Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bonk posted:

I enjoyed the finale and I have a degree in film & television writing and several years of industry job experience, so :lol: at thinking education applies to something that's completely a matter of opinion and personal taste.

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores. 

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

oliwan posted:

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores. 

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story. 

It may not do any of the things you list, but what matters to you may not matter to others. I enjoyed the finale but I'm not sure I could tell you why, especially this many years after watching it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't have to be a subtextual masterpiece to be good. Not everything can be Mad Men. It provided good closure for characters I had grown to love. That's it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

oliwan posted:

Easy. Jack did a superman punch. Done.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I (still) think LOST was loving incredible and I will defend it a lot, even Season 6. The beginning of Season 3 really is poo poo though.

Also nothing beats S6 spoilers the MIB as Locke constantly giving speeches and mocking everyone. I loved the taunting speech he gave Ben after he revealed himself as the MIB. Straight up mocking the dude who's skin he's wearing and also reminding Ben that he's a cold-blooded murderer and not "the Good Guys" like he's been saying the entire show.

I also still wonder if (more S6 spoilers) the MIB was right when he was talking to Sawyer and that nothing bad would actually happen if he left the Island. When you get the whole origin story it's really hard not to feel like MIB was right and Jacob really was a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Basically if you focused on the Island being magic and wanting to know how it "really worked" you were in for a bad time but if you read the whole thing as a big philosophical debate about the nature of good and evil (also the benefits and follies of blind faith) set in a sci-fi/fantasy setting it was Real Good.

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

I know everyone gushes over that scene but I really didn't like it. I get that it's all supposed to be a metaphor but for some reason the whole "you have to sing karaoke this time" gimmick didn't sit right with me. I don't have any rational basis for disliking it, I just don't. Maybe because it felt like it was too easy for Kevin?

Anyway, the new season starts on Sunday right?

oliwan posted:

Finale spoilers obviously.

Jack finally became the Man of Faith and accepted his destiny...ironically by seeing physical evidence. Jack dies and actually the only right choice to be the new Jacob gets picked (i.e. Hurley, the nice dude who is the only one who won't try and turn it into another Epic Struggle and won't gently caress it up). Ben got a chance to redeem his evil deeds in the future working with Hurley. The not-horrible people all got to live and have a second chance. Claire resolved her abandonment arc.

If you were looking for some grand cosmic meaning or the answers to mysteries that were mostly made up by fans it wasn't there, but every character except maybe Kate had a satisfying end to their stories.

The food for thought I thought it offered was "don't be so rigid in your convictions, because you might be wrong." It's a recurring theme throughout the show that's cropped up a number of times. Also that the only people who are capable of wielding power are the ones who absolutely do not want to have it. We also see that the real message is that everyone (except apparently Mr. Eko) deserves a second chance. It's the whole point of the sideways universe.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 13, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished S2E5 and the actress who is in charge of the stocks was exceptionally terrible at acting, it stood out very badly. I'm not sure why they went with the take that they did

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If the minimum bar for a good TV show is that the show has to "change you in some way" as the viewer, then I come bearing bad news about the entire medium.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If the minimum bar for a good TV show is that the show has to "change you in some way" as the viewer, then I come bearing bad news about the entire medium.

leftovers changed me into somewhat gay for the main actor :swoon:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

leftovers changed me into somewhat gay for the main actor :swoon:

His COCK is huge. Substantial weight on that piece.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Season 1 had Carrie Coon getting naked and Season 2 had Justin Theroux getting naked.

Who is getting naked in Season 3? This is important and should probably be spoiled so we can all properly prepare ahead of time.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Season 1 had Carrie Coon getting naked and Season 2 had Justin Theroux getting naked.

Who is getting naked in Season 3? This is important and should probably be spoiled so we can all properly prepare ahead of time.

Me while I watch

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Thought it was Ecclescake that got his cock out last season? Must have missed Justin Theroux getting his out. Something to look forward to on the re-watch.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

It's ginormous.

!!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Lemme see that HOG! Theroux, release the snake!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Theroux's cock isn't that big and I have a PhD in dick size so

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Theroux's cock isn't that big and I have a PhD in dick size so

Pretty huge Dick. Nice

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

oliwan posted:

On a more serious note, as much as I'd attempt to defend the finale, I really can't because I watched it when it was first broadcast and its a little difficult for me to form an argument based on something I haven't seen in 7 years. But it does break my heart a little when people write off the whole show based on that episode (or even final season) where the is just so much good stuff in there. You've got a really rich cast of characters who are fleshed out through these stories that take place in individual episodes, but these stories go forwards and backwards in time and you see them developing and learning and changing relationships with people and its just hard not to get swept up in the whole thing.

Maybe a lot of people are okay with just saying "the finale sucked, the show is poo poo" and leaving it at that, but I'm in the camp that remembers and loves the last few minutes of Locke's first episode, or the scene where they launched the raft and cut out all sound except for the music, or the way they perfectly concluded Richard's character with one single line, or the whole of "The Constant". I even still fondly remember the last ten or so minutes of the finale with Jack walking through the jungle.

So yeah, thats why I still love Lost.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

oliwan posted:

I didn't say it was "great", I said I enjoyed it. My main gripe was flaunting your only tangentially-related education as if it makes personal opinion hold more weight, especially with me having a different opinion and a more directly related career. I actually did have major issues with the pacing of S6 in general (the misdirection of the flashes being caused by Jughead instead of being completely unrelated, the Temple plot slowing everything way down, the 'sideways' world unnecessarily padding itself out when it could've been compressed entirely into the finale or maybe one scene per episode). The format of the season was poorly planned and executed, despite having some great content and scenes spread throughout.

The finale itself being the culmination of all the stories they had been building was satisfying to me on both a plot and especially character level. The characters completed their arcs for the most part, their reconnecting and recognizing each other was genuinely heartfelt in many scenes (Juliet/Sawyer especially), and while the magic buttplug device was a bit goofy from a production standpoint, the island stuff was all brought full circle too. So yeah, not great, but satisfying to me. Especially since I was a huge contributor to theory threads here and had several of my theories confirmed by the show over the years, but more because I was invested in the characters more than the plot by the end.

Looking forward to The Leftovers starting back up though, because it'd be cool to have more than Lost and dick chat here.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Someone should make a thread for The Leftovers so we can keep it out of this LOST thread.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

My favorite scene is Patti and Kevin in the well. The end of the Patti story arc. You finally see who Patti really is. Turned a two season villain into someone you feel sorry for in a couple minutes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

clown shoes posted:

Someone should make a thread for The Leftovers so we can keep it out of this LOST thread.

Eh, Leftovers is basically a more refined, better version of Lost, so it's natural there would be chat before the season starts.

Midway through Season 2, I appreciate both seasons in different ways now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Niwrad posted:

My favorite scene is Patti and Kevin in the well. The end of the Patti story arc. You finally see who Patti really is. Turned a two season villain into someone you feel sorry for in a couple minutes.

I genuinely forget what the end of her story was, I only watched the episode once. Mind refreshing my memory?

Also, are we supposed to know anything about Bridge Guy?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I loved Lost, even at the end (thought the last season was weaker, though), but I never cared about the themes the way I do with Leftovers. I mainly liked Lost because it was audacious and ambiguous. Leftovers is audacious, ambiguous, and affecting.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I genuinely forget what the end of her story was, I only watched the episode once. Mind refreshing my memory?

She won more than enough money on Jeopardy to leave her abusive husband and start over, but she stayed with him anyway.

When I re-watched this scene recently I wondered whether the story was her way of telling Kevin to finally finish her off or he would regret it, the way she regretted not leaving Neil.

Also, are we supposed to know anything about Bridge Guy?

He may be the Australian man who claimed to have died and come back from the other side, as mentioned a couple times in background dialogue.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 14, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lost is bad

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Professor Shark posted:

Eh, Leftovers is basically a more refined, better version of Lost, so it's natural there would be chat before the season starts.

Midway through Season 2, I appreciate both seasons in different ways now.

Agreed. The Leftovers is both an apology for Lost and a remake as handled by a channel like HBO.

Ironically, HBO would have probably blew it harder than ABC did if Lost premiered on HBO in 2004.

Basically, I wish Lost came out in 2017 on a good channel but if it wasn't for Lost and the lessons that were learned from it, TV would not be as good as it is now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, is Lost the reason that people thought there was a recorder in Chau's cigarette when saw Mike when he left the DA's office in season 5 of Breaking Bad?

Is it the reason for "Mike's Voice"?

Because if so, gently caress Lost. :colbert:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

Agreed. The Leftovers is both an apology for Lost and a remake as handled by a channel like HBO.

Ironically, HBO would have probably blew it harder than ABC did if Lost premiered on HBO in 2004.

Basically, I wish Lost came out in 2017 on a good channel but if it wasn't for Lost and the lessons that were learned from it, TV would not be as good as it is now.

Oh please

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Back in 2004, HBO had Carnivale, which was pretty drat good at handling a myth arc. (And pretty drat good besides).

I don't think they'd have dropped the ball on it -- they were basically spinning gold during the middle of that decade. The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Rome, The Wire. It was a good time to be a subscriber.

Over the last few years, the only dramas I've loved were Treme and The Leftovers. The comedy section is pretty good though.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
What happened to Carnivale? HBO was not handling serial mystery shows well at that time. Carnivale is the perfect example. It had freedom for the time it was on but ultimately the network didn't "get it".

Just like The Leftovers would have never made it past the first season with the ratings it had.

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 14, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Daniel Knauf was offered the same deal The Leftovers was offered -- a third season to finish the show off. He refused. Hence the show being largely unresolved.

Besides which, Carnivale was way more expensive to film than The Leftovers ever was, particularly with those lovely Australian tax break dollars being pumped into this show's third season.

Perhaps HBO management didn't "get" Carnivale, and perhaps they don't get this one. It's not like their drama department hasn't been floundering for a while. But it was in pretty good drat shape ten years ago, tbh, and with new projects by David Milch and David Simon on the horizon, it's not like I don't have hope for the channel's future.

Or, to bring things closer to the topic at hand, the upcoming season, which I'm pretty drat excited for.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I've not yet watched Carnivale but I wonder if some of those shows from that era didn't get a longer extension because of time slots. Nowadays almost any show, especially on HBO, is on demand so people can watch when they want. I would love to see a subscription service like HBO seek feedback directly from their subscribers. I know they watch ratings but an end of year "which shows should we keep" type survey for all subscribers could probably benefit them. Admittedly I know next to nothing about how TV channels are wrong so it is possible they already so something similar or it's a stupid idea.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Carnivale was also loving bizarre and occasionally extremely uncomfortable to watch, and I say that as someone who loved Carnivale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tomahawk posted:

What happened to Carnivale? HBO was not handling serial mystery shows well at that time. Carnivale is the perfect example. It had freedom for the time it was on but ultimately the network didn't "get it".

Just like The Leftovers would have never made it past the first season with the ratings it had.

Carnivale was one of the most expensive shows they made at the time and they were promoting it everywhere. Daniel Knauf said the execs were expecting the ratings to blow away The Sopranos and it got nowhere near that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

International Assassin is so drat good, everything about it is awesome

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

You figure out who she really is. She married an abusive man who she was too afraid to leave even when she had the means to. She wasn't evil, she was just horribly abused. That strong persona she put on just masked the fact she was a scared, mentally broken woman who felt belittled.

Lord Krangdar posted:

She won more than enough money on Jeopardy to leave her abusive husband and start over, but she stayed with him anyway.

When I re-watched this scene recently I wondered whether the story was her way of telling Kevin to finally finish her off or he would regret it, the way she regretted not leaving Neil..

I thought that too. I think the scene can work both ways.

Patti was also asking for Kevin to kill her because she wants to die but is afraid of leaving (leaving Kevin in this case). The Jeopardy story talks about how she wants to leave Neil but is ultimately afraid to. Despite the fact she won on Jeopardy and despite the fact she won with Kevin, she just can't leave. This was her way of getting Kevin to do what she's been afraid to do.

Patti is one of my favorite characters in all of television and Ann Dowd is brilliant.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Niwrad posted:

You figure out who she really is. She married an abusive man who she was too afraid to leave even when she had the means to. She wasn't evil, she was just horribly abused. That strong persona she put on just masked the fact she was a scared, mentally broken woman who felt belittled.

I thought that too. I think the scene can work both ways.

Patti was also asking for Kevin to kill her because she wants to die but is afraid of leaving (leaving Kevin in this case). The Jeopardy story talks about how she wants to leave Neil but is ultimately afraid to. Despite the fact she won on Jeopardy and despite the fact she won with Kevin, she just can't leave. This was her way of getting Kevin to do what she's been afraid to do.

Interesting interpretation of the Jeopardy part. But I don't think the Patti in the well is "who she really is". All three versions of her in the episode are different aspects of her, equally real in their own way. The first is how she presents herself to others, the second is her formative experiences, and the third is the self-aware connective tissue between the other two.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 15, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatched the entirety of season 2 on a plane ride and drat it's so good and International Assassin in particular is way better/more emotionally resonant than I remembered

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There are so many little details in it, from the Mercedes car that the girls drove to the fake 60's neck break, you can tell they had a really good time with it

Edit: When Little Girl Patti tells Virgil that Kevin is going to push her into the well, Virgil transforms into Happy Neighbor John

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm a little behind on my rewatch, on s02e02 and... it's really good. drat good. I really enjoyed rewatching season one and I feel like I appreciate it more than I did, but I think I'm already enjoying this season more. I haven't even gotten close to the best parts (International Assassin) yet, but I'm really digging the early awkward interactions between John and Kevin, and everyone in Jarden.

It almost feels like an entirely new show. I feel they transitioned the Garveys and Norah really well to the new setting, and there's some really strong world-building with Jarden: the visitors' center, etc. It feels like a real place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Max Richter's music is amazing in the series.

• Locked thread