Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

But let's not forget what Lindelof said about shooting the first scene of the show, with the woman in the car. Someone from the crew said "what if we shot it another way, too, from the perspective of the baby, and mom is gone?" and they didn't do that, only because they were losing light. Since then, that idea stuck in his head.

The show would have been really different if they had used that scene from the baby's perspective. It would have kind of answered part of the mystery as to where everyone went. I like the idea of filming Nora going to the other side since it can be portrayed as her telling a story (whether you believe it or not), but once you show the baby's perspective there is no mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did they ever explain what the marks on Tommy's back were from during Season 1?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Liv Tyler is a perfectly fine actress but she is on the same show as Carrie Coon and Ann Dowd who are on another level.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The fact House of Cards gets so many nominations shows that voters are not watching much outside of a handful of popular shows.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Really? Shows like The Handmaid's Tale, Atlanta, Master of None, and Feud are all on there too among the more conspicuous nominees.

Also Carrie Coon got nominated for Fargo, which was a better performance and Ann Dowd was nominated for Handmaid's Tale (she crushes it in everything so whatever she got nominated for is fine by me).

If you're just mad about the lack of Theroux's penis that's understandable. I'm sure it's magnificent and maybe has a Circle Jerks logo tattooed on it somewhere.

I'd consider shows like the Handsmaids Tale, Atlanta, and Master of None popular. They got a boatload of media attention. The comedy category is always weird because a lot of new ones have been popping up and the category was barren a few years back.

House of Cards has been terrible for a few years now and rakes in the nominations. Liev Schrieber, Kevin Spacey, and Robin Wright are still getting their annual nominations for some reason. And I like Stranger Things and Westworld a lot. But it's not a better drama than the Leftovers. Evan Rachel Wood did not have a better performance this year than Carrie Coon. And how The Americans snuck into best writing for a pretty bad season of the show is beyond me.

I guess my problem with the Emmys is that if your show doesn't have a great first season with critical acclaim, you're hosed. The voters are not coming back. The only exception I can think of is Friday Night Lights when it just became embarrassing at one point.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

Sepinwall is way off here. The historical record is going to be the things that people are still buzzing about years after they ended, not the Emmys, and the Emmys have no effect on that anyway.

I think it's both. There are the occasional show such as The Wire that gets long-term praise despite Emmy voters not liking it. But I also think Emmy snubs can hurt people who create great stuff and are ignored. A nomination for The Leftovers could have gotten more people to talk about the show and try it out. Without it, maybe it just skirts into cult status for a small group of people who stuck with it.

I don't even care about Leftovers being left off as much as House of Cards being nominated because it turned into such a terrible show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

An example of a show the Emmys helped is Transparent. Would Amazon have kept going with it if it didn't win or get nominated for some awards? It was a tiny show on Amazon that few people had heard of before it started winning awards.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

snoremac posted:

Burned through this over the last week. Overall I like it, but have mixed feelings. I had no clue about the semi-reboot and was stunned by it, and thought it was a welcome change after the fairly humourless first season. Nora and Matt are excellent characters.

I feel like this show is a bad one to binge watch. Each season feels like it needs at least a couple months to sink in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ann Dowd won!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm going to need Max Richter in this too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I keep recommending it and people give me an "eh I don't know". Every single person who eventually watched it tells me they loved it and it's one of the best shows they've ever seen.

Dipshit reviewers who wanted to join the bandwagon really hurt this show early on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Season one is underappreciated because a couple big reviewers trashed the show early on. And since that whole industry is a giant circle jerk it led to every other reviewer parroting the same bullshit.

If you took dishits from AV Club out of the equation, people would have loved season one as much as the others.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Season 1 is pure Lindelof. Season 2 is him trying to appease critics. And Season 3 is him realizing he did and just going even further with stuff.

This isn't bad either as many reviewers have good taste. But listening to Lindelof give interviews it's clear he really cares a ton about what reviewers think about his show. Like he's obsessed with it. I'd have been interested in seeing the direction of the show if the Season 1 reviews were positive.

I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3 although I think they are all great. My issue with season 3 is they only had 8 episodes and wasted one of those on Sr's stroll through Australia. It also seemed like they had some major budget cuts to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One funny thing is they probably paid good money to have Janel Moloney play a catatonic character for two seasons and then had to cut her out for budget reasons.

• Locked thread