Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Carnivale was also loving bizarre and occasionally extremely uncomfortable to watch, and I say that as someone who loved Carnivale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

Well I mean, without it there would be 5 more episodes instead of 6. It's not like there was an extra episode they canceled to make this one.

Whenever I see people bitching about filler, I just think of the S1 thread and how it was packed with people complaining about how various plot threads were pointless and irrelevant that ended up paying off big time later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Season 1 was definitely improved by watching after the fact, if only because I had people telling me that plot threads would be resolved and all that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, I like to think Nora wasn't lying, just because I love the idea of alternate Jarden being a deserted ghost town and there being a 14 person ton in the outback that only lost an egg.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I rewatched the end of the series again, and I have to say, The Most Powerful Man In The World (And His Twin Brother) is basically a perfect finale. If the show ended there I would have been very happy. I liked that it wasn't the finale, though. A lot of the show revolves around moving on, or not moving on. Coming back to Nora, who thinks she's moved on, and Kevin, who knows he hasn't, and closing out their story on a hopeful note was perfect. The show kept the mystery of the Departure intact while giving a plausible and satisfying answer at the same time, and it did the same for Kevin and Nora. I really appreciated how well put together it all was.

Niwrad posted:

Liv Tyler is a perfectly fine actress but she is on the same show as Carrie Coon and Ann Dowd who are on another level.

I think she got better when she stopped trying to understand Meg as a character and just did the scenes as written (as per some interview somewhere). Meg is such a hosed up human being that I don't think she knew why she was doing what she was doing most of the time, and I think that once Tyler embraced that it worked a lot better.

E: I can also understand why people would be so certain Laurie killed herself, but really, when I first saw the episode I wasn't sure she did. The intro has her making an attempt and backing out at the last second because of a conversation right before. Once she picked up the phone and talked to her kids I didn't think she was going to go through with it.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 15, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tomapot posted:

Going back a bit she had done really strong scenes in Southland.

If you liked this series, you'd probably like Southland too. Both have really, really strong character work and are willing to give that a lot of time to breathe and develop.

It's also a really realistic police show that doesn't sacrifice a really strong narrative. I was really annoyed when it was cancelled.

Also, I would watch the gently caress out of Patrick Stewart being a loony with dynamite on the Leftovers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lord Krangdar posted:

I seem to remember a real movie sorta like this with Patrick Stewart, except instead of dynamite he was a retired, partially senile intelligence agent who kept threatening to release damaging information. There was even some sort of raid on his house, like that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpObUPEJpg

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lord Krangdar posted:

Awesome, thanks! I've been trying to remember the name of that movie for a while.

I just remembered "Patrick Stewart" and "you fuckers will kill all my lilies!" and it turns out there is a very narrow venn diagram between those two terms.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

The fact House of Cards gets so many nominations shows that voters are not watching much outside of a handful of popular shows.

I dunno if it speaks to what they've been watching or severe brain damage, but that show has fallen off a cliff since the end of season 3. It used to be great, but now it's loving unwatchable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, bear in mind just the upcoming anniversary of it was enough to make a French dude do nude yoga to nuke an island in the pacific. "How about you kill yourself and see what happens" doesn't seem that weird in context.

Especially when the answer to that in the past has been "some weird poo poo, then I wake up"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aexo posted:

Fixed that for you.

I liked The Wire and Carnivale, but this is both more accessible and more human. The wire may speak to some political truths, but it’s long and to be honest more than a little boring. Carnivale is great and complex but really difficult to follow.

The Leftovers is 3 seasons, and it’s about very human feelings of loss and grief and confusion right off the bat. Almost every performance is amazing, too.

It’s also one of the rare shows with a central mystery that sticks the landing at the end, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

UmOk posted:

I don't know episode names. Which one was BJ and the AC? And why is it worse?

I think it’s the one where Nora is at the conference and her badge got stolen. I dunno, though, I liked it just fine. It was kind of disjointed but it felt like it was disjointed in an intentional way that matched with Nora’s headspace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

It's actually the one where Kevin rescues baby Jesus lol. I didn't mind that one either though. It's slow and weird

Oh, I absolutely loved that one.

• Locked thread