Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I like them both. To me, Season 1 is about the more immediate effects of dealing with a traumatic event, one that shakes your foundation level beliefs and shatters any expectations you may have had for the future. Season 2 is the longer term, accepting that this traumatic event really did happen and that it might have just happened for no reason at all, but learning to live with that not-knowing. There's a reason why Kevin seems happy in his reply to John in the ER: "I don't understand what's happening." "Me neither." He hasn't come back from 'the other side' with some profound knowledge of how it all works behind the scenes, it's the exact opposite! He's accepted that admitting we don't know is sometimes the best outcome for the big questions, because it frees us to then participate in the life that we do know we're experiencing in the here and now.

E:

UmOk posted:

Doesn't one of the characters actually address the magical negros issue? It seems like imaginary Pattie said something about it but I could be wrong.

Yeah, it is Patti, when Kevin is yelling at her in the woods. "What would you have done if I'd told you the solution to all your problems was a magical black man at the edge of town? That's borderline racist is what that is!"

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Was Kevin's dad bit in the arm by the snake the exact same way that the cavewoman in the first episode of S2 was? I forget how that scene went.

The way he kills it, by grabbing it and smacking it against the ground, is the exact same way that she did.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, never forget this is a woman who deals with grief by hiring prostitutes to shoot her in the chest and yells at strangers in bars about moving on being impossible. She's clinging onto any threads of hope she can find that she'll see her kids again.

To reinforce this point: Assuming that this is not a grift and that the two physicist women Nora talked to actually know what they're talking about, one of them straight up tells her that the odds her kids ended up in an environment that could actually support human life are astronomical. That the most likely scenario is a bunch of corpses floating out in space. Yet by the end of the episode, Nora is still saying No, my kids aren't DEAD, they're GONE.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

A bit of narrative frustration with this one. Why wouldn't Matt, who believes himself to be a potential author of the New New Testament, not ask a guy who has allegedly gone through the exact same thing as Kevin about his experience?

Think of it this way: Matt's writing a book about a man who he thinks is the second coming of Christ, a man who up until this point has vehemently denied that title. Then on this boat, he meets another man who not only introduces himself as God, but does so with what basically amounts to a pithy business card. The next time he sees him, he's murdering someone. And THAT'S when he finds out that this guy supposedly died and came back just like Kevin, already has followers who think that he's God, and is basically allowed to go wherever and do whatever he wants because of it.

In the mythology that Matt is building for Kevin, this David Burton guy fits the role of the Anti-Christ like a glove. I don't think he's really interested in hearing what he has to say beyond confirming that he's a "fraud," and he seems really disappointed in himself for buying into Burton's bullshit after he unties him.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I'm a little confused at the ending. It seemed like Matt's conversation with "God" sort of broke him. But then at the end when the lion eats "God", that has to only reinforce Matt's views, right? I mean he was reading straight from the Book of Daniel on the plane.

David Burton is not literally God, but he plays the role of God in their conversation to Matt's Job. 'I did the Departure because I could' is The Leftovers equivalent of "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" It's only after Matt accepts that he's never going to understand why things happen the way they do that he's free to live his own life, without constantly searching for signs or trying to interpret what God wants him to do next. God is loving God, if they want Matt back in Miracle on the 14th, he's going to be back in Miracle on the 14th. If he isn't, God must not have wanted him there. In giving up that need to understand the nature and will of something that is inherently impossible to understand, he has placed his faith back in God. And then his faith is promptly rewarded through A) a bunch of fishermen vindicating his account of Burton did and B) Burton getting mauled by a Lion. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

"In an episode that opened w 1800-SUICIDE, showed Laurie trying to kill herself, had Nora describe exactly how you kill yourself while scuba diving, and closed w Laurie going diving...maybe she's still alive" - a poster in this thread

Also Laurie branding herself as Judas, then being promptly reminded that Judas killed himself.

Or just sort of burst open depending on what Gospel you're reading.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

UmOk posted:

Tonight's episode better have more Kevin.

It had 100% more Kevin!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goddamn, that narration during the promo for the next episode... Can't wait. I liked this episode, it was crammed full of happenings, which is nice. The last shot in the etherworld of Patti and Kevin watching the bombs fall was nice.

I have to ask, maybe I'm just dumb, maybe I can't quite piece it together, but if the etherworld/afterlife/whatever it is is like a polar opposite of the real world, then what does nuking it signify, saving the real world?

Nuking it is Kevin making a definitive decision to never come back to this place, despite the fact that it's the only place he's ever felt like he's had any real purpose. Whether it's actually the afterlife or just some mental construct he's created for himself to work out his issues and feel important, he's recognized that constantly bailing on his own reality is not healthy for himself or the people he loves.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I don't feel cheapened by the Laurie thing. She said she was an avid diver and maybe she didn't think she'd get back to Australia. It really was now or never for her to dive there. It also explains how serene she was despite her kids calling. No need to be torn up if you aren't going to kill yourself.

I think the fact that she's alive recontextualizes the scene where she gets the phone call from Jill and Tommy. I originally read it as "My kids are fine, they don't need me anymore, just like the world in general has no need for people like me anymore," but now I think it's more "who the gently caress cares if everything I thought I 'knew' about the world has been thrown to the wind? I know that I have people who love me and that's all that has ever really mattered anyway."

e: Although that scene was always ambiguous, the later reveal of Laurie being alive I think solidifies it

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 5, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Ashrik posted:

I find these arguments not compelling enough to make the leap from Nora could be lying to Nora must be lying.

Also, in Nora's story, she mentions a man who was in a grocery store and then suddenly all alone. Isn't that the parallel to Grace's story about being a grocery store and then having the cashier depart in front of her? It's not confirmation one way or the other, but like David Burton appearing in Kevin's journeys to the "Other Side," it's just enough to sow the seeds of belief.

I think it was Grace's story anyway, I need to rewatch this season (and series) now that it's all wrapped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

What's funny is that you only need to take out a small chunk:

oliwan posted:

You guys should read up on your Barthes and your Foucault if you're​ bringing the authors into it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

Taking Nora's story at face value really [...] diminishes the power of the finale, since the lie and Kevin and Nora's acceptance of it is the whole point of the scene, and the whole point of their character development. It doesn't matter what Lindelof says or doesn't say -- we can only go by what is there.

And suddenly it's just a post expressing a valid opinion about the show without being unnecessarily lovely to other people!

• Locked thread