Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

UmOk posted:

From the trailer. Why does this look familiar?

The Dharma Initiative is behind the Departure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Meg was also mad that nobody cared about her grieving of her mother because the Departure stole her thunder.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I've seen two different titles listed for the series finale: "The Book of Nora" and "A Full Explanation for The Departure That Is Both Physically and Religiously Satisfying". I'm not quite sure which one to believe...

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Is this the Perfect Strangers theme song?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Perfect Strangers is well established in the Leftovers universe, and clearly has relevance to this episode. We'll see if they keep it for future episodes.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Does the name Kevin mean anything to you?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

El Jeffe posted:

Nice attention to detail how it's the 15th in Australia instead of the 14th.

Yeah, I was quite impressed with that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I assume we'll be back to whatever the standard theme song will be for the rest of the season next week, that Lindelof couldn't resist trolling people who were waiting to see what would happen with the third season credits after the wildly different versions of season 1 and 2 and then skipping the credits altogether with the first episode of season 3.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Everything that is important is in the Cloud, after all.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

The end of the premier, one might easily think the grey-haired person is Kevin Sr, before Nora turns around and we realize it is her.

The end of the second episode, one might think that we are seeing the Nora-future again, based on the old women who make up the posse, but the person who comes out of the house turns out it to be Kevin Sr.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

So is the implication at the end that Kevin Sr. will become an acolyte for Kevin Jr. for Grace and her crew, or that he would reveal himself as Police Chief Kevin and use her group to aid his flood prevention efforts?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Perhaps the question she's asked is akin to "Have you accepted Jesus into your life?"

Yeah, that's definitely how I interpreted the question. Especially with how fervently the horse lady's bought in to the single page of the Book of Kevin they were exposed to in the following episode.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I read in an article that they didn't have the funds to create a new opening image sequence for the third season because of the reduced budget for the final season, and that Lindelof didn't want the second and third seasons to have the same opening while season one was the lone one out, so they went with a different song for each episode to make it distinct from season two but not have to redo the whole thing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

"Perfect Strangers" seems like an apt description of The Others.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyone else find it surprising that almost no spoilers have leaked for this season? I remember we had a whole separate thread for LOST episodes that was spoiler discussion only. Everyone was leaking poo poo back then.

The critics got 7 of the 8 episodes at the beginning of the season. I have to imagine that the protection on the finale is pretty intense.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Just a word of warning: it sounds like there will be advanced screenings of the finale for reviewers, so spoilers may leak.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I still prefer the original working title, "A Full Explanation for The Departure That Is Both Physically and Religiously Satisfying".

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

When do shows go up in the HBO Go app? Immediately after it airs? Midnight?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Anyone having any luck pulling this up on HBO Go?

e: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Show doesn't air for another 40 minutes, my TV calendar was set on the wrong time zone.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 5, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

RentACop posted:

Except I'm pretty sure Nora was starting to yell "Stop" right before the scene cut, which means she made up that whole story. Or did she?!?!

I think that's what you are supposed to think. I figured the scene cut meant she stopped things while initially watching the scene, but then Nora's story could also be a possible explanation, or just a story she tells herself/others. We'll just have to let the mystery be.

e: a picture from Sepinwall's review:

Klungar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 5, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Nora decided not to kill herself at the last second because she realized her kids didn't need her anymore.

Laurie decided not to kill herself at the last second because she realized her kids still did.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lindelof did say that a John/Erika episode and a Tom/Jill episode would have happened if they had 10 episodes instead of 8.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

"A Lie Agreed Upon" describes this show well.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

androo posted:

Has anyone figured out how much older everyone really is? Kevin looks maybe 15 years older at most, but Nora looks another 15-20. And Kevin says his father is now 91...

I think I saw only 10 years somewhere.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

savinhill posted:

So unless I missed something during the episode that made my following conjecture obvious and moot, Laurie had to have told Kevin at some point that Nora was alive and where she was. Admittedly I was frustrated with the episode, so could have missed this originally. I do remember thinking "what kind of rear end in a top hat would let someone they care about go on wondering about the fate of one of the person they love" but in retrospect I could see Laurie not telling him for awhile just cuz of thinking Nora may cause him to go back to acting crazy again, but finally realizing that letting him know would be best for both of them, and even maybe coaching him in the whole way he approached her.

Laurie didn't tell Kevin anything. He's spent the past however many years going around the Australian countryside showing people Nora's photo and asking if they recognize her. He only found her because he happened to talk to the nun.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lindelof's post-Leftovers project will be adapting the graphic novel Watchmen (previously adapted as a movie by Zack Snyder) as a TV series for HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

In light of recent events, I had no idea this was a real thing and not something created for the show:

• Locked thread