Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWrp7QlW4c

April 16th can't get here soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

UmOk posted:

From the trailer. Why does this look familiar?

The reading room of the State Library of Victoria. Might have seen it in another show or movie?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So they invented a machine to microwave the leftovers?

Fast Luck posted:

Otherwise a pretty good episode though. Probably we get to Australia next episode and change gears a bit.
The last few scenes were in Australia, ya know, hence the dead roo on the front of the landcruiser. But yeah, it'll be good to have the main cast there.

A nice catch was Kevins (Damien Garvey) numberplate for his 4wd that hit the roo was ZCU666. The 666 might be a coincidence but who knows just yet. The Zxx numberplates in Victoria are reserved for Government or Commonwealth cars, so that checks out for a cop car.

I didn't expect to see Francis Greenslade (comedian) or Damien Garvey in the show either, amusing to see local actors in a big HBO show.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Glad we'll be getting more Scott Glenn soon, but I am pretty confused about what is going on in the last scene. I understand that those women think the police chief named Kevin is actually Kevin Garvey but, if it takes place in current time (which it seems to), then how the gently caress are they quoting Matt's book about Kevin that there is only one copy in the world of, has just been written, and has been nowhere near Australia? What. The. gently caress. :psyduck:

He moves to Australia with Nora next episode. He then stays there and becomes a police chief of some station somewhere rural. I mean, Nora has been living in Australia for decades going by the last scene of last weeks episode, why not Kevin? Scott Glen is just immortal. (Or Kevin is Garvy Sr. in the future)

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 25, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Good episode. The best looking episode of the series, wonderfully shot.

I like the fact that the "You're the guy who killed him?" bloke is best known in Australia for this ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX__i-zeaWs

Also, drat, David Gulpilil (Christopher Sunday) is looking old these day, unexpected surprise but good to see him in the show too, given the themes of this episode.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Open Source Idiom posted:

I will say this though -- What was Grace doing shopping for groceries at a Big W? What does she eat, batteries?

1kg bags of lollies and chocolates.

I also doubt there is a Big W out near Brokenhill (although the fake town with the postoffice places it somewhere in Victoria with the postcode, despite being filmed in NSW.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ugh, it is called the State Library not the Melbourne library, that doesn't exist. Worst show. Also funnily enough the 570 bus does exist, but the destination of Eastwood does not, also the 570 doesn't go anywhere near the city as it is a shuttle service from a train station to a university campus out in the suburbs.

Octy posted:

Melburnians have really weird accents.

Melbournian.

Also, not many n that episode talked normally except the tv host woman who is actually a tv show host. Maybe the old man at the bus stop and the hotel valet too but the guy in the laneway was hamming it up, what Americans think Australians talk like.

Good episode, not as good as last weeks but still good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pretty random episode.

I don't think you'd be flying from the US to Australia in a DHC-4 Caribou though. That was filmed at RAAF Point Cook, that one sits next to the museum on the base. Funnily enough the airbase has one of the worlds only 3 horizon tanks for making movies/tv shows, just south of the main runway, but it hasn't been used for awhile.

And the ferries between Melbourne and Tasmania is a little bit larger.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No. I just recognised the location, not many Caribous in Melbourne and the treeline in the distance are gumtrees so it probably wasn't shot in Texas.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
If there is some sort of nuclear apocalypse it would be amusing that our characters are in Melbourne for the end of the world given that is the plot of the novel On The Beach and the two movies made from it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Microwave People set up shop here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.9686367,145.0100498,415m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Good (but pricey) fish and chips there, also an old monitor ship ship sunk as a breakwater... the HMAS Cerberus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Looten Plunder posted:

Where are all the dessert scenes filmed? Film Victoria is always listed in the credits, but I can't imagine anything like that existing in Victoria. I guess it could be up somewhere near the SA boarder but I'm curious.

What about the farmhouse/country scenes? I know there are dozens of Vic locations that that could be done, but it would be fun to know.

The farm is up in the You Yangs, which is about 45 minutes out of Melbourne, where Mad Max (1) was filmed. According to Film Vic they used the Little River Biodiversity Interpretation Centre. Which is located right next to the Ford proving grounds, but having a quick look I can't see any farmhouse right next to a dam/pond that matches the show. Funnily enough one of the quarries right near there was used for filming the Iwo Jima episodes of The Pacific when they filled it with volcanic ash soil and the inland (airfield attack) scenes of Guadalcanal were also filmed up there.

A press release also mentions a few scenes being filmed in Clunes, possibly where Kevin Sr. was walking in his episode. An old gold mining town which has a distinctive 'western' main street (again, a Mad Max 1 location)

I have no clue where the desert-y scenes were filmed, someone online said Silverton (Broken Hill, where Mad Max 2 was filmed) but I dunno about that. Could be somewhere in the North West of Victoria.

Film Vic does have a location scouting gallery though: https://www.film.vic.gov.au/choose-victoria/locations/

• Locked thread