Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Season 1 had plenty of supernatural events, Lost references/parallels, and winky meta humor. I don't see how someone could prefer it over the second season on that basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

UmOk posted:

I really like how twisted the roles of these characters are. Cop that hides bodies, firefighter that starts fire, Priest that certainly doesn't turn the other cheek.

Kinda funny after Lindelof's oft-criticized work on Prometheus with the map maker who gets lost, biologist who gets killed provoking the first life they find, pilot who (intentionally) crashes the ship, scientists who base everything on faith, and so on.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

There was Aimee in season 1 who, it's implied IIRC, lost her entire family to the Depature. Hence why she was living at Kevin's the entire season. Also Matt's wife went into a coma simultaneously to the Depature, so it's not like she (and he) weren't directly affected by the event.

I thought she just didn't get along with her own family. She definitely never says or even hints that she lost anyone in the Departure. I know teenagers often try to act tough and hide their feelings but that's pushing it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm still hoping for resolution on the 'wish' Kevin got to make when he found Wayne in S1;

Its implied that he wished to have his family back together, but when he arrived back home he had a new family unit instead: New girlfriend, new baby, even a new dog.

Supercar Gautier posted:

They weren't. I still can't believe people misunderstood the finale this badly.

It's just become a lazy meme at this point. People repeating it don't care about the actual show.

To be fair, the finale isn't really complete without "The New Man in Charge" epilogue episode that should really have aired at the same time instead of being withheld, IIRC, for the DVDs.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

This review is also probably the best summary of the show's themes:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/leftovers-season-3-review-final-episodes-1202029489/

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I loved Lost, even at the end (thought the last season was weaker, though), but I never cared about the themes the way I do with Leftovers. I mainly liked Lost because it was audacious and ambiguous. Leftovers is audacious, ambiguous, and affecting.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I genuinely forget what the end of her story was, I only watched the episode once. Mind refreshing my memory?

She won more than enough money on Jeopardy to leave her abusive husband and start over, but she stayed with him anyway.

When I re-watched this scene recently I wondered whether the story was her way of telling Kevin to finally finish her off or he would regret it, the way she regretted not leaving Neil.

Also, are we supposed to know anything about Bridge Guy?

He may be the Australian man who claimed to have died and come back from the other side, as mentioned a couple times in background dialogue.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 14, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

You figure out who she really is. She married an abusive man who she was too afraid to leave even when she had the means to. She wasn't evil, she was just horribly abused. That strong persona she put on just masked the fact she was a scared, mentally broken woman who felt belittled.

I thought that too. I think the scene can work both ways.

Patti was also asking for Kevin to kill her because she wants to die but is afraid of leaving (leaving Kevin in this case). The Jeopardy story talks about how she wants to leave Neil but is ultimately afraid to. Despite the fact she won on Jeopardy and despite the fact she won with Kevin, she just can't leave. This was her way of getting Kevin to do what she's been afraid to do.

Interesting interpretation of the Jeopardy part. But I don't think the Patti in the well is "who she really is". All three versions of her in the episode are different aspects of her, equally real in their own way. The first is how she presents herself to others, the second is her formative experiences, and the third is the self-aware connective tissue between the other two.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 15, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The finale will be at the countdown to the world ending and it cuts to credits

I really feel like it will end something like this. At least, the season will lead up to the anniversary day of the Departure and then end before showing us the actual day.

Although when I saw the first trailer for this season I though the part with everyone in different locations looking up at the sky in shock was possibly the sun going out, since that's the only thing I can think of that would cause people all around the world to react that way at the same time.

UmOk posted:

I would watch a season where the departed come come back exactly as they were with absolutely no explanation of what happened. Just focus on the returnees dealing with a world that moved on without them.

Haven't there been a few shows like this? Like The 4400, The Returned, Les Revenants.

I'd rather they didn't do anything with the departed people, except maybe something small like have departed characters as unremarkable extras in the purgatorial hotel world.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 16, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Every pre-release review for this season (critics got 7/8 eps) has been so absurdly positive and I could not be more excited right now

What they don't know is the last episode breaks the fourth wall to follow Lindelof's breakdown as he realizes he's on a deadline but has no idea how to end the show.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

Someone please refresh my memory, we never found out what Kevin wished for from Wayne?

Like Raxivace said, it was implied that he wished for his family back together but what he got against all odds was a new family, complete with a new baby and even a new dog.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I'm thinking the point of the "Sarah" part was to let us know from the beginning that the world is not actually ending in 13 days.

El Jeffe posted:

Did Kevin try to kill himself, only to be saved by divine intervention again?

What happened to Lily?

Why shred the money? I get that they don't want to profit off it but why not donate it?

No intro at all this season?

1. Maybe, but there was no earthquake.

2. Maybe her real mom somehow got her back? Tommy knew who her real mom was.

3. Maybe to remove the temptation of profit?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 17, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also curious as to where Erika is. I don't think she even got a mention aside from when John was talking about when he was 25.

She was already planning on leaving John, their daughter betraying them and then dying probably pushed that process along even further.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Ausmund posted:

Also, I don't know anything about history or religion, what's the significance of birds with notes wrapped around their legs? How does it apply to the prologue and ending of the episode? Like I get pilgrim lady and flashforward Nora are a reflection of each other, but in what way?

The last part may have been alluding to the Noah story, where after the flood Noah sent out a dove to see if the world was habitable again. Not a literal plot parallel, just a possible bit of reference.

In the intro the birds seemed to be carrying messages to help calculate the dates of the rapture.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I suppose since the Millerite sect originated in America but the one shown was in Australia the messages probably were to spread the teachings to such a far out area.

Why do the Busey dudes at the beginning tell Kevin "never underestimate the spirit"?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 19, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

It's probably obvious, but I was thinking about how logic is literally turned upsidedown in this universe. Sure, we can laugh at Matt and John for writing a book about Kevin. But, at least in Matt's case, why wouldn't he? Everything he's seen points to Kevin as a literal messiah. If he's a priest, what else is there to believe??

There's nothing at all pointing to him being a messiah. He's clearly entangled with supernatural events, but the only person he saved in his supernatural excursions was himself.

They've made the mistake of making the leap from "something supernatural is going on" to "something satisfyingly meaningful is going on", but there's no guarantee of the latter.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

They really shortchanged her in every possible way in the show. She's just living at the Garvey's inexplicably all season then decides to go somewhere else, while the book makes it clear that she came from a kinda rough family situation that got even worse when her mom Departed, leaving her in the legal custody of a creepy, probably abusive stepdad. She and Kevin grow uncomfortably close as they both seek any kind of human connection - and as Book Kevin definitely does not look like Justin Theroux, he's a bit more receptive to a teenager flirting with him than he should be.

I understand why they kept her on the show, because she drives/facilitates Jill's rebellious streak, but they kept a lot of extraneous traits that never paid off because they didn't explain who she was a person.

I feel like in the show version of the story it doesn't fit for her mom to have departed. Especially since it seems intentional that the show is set up so that none of the main characters had any direct relatives/loved ones depart except for Nora. At least until we find out about Laurie's fetus at the very end of the season.

If Dean could come back for one episode I wonder if Aimee or the twins would.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The introduction of that other Chief Kevin was very reminiscent of the Twin Peaks movie when they introduced the town of Dear Meadow which was basically Twin Peaks with everything good about it turned lovely.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

At first this episode felt a little off to me, similar to what oliwan first said (but less insufferable). But as I thought about it I realized it was because normally with this show, and especially Nora episodes, we're usually shown the gut-wrenching depths of the characters unflinching and unfiltered. For example the scene in season one where she sees the replicas of her kids at the kitchen table and breaks down completely is still one of the best emotional scenes I've ever seen in anything. Yet in this episode, despite one gut-punch after the other, Nora / Carrie Coon never had a scene of completely letting loose like that. The closest was probably in the car after she saw Lily.

So the episode withheld that climactic catharsis, pulling back each time instead into meta and ironic humor (of a different flavor than usual). But the way the show did that mirrors the current state of Nora herself, who is currently keeping up a facade at even her most vulnerable moments.

TLDR: I felt this episode kept me at a distance emotionally, but then I realized it made sense because that's what Nora is doing more than ever before.

oliwan posted:

Well that's the thing: why tell us something that we already know, or have seen before?

I can't remember any other time in the show where a character (here referring to Erika) genuinely moves on from their grief in a constructive, graceful way.

Raxivace posted:

The trampoline stuff is weird and I'm not entirely sure it works, but as a weird stress relief thing it parallels Kevin's adventures in asphyxiation, Matt's writing of a New New Testament, the Busey inflatable, John's denial of Evie's death, the belief Tower Man Departed despite definitely dying, etc.

Except its the only coping mechanism shown in the entire show that's been healthy and constructive.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 25, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I meant that I'm not sure it works as a scene in the show, not that it isn't portrayed as healthy.

I know, I just mean I don't think it parallels those other elements you listed as much as it contrasts with them.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Finally got around to watching this some hours ago and I still have a huge grin on my face from them using the Perfect Strangers theme. I mean holy poo poo. From a background pop-culture joke in Season 1, to evolving the joke and a Mark Linn-
Glad we'll be getting more Scott Glenn soon, but I am pretty confused about what is going on in the last scene. I understand that those women think the police chief named Kevin is actually Kevin Garvey but, if it takes place in current time (which it seems to), then how the gently caress are they quoting Matt's book about Kevin that there is only one copy in the world of, has just been written, and has been nowhere near Australia? What. The. gently caress. :psyduck:

Maybe they were quoting something that came from Matt somehow, but its clear they didn't actually read his book because Matt's new mythology all centers around Miracle and he believes Kevin still can die if he leaves there.

Also Matt could have easily lied about there only being one copy. He lied to Nora and then brazenly denied it this episode.

drunkill posted:

He moves to Australia with Nora next episode. He then stays there and becomes a police chief of some station somewhere rural. I mean, Nora has been living in Australia for decades going by the last scene of last weeks episode, why not Kevin? Scott Glen is just immortal. (Or Kevin is Garvy Sr. in the future)

There is a news broadcast in the background at the beginning of the Australia sequence establishing that it takes place around the same time as the rest of the episode, not in the future.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

A Damon Lindelof's House of Leaves miniseries is sounding more and more like a potentially good idea, actually.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Klungar posted:

So is the implication at the end that Kevin Sr. will become an acolyte for Kevin Jr. for Grace and her crew, or that he would reveal himself as Police Chief Kevin and use her group to aid his flood prevention efforts?

I think they're going to drown Kevin Jr. so he can go to the other side and get the rest of the song Sr. was trying to get from Christopher Sunday.

Fast Luck posted:

I was a bit surprised that it turns out the whole time Kevin Sr. had been in Australia he'd had no clue what the hell he's doing.

Except that he did remember being in the hotel and taking the drug that let him talk to Kevin in the other world, he just didn't remember their conversation. Almost like he accomplished the real reason for being there but he doesn't know it yet.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Also regarding Low Amplitude Denzinger Radiation" - Denzinger doesn't appear to have any connection to physical sciences. Denzinger in this case is almost certainly 19th philosopher cum theologian Heinrich Denzinger, who was known for interest in real historical connections to religious lore.

My guess is that it wasn't an arbitrary choice to use "Denzinger" and something will connect the LADR to more than the opening scene of episode 301.

I read somewhere that Denzinger was mentioned in background of the first season as part of the government commission tasked with explaining the departures.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

We also found out that apparently, sometimes, physical objects disappear along with the Departed. At least, I think that's what Grace was saying about the checkout girl who disappeared along with the box of Wheat Thins or whatever.

We already knew that, since in the episode set on the day of the departure the people took their clothes, jewelry, makeup, etc. with them when they disappeared. But nobody ever mentioned animals departing before, as far as I know.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Maybe the prologue was actually set in Australia?

It was.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

oliwan posted:

Also, yes, the step from "enjoyable" to "good" for me is that it has an intelligent literary quality to it, like the wire, or mad men, or Fargo, or even the good wife.

Defend these shows to us.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

According to this episode, everyone who had committed to entering the machine is now a missing person. If everyone was just killing themselves in their own way out of despair, they wouldn't be missing, they'd be on record as suicides.

Unless the people in the testimonies have all left their lives and joined the scam, like an alternate form of the GR, and the testimonies were faked.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I'm not really getting the Nora plot. It's obviously a scam, everything about it just screams scam. But Nora really seems to believe in it on some level. Why would a trained fraud investigator fall for this? She must have seen this poo poo a million times already over the years, why would this one crack her?

Because being a fraud investigator makes it easier to lie to herself and tell herself she's just investigating. Also, not only did her kids depart but now she's lost Lily too so she's even more emotionally vulnerable than usual.

El Jeffe posted:

If it were a scam they wouldn't turn people away, would they?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 9, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Two kids and a husband, though it all depends on how much she ran the house.

Also, am I just making stuff up in my mind, or was it briefly mentioned that her husband had been cheating on her?

Three kids if you include Lily. And yes, he was.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

To be totally fair, it's actually very reasonable for people in the show's universe to assume that the departed actually went... somewhere. The idea of a natural phenomenon just randomly plucking away people (and not the air or the dirt or like half a person or another person the departed was physically in contact with at the time or whatever) is pretty absurd. If I lived in the Leftovers world I'd definitely be assuming "taken" and not "just gone."

I know this show isn't about solving the mystery of the departures, at all. But if I were a person in this world the main clue to me would be that people vanished with their clothes, accessories, etc. but not, like you said, with anything else in their surroundings. And as a viewer the other main clue is that all of the departures we actually see in flashbacks were people who were unwanted by those around them at the time.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I've been thinking this too (specifically in regardsthe explosives and submarines from the season trailer), and I have a wild theory about how WW3/nuclear war actually ends up causing the departure in the first place, based on how the Perfect Strangers guy explained the physics involved in sending people to where the departed went. But that just might be me not wanting to let the mystery be.

Tachyons?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I've read some stuff about cosmic particles. They travel at nearly the speed of light, they're so tiny that they don't intersect with even densely packed matter, and the Earth's magnetic field deflects most of them. Given the measurable radiation being the only thing anyone knows about the Sudden Departure, and that Damon Lindelof is big on electromagnetic forces in his shows, I'm surprised the commonly accepted theory among survivors isn't that a super powerful cosmic ray collided with the Earth at just the right angle that everyone on the planet vibrating within a certain frequency range disintegrated on the spot - and therefore is dead rather than missing/taken/raptured/whatever. I'd leap to that way before I figured they're alive somewhere or were taken to [insert favorite religious afterlife].

This is why its important that they took their clothes, accessories, and certain items they were holding with them but chunks of their surroundings did not go missing at the same time. To nature people are just collections of matter and energy, same as anything else in their surroundings. A natural phenomenon would not treat a person along their clothes etc. as a distinct entity the way, say, a video-game's programming might.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

A bit of narrative frustration with this one. Why wouldn't Matt, who believes himself to be a potential author of the New New Testament, not ask a guy who has allegedly gone through the exact same thing as Kevin about his experience?

Back when I used to be a Christian my Bible study group took a trip to a mosque to learn about Islam, as a sort of interfaith dialogue thing. We all sat there respectfully as the woman there explained the similarities and differences between her beliefs and Christianity, but on the ride home my pastor ripped into everything she said like "Wow, how do people believe such ridiculous BS?". Point being once people decide to invest their faith into something they tend to still be closed off to anything outside their own dogma, even if there's no rational reason to believe one and not the other.

Also this is a really good interview with Lindelof that touches on that:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/leftovers-episode-inspired-by-matt-zoller-seitz.html?mid=twitter_vulture&mid=twitter_vulture

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 15, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I'm not sure what to think of this season. I felt like with only 8 episodes the stories would be much more compressed. But they've already had two standalone episodes for certain characters which are fine but think it's a waste not to use Carrie Coon.

Maybe I just need to re-watch them again. Sometimes I think there are scenes that just add nothing to story.

I'd agree that this season isn't as perfect so far as season 2 was. But as for scenes that add nothing to the story, at this point we don't really know for sure what the story is. Most of characters think its about the world ending in a few days, but the real story could still be about them being mistaken about that.

We do have new characters this season, they just tend to be wrapped up in these video-game missions the other characters are on.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a character introduced who's like "I didn't lose anyone, don't know anyone who did, the world was overpopulated anyway, so whatever." If only just for a contrast to everyone's pain and society's fallout from the Departure. "Yeah, it actually benefits humanity as a whole, guys. No biggie."

Aimee in season one was the closest to that, although we never found out if she actually did lose somebody and was covering for it by pretending not to care.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

UmOk posted:

One of the cool things about the show is that none of the main characters lost anyone in the departure except Nora. And she is probably the least psychotic of them all.

Laurie too, sorta.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Nora is absolutely the most damaged person in the show.

I dunno, as broken as Nora is at least she tries to soldier on. Matt let his wife and kid leave him without even trying to stop them because he thinks he's the protagonist in some religious video-game.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 16, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah, Matt almost earned a whole paragraph. He still has (or had) some type of goal - approval from God. Recognition of his devotion. Nora doesn't have any motivation other than peacekeeping, personal harm, and admonishment for stolen valor.

Nora is a very compelling and nuanced character. I just don't know what is driving her at the moment, other than the loss of her family. Not to minimize that, but it's not a forward-looking plan. Kevin at least thinks he wants a stable family with Nora, but she doesn't seem to have similarly "normal" future wishes. It's not a criticism of the writing or anything like that.

I think it all goes back to two scenes from the first season. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYG8H-sfks

And the one where she's in the coffee shop and Jill sees her purposely knock her cup over to get a cheap jolt of attention and sympathy from the waiter.

Put those two scenes together and its like she genuinely does want to move on from her losses but she also defines herself and her relationships with others entirely by them. She both wants and doesn't want to be "Nora Cursed" for the rest of her life.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I think in sick subconscious way maybe Nora thought moving to Miracle would make her a center of sympathetic attention again, since she would be one of the only people in a departure-less town who lost multiple people on that day. But then right away her next door neighbor's kid also "departed", which in her mind was like someone stealing her tragedy.

Bates posted:

The GR was idiotic in this way. Oh no people are forgetting! But they're clearly not. Everybody is going insane and the world is hosed up.

I think they just wanted people to admit that everything was hosed up. They knew people weren't really forgetting, but they were pretending to.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

David Burton is not literally God, but he plays the role of God in their conversation to Matt's Job. 'I did the Departure because I could' is The Leftovers equivalent of "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" It's only after Matt accepts that he's never going to understand why things happen the way they do that he's free to live his own life, without constantly searching for signs or trying to interpret what God wants him to do next. God is loving God, if they want Matt back in Miracle on the 14th, he's going to be back in Miracle on the 14th. If he isn't, God must not have wanted him there. In giving up that need to understand the nature and will of something that is inherently impossible to understand, he has placed his faith back in God. And then his faith is promptly rewarded through A) a bunch of fishermen vindicating his account of Burton did and B) Burton getting mauled by a Lion. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Not sure if he actually placed his faith back in God by the end, but like you said he's clearly given up needing to constantly interpret and then control everything.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 18, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

When Leftovers is done, I hope Lindelof just writes small indie films or something in the style of "Two Boats and a Helicopter" instead of stuff like Tomorrowland. He's insanely good at the former and not quite so much the blockbustery stuff.

To be fair he has yet to work on a movie where he is given a high degree of freedom. Prometheus is probably the closest to his usual themes and even then he said he mainly came in and reworked the existing script based on what Ridley Scott wanted (more ambiguity, less direct Alien references) not what he wanted.

quote:

The problem with Lost was that the promise of some great revelation tying everything up was what kept the show's narrative moving forward, rather than strong scripts and performances. Leftovers has the latter in abundance so there never needs to be an 'answer', dropping one in at the end of the show would ruin it.

Lost did tie together most of its mythology by the end, though. Of the main mysteries only the Dharma Initiative fell by the wayside in the final season.

I remember when Lost ended the creators responded to the backlash by saying they tried to focus on giving closure to the characters, not to the mysteries. To me the show was neither driven by the characters or the mysteries. It was propelled by big, audacious, iconic moments.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 20, 2017

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

I'm pretty sure we didn't even get a name for that black dog in seasons 1 and 2.

Kevin the third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

HanabaL03 posted:

Why was Kevin Sr. carrying a bag of shoes when Laurie shows up in the VW Wagon?

I'm rewatching the episode and it seems weird that Grace mentioned at the end of the episode that they never found her kids shoes.

She said she searched everywhere (used stores, clothing donation bins, etc.) for her kids' shoes and never found them, so maybe those were some that she was looking through.

UmOk posted:

Laurie was all about herself. All of her arcs are about her hurting others to make herself feel better.

More like manipulating others into what she saw as the truth, even if she had to lie to get them there.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 23, 2017

• Locked thread