you just say Carrie Coon's performance in Fargo was better than her performance in Leftovers

WHATS THE SHORTCUT FOR THAT SMILIE WHERE THE FROG SAYS GET OUT

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

Did you just say Carrie Coon's performance in Fargo was better than her performance in Leftovers

WHATS THE SHORTCUT FOR THAT SMILIE WHERE THE FROG SAYS GET OUT

She got to do more with less in Fargo, probably because it was a shorter series and more planned out than The Leftovers which left her more room to do nuanced stuff within those plans, which she is entirely capable of doing and is more impressive than responding to an evolving narrative (*).

Just my opinion (and I guess the nomination committee but who knows what their specific rationale was).

(*) I'm not saying she didn't do a great job in The Leftovers too, I'm just saying her performance in Fargo was more impressive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

The fact House of Cards gets so many nominations shows that voters are not watching much outside of a handful of popular shows.

I dunno if it speaks to what they've been watching or severe brain damage, but that show has fallen off a cliff since the end of season 3. It used to be great, but now it's loving unwatchable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

She got to do more with less in Fargo, probably because it was a shorter series and more planned out than The Leftovers which left her more room to do nuanced stuff within those plans, which she is entirely capable of doing and is more impressive than responding to an evolving narrative (*).

Just my opinion (and I guess the nomination committee but who knows what their specific rationale was).

(*) I'm not saying she didn't do a great job in The Leftovers too, I'm just saying her performance in Fargo was more impressive.

Which specific scenes would you point to as being more impressive? Like, she isn't exactly given very much to do. I don't really understand any of what you're saying about 'plans' and 'responding to an evolving narrative' either. It's as if you think Leftovers is improvised.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

It's as if you think Leftovers is improvised.

Far from it, but The Leftovers was a multi-season show that rebooted after the first season as opposed to the short and mostly self-contained season of Fargo she's been nominated for.

Escobarbarian posted:

Which specific scenes would you point to as being more impressive?

The entire second to last episode of Fargo. It was one of those "for your consideration" things for Coon, much like the court room episode of Better Call Saul was a FYC for Michael McKean (who somehow did not get nominated!).

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 13, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Really? Shows like The Handmaid's Tale, Atlanta, Master of None, and Feud are all on there too among the more conspicuous nominees.

Also Carrie Coon got nominated for Fargo, which was a better performance and Ann Dowd was nominated for Handmaid's Tale (she crushes it in everything so whatever she got nominated for is fine by me).

If you're just mad about the lack of Theroux's penis that's understandable. I'm sure it's magnificent and maybe has a Circle Jerks logo tattooed on it somewhere.

I'd consider shows like the Handsmaids Tale, Atlanta, and Master of None popular. They got a boatload of media attention. The comedy category is always weird because a lot of new ones have been popping up and the category was barren a few years back.

House of Cards has been terrible for a few years now and rakes in the nominations. Liev Schrieber, Kevin Spacey, and Robin Wright are still getting their annual nominations for some reason. And I like Stranger Things and Westworld a lot. But it's not a better drama than the Leftovers. Evan Rachel Wood did not have a better performance this year than Carrie Coon. And how The Americans snuck into best writing for a pretty bad season of the show is beyond me.

I guess my problem with the Emmys is that if your show doesn't have a great first season with critical acclaim, you're hosed. The voters are not coming back. The only exception I can think of is Friday Night Lights when it just became embarrassing at one point.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They repeatedly ignored The Wire as well

The problem is that people take the Emmys seriously in the first place, when you shouldn't because its incredibly obvious that they aren't a good judge of quality. Same with the Oscars. Just ignore all the hype and rely on your own judgement.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this Sepinwall quote, I think, goes a long way towards explaining why so many (including myself, 100%) care about the emmys/awards shows in general despite knowing they're silly and invalid:

quote:

I try not to get too worked up about the Emmys. Some of the greatest shows and performances in TV history never won Emmys. Jackie Gleason never did for Ralph Kramden, or Jason Alexander for George Costanza, Martin Sheen for President Bartlet, Amy Poehler for Leslie Knope, or The Wire for anything. But the Emmys are also the closest thing TV has to a historical record, and if some TV fan decades from now (assuming TV still exists in a recognizable form by then) looks back to the nominees and winners of any particular year or decade, it would be nice for them to see what was truly great about TV at that time, rather than what was picked because voters weren’t paying attention, or were voting in a bloc, or were occasionally distracted by shiny new things.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sepinwall is way off here. The historical record is going to be the things that people are still buzzing about years after they ended, not the Emmys, and the Emmys have no effect on that anyway.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

Sepinwall is way off here. The historical record is going to be the things that people are still buzzing about years after they ended, not the Emmys, and the Emmys have no effect on that anyway.

I think it's both. There are the occasional show such as The Wire that gets long-term praise despite Emmy voters not liking it. But I also think Emmy snubs can hurt people who create great stuff and are ignored. A nomination for The Leftovers could have gotten more people to talk about the show and try it out. Without it, maybe it just skirts into cult status for a small group of people who stuck with it.

I don't even care about Leftovers being left off as much as House of Cards being nominated because it turned into such a terrible show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imo the worst Emmy nom this year is fuckin' Barb from Stranger Things

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

An example of a show the Emmys helped is Transparent. Would Amazon have kept going with it if it didn't win or get nominated for some awards? It was a tiny show on Amazon that few people had heard of before it started winning awards.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Niwrad posted:

An example of a show the Emmys helped is Transparent. Would Amazon have kept going with it if it didn't win or get nominated for some awards? It was a tiny show on Amazon that few people had heard of before it started winning awards.

I wouldn''t exactly say it helped. That show had a great first season, then it slowly turned into a dumpster fire.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

And people complain about the quality of front page content these day. Was that kid lowtax's nephew or something?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Escobarbarian posted:

imo the worst Emmy nom this year is fuckin' Barb from Stranger Things

Wait, that really happened? NFW

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Niwrad posted:

House of Cards has been terrible for a few years now and rakes in the nominations. Liev Schrieber, Kevin Spacey, and Robin Wright are still getting their annual nominations for some reason.

It makes the nomination committee members feel politically responsible and hip to streaming shows so it's a safe bet for them.

I disagree with Sepinwall's quote entirely. TV absolutely does have a historical record now and that is streaming services not Emmy awards. Ironically I think more people in the future will look at Sepinwall's books and reviews before they give a poo poo about Emmys.

Shitload of Emmys.

I think about classic shows I love and never once did I think "well, I'm interested in The Six Million Dollar Man, but it never won an Emmy so maybe I should avoid it" nor did I start watching Kojak obsessively because Telly Savalas won a shitload of Emmys. Finally, if people in the future won't be watching The Wire because it didn't win any Emmys, then please bring on the coming apocalypse sooner than later.

Doesn't give a poo poo about Emmys.

I think The Leftovers will have legs in the future too. Coon and Dowd's performances transcend dumb award shows. It's also an easier (and much more rewarding) show to binge than LOST. Would Emmy noms have given it a bump (like Niward pointed out how noms helped Transparent)? Yes, but it's not disastrous, maybe just disappointing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

InfiniteZero posted:

Shitload of Emmys.

Who loves ya, baby? The friggin' Television Academy, that's who!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

JethroMcB posted:

When I was in middle school I would pretend to be him and prank call The Players Club International.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

And people complain about the quality of front page content these day. Was that kid lowtax's nephew or something?

You're being ironic right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

JethroMcB posted:

He's Jennifer Aniston's (Justin Theroux's wife) godfather, so he's only two degrees removed from The Leftovers.

Coincidence?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

UmOk posted:

You're being ironic right?

I don't even know anymore

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

Considering fargo and leftovers are on different categories, all of this is irrelevant. Coon didn't get snubbed because they liked her on Fargo more. She got snubbed because they liked Robin Wright more. I'd love to see you defend that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wouldn''t exactly say it helped. That show had a great first season, then it slowly turned into a dumpster fire.

It was always garbage, it was a Cargo Cult HBO show that even Jeffrey Tambor couldn't save

Based on the previews it looks like a decent chunk of the cast will be in HBO's Room 104

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Transparent owns completely, y'all are nuts

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

joepinetree posted:

I'd love to see you defend that.

We were subjectively discussing her performances, not the motivations or actions of the Emmy nominations committee.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

In light of recent events, I had no idea this was a real thing and not something created for the show:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Klungar posted:

In light of recent events, I had no idea this was a real thing and not something created for the show:

I wish Trump had a twin.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Burned through this over the last week. Overall I like it, but have mixed feelings. I had no clue about the semi-reboot and was stunned by it, and thought it was a welcome change after the fairly humourless first season. Nora and Matt are excellent characters.

I mostly don't care for Kevin's magic hotel world, although the well sequence was affecting. It doesn't feel surreal, and it's too literal-minded. Probably unfair in that respect that I'm currently watching Twin Peaks, but yeah. I felt the same way about The Sopranos. I also felt Kevin's psychotic breakdown turning out to be supernatural was a letdown, mainly because I was sympathizing with it as a breakdown.

The finale was fantastic. Laurie and Tom's anti-cult work was a great episode.

So is it canon that Kevin stopped the flood or what?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

snoremac posted:

To me it was clear by the end there never was a flood, and never was going to be. It was just easier to believe the world was ending than to continue living in it.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 11, 2017

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

UmOk posted:

I wish Trump had a twin.
There was a project set up by Obama during the transition that instituted this policy - a secret change to a secret policy, far below any radar we have access to. There is a device - actually just a single IC, battery and SIM card with one contact and one password protected memo, implanted in each of Trump’s children. To launch any nuclear weapon (or other similarly categorized “high loss strikes”), the president has to remove one of the cards to remotely disable a decentralized safety lock.

The removal process is not bloody like portrayed in various stories. Call the number, enter a password, the device decrypts the memo. If it succeeds, it contracts around the aorta within the collateral volunteer and they die. The device will text a 40-byte hex value encrypted by a key kept in the “nuclear football” (an iPhone 5S held by a revolving staff, never actually the guy with the briefcase thing). That sets off the strike by remotely authorizing it.

The whole process takes about 20 seconds and is fully automated after the strike is ordered, and the phone number is called. Enter the password and is Tiffany is gone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

snoremac posted:

I also felt Kevin's psychotic breakdown turning out to be supernatural was a letdown, mainly because I was sympathizing with it as a breakdown.
Which breakdown? Kevin had several, and I don't think there was anything 100% confirmed supernatural about any of them, except when he sees his dad tripping balls in the hotel TV. And maybe him coming back to life after essentially dying.

Also, just because some supernatural stuff may have occurred doesn't mean that Kevin isn't completely nuts and those "breakdowns" weren't the markings of a legit insane guy.

snoremac posted:

Lord Krangdar posted:

To me it was clear by the end there never was a flood, and never was going to be. It was just easier to believe the world was ending than to continue living in it.

Basically what this poster said.

There was no flood, the world didn't end, nobody else disappeared. The world moved on and seems to be healing from what we've seen of future Australia and the way Kevin says "Not so much" when Nora asks him if they still call Jarden "Miracle."

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 11, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The other possibility being that Kevin and Patty sacrificed Hotel World and saved Real World and now Kevin and others like him are mortal

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

snoremac posted:

Burned through this over the last week. Overall I like it, but have mixed feelings. I had no clue about the semi-reboot and was stunned by it, and thought it was a welcome change after the fairly humourless first season. Nora and Matt are excellent characters.

I feel like this show is a bad one to binge watch. Each season feels like it needs at least a couple months to sink in.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

snoremac posted:

I mostly don't care for Kevin's magic hotel world, although the well sequence was affecting. It doesn't feel surreal, and it's too literal-minded. Probably unfair in that respect that I'm currently watching Twin Peaks, but yeah. I felt the same way about The Sopranos. I also felt Kevin's psychotic breakdown turning out to be supernatural was a letdown, mainly because I was sympathizing with it as a breakdown.

The finale was fantastic. Laurie and Tom's anti-cult work was a great episode.

Semi-reboot?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Niwrad posted:

I feel like this show is a bad one to binge watch. Each season feels like it needs at least a couple months to sink in.

Agreed, watching as it aired was perfection.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

UmOk posted:

Semi-reboot?
Seasons 2 & 3 are kind of a different show than season 1.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Last Chance posted:

Which breakdown? Kevin had several, and I don't think there was anything 100% confirmed supernatural about any of them, except when he sees his dad tripping balls in the hotel TV. And maybe him coming back to life after essentially dying.

Also, just because some supernatural stuff may have occurred doesn't mean that Kevin isn't completely nuts and those "breakdowns" weren't the markings of a legit insane guy.
True. Him seeing the Muslim girl as Evie was clearly his own delusion. As someone who appreciated the character more as someone with a serious mental health issue I was just hating everyone towards the end because they were effectively asking him to suicide over Kevin Snr's ridiculous rain dance fantasy, and this wasn't portrayed as a potentially insane thing to be doing beyond Laurie's meagre protests.

By semi-reboot I meant the setting change in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

snoremac posted:

True. Him seeing the Muslim girl as Evie was clearly his own delusion. As someone who appreciated the character more as someone with a serious mental health issue I was just hating everyone towards the end because they were effectively asking him to suicide over Kevin Snr's ridiculous rain dance fantasy, and this wasn't portrayed as a potentially insane thing to be doing beyond Laurie's meagre protests.

By semi-reboot I meant the setting change in season 2.

The Great Departure unhinged everyone for a little while, a lot of people went crazy and it almost caused the end of the world

• Locked thread