Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

esperterra posted:

Season 1 may be my favourite season, just going off of memory tbh. It had some of the best moments of the series, like when the GR replaces all the departed family members with those burial bodies.

Whenever I get around to rewatching I'll rank 'em again and see where 1 sits.

I actually wasn't super down for that because I LOVED the burial bodies when they first show up as this incredibly morbid joke about just how hosed up the grieving process is in this world, like John Edward taken about 1000 levels further. Making it plot-related was, like, "cute," but also kind of ruined the magic of the bit for me.

JethroMcB posted:

I loved Season 1...except for "BJ and the AC," which is a pretty bad episode (Maybe the show's only?) Also I think a lot of people were turned off by the extended Guilty Remnant scenes. "Buhhh they aren't talking, I don't wanna have to pay attention and read their body language/facial expressions!"

Oh, and pairing S1 with the (abysmal) last season of True Blood was a monumentally poor programming choice by HBO. I get that they were probably thinking "put the new supernatural drama with the old," but one was a campy soap about literal monsters while the other was a small, quiet show about despair and grief; a tonal mismatch that probably didn't reach the audience they had hoped for.

Didn't BJ and the AC have insane production problems that were related in a Sepinwall interview?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Noara-hooker-shooting scene would have played a lot better if it had let into the Season 2 theme rather than the garbage from Season 1.
Season 1 had some amazing moments of black comedy, the first of which is the scene where Jill mimes hanging herself.

• Locked thread