Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Damnit, I saw this thread on the first page and thought that the new season was starting up, especially since their big drama show Westworld had just ended n they usually have a replacement show right away. Disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores.

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story.

Yeah, I hear ya there. I loved Lost back when it aired, but when I try to think of the finale and if it even had any kind of impact on my overall feelings of the show as a whole, or what huge memorable, iconic moments it had, there really isn't all that much there. I remember they made as much an effort as they could to try to tie some of the countless, inconclusive and ever added-to mysteries, myths and histories together to make some kind of sense. What that sense is, I don't really remember any of, or really care that much. As for iconic moments, I remember that the Jack vs Locke "put a cork in it" final boss battle was cheesy af, all the cast got together to cry in church and a fat neckbeard inherited The Island so he could sit on the beach

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

One of my nitpicks with last season's finale - as good as it was - was that, on the anniversary of the Departure, the US Government would not have increased security at a national park directly connected to the event and known to attract zealots. We know the feds take a brute force approach to new wave religious movements in the post-Departure world (don't forget the ATFEC guy in Season 1 implied to Kevin that they could "took care" of Mapleton's GR branch,) you mean to tell me they really would not be in a perimeter around the park armed to the teeth, and that they'd entrust security to local law enforcement and a handful of park rangers? Or that they wouldn't mobilize troops as soon as somebody parked a suspected bomb on the bridge and initiated a countdown?

The opening scene was a nice resolution to my pedantry. They might not have been prepared for Meg's stunt, but they sure as hell weren't going to let it go.

For me it fit's perfectly with how the federal LE side of the government's been portrayed so far on this show, just as this insanely reactionary, sadistically vengeful entity. It's almost like they hope some of the cults get radical and threatening enough so they can gleefully smite them in biblical fashion.

sticklefifer posted:

Occam's Razor would say that after Evie blew up, Erika went a bit nuts over losing her child, stole Lily, and broke Nora's arm in the process. John was understandably upset at this and got together with Laurie, who found common ground over basically losing their respective families.

In regards to the new family structures, I liked the fake out they did with Tommie's line about "everyone's getting married these days" and having Michael as a brother, followed by it actually being Larie/John who had married and the daughter popping in to say "hi, bye, see ya later". The daughter/Michael romance subplot of last season was one of it's only missteps, it really served no purpose other than to give Michael some screentime/exposure to the audience, and while he's a very likeable character, that subplot just killed anything interesting the daughter had going on dead in it's tracks. That part of this episode sorta reminds me of how early on in last season the writers gifted us with that scene addressing viewer annoyance at "conflict created by non-communication" by having Nora and Kevin just blurt out all their secrets to eachother in the bluntest of manners. This one wasn't nearly as memorable, but it just shows how this show is so self aware about not wasting time with bullshit and not being scared to throw convention out the window to improve on previous flaws.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Every episode there's going to be a dog or dogs doing something suspicious looking in the background and the finale will have the dog denouement.

The twist better be that they're saving humanity, and the world, cuz dogs are good and mans best friend

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Maybe I'm the only one, but I really didn't care at all if Laurie killed herself(I barely cared about Laurie at all), and I've found this last season to be pretty underwhelming. I am hoping for a mind blowing finale though in the vein of International Assassin.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lilikoi posted:

If she was lying, and I think she was, this makes me feel so bad for Kevin. Sure she loves and misses him, but she still put him through hell for over a decade and all while talking to Laurie every few months. It seems so cruel that their happy ending didn't quite work for me.

Yeah, this final season basically ruined the character of Nora for me, which ruined so much else about this season as so much of it was devoted to her and the "love" story that she wasn't interested in even being a part of anymore, and I wasn't really interested in at all when it became clear she no longer considered Kevin any type of priority or someone even worth thinking about. I so wish they also did more with John, who was such a commanding presence in season two and one of the biggest reasons why it was such a stellar season of television, but he was basically relegated to cameo support this season for whatever bizarre reason. Maybe his actor had the least clout/shittiest agent out of the main adult cast? Or the writers are just that inept this latest season?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

oliwan posted:

A good post.

Yeah it was, and I liked the first two seasons, and didn't start hating the third til the second half of the season.

SLOSifl posted:

This mirrors Kevin's journey perfectly. Her answer was Kevin, and his answer was Nora.

Her actions contradict this though, they even contradict the idea that she had completed her journey moving beyond her grief and guilt, and found any type of inner peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So unless I missed something during the episode that made my following conjecture obvious and moot, Laurie had to have told Kevin at some point that Nora was alive and where she was. Admittedly I was frustrated with the episode, so could have missed this originally. I do remember thinking "what kind of rear end in a top hat would let someone they care about go on wondering about the fate of one of the person they love" but in retrospect I could see Laurie not telling him for awhile just cuz of thinking Nora may cause him to go back to acting crazy again, but finally realizing that letting him know would be best for both of them, and even maybe coaching him in the whole way he approached her.

• Locked thread