Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Every review I have read so far is super positive on season 3. Nothing but unqualified praise. Can't way to see how they manage to do that after the high bar set by season 2.

HanabaL03 posted:

Wait, Ann Dowd wasn't even nominated for her season 2 performance? No one on the show was?

Carrie Coon won a critics choice award. But that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The parts of this episode that were like "Hey let's justify why like six major characters from the previous seasons probably won't be around anymore" felt a little awkward to me, particularly the sudden missile strike. It kind of felt like something out of a different show to me.

Otherwise I dug it.

That the government gives absolute no fucks about massacring cults and the guilty remnant is something that has been long established in the show.

On an unrelated note, brilliant casting for the starting sequence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millerism

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I forget, what happened to Erika again? Did she die in that explosion in the S2 finale (only watched it once).

She was about to leave John at the end of S2.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is it going to be an atomic explosion? After all, the guy at the airport was freaking out over nuclear fall out.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I agree with being the least favorite.

One thing that I do have questions about is why didn't Laurie show the picture of the person Kevin thought was Evie? Or at least mention it?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Any recommendations for podcasts that talk about the Leftovers? I've only listened to Lindelof episodes of the Watch but would love some more stuff. Especially if it's whole episodes about the Leftovers or episodes of the show!

Bald move is the best podcast out of all the ones i tried.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

Kevin never met the Australian Sheriff Kevin and also never met Cristopher Sunday. Yet there they were in the hotel world/afterlife.

I forget if he saw a news report or not on the sheriff but I know he's never shown seeing a picture or meeting Christopher Sunday.

Edit: Ok he apparently did see Sunday. I must Have missed that somewhere.

Kevin Sr. showed Kevin Jr. the body of Australian Sheriff Kevin.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

She got to do more with less in Fargo, probably because it was a shorter series and more planned out than The Leftovers which left her more room to do nuanced stuff within those plans, which she is entirely capable of doing and is more impressive than responding to an evolving narrative (*).

Just my opinion (and I guess the nomination committee but who knows what their specific rationale was).

(*) I'm not saying she didn't do a great job in The Leftovers too, I'm just saying her performance in Fargo was more impressive.

Considering fargo and leftovers are on different categories, all of this is irrelevant. Coon didn't get snubbed because they liked her on Fargo more. She got snubbed because they liked Robin Wright more. I'd love to see you defend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Speaking of rewatch, I started mine and have to say that the first season is really underappreciated. So many small bits of world-building that the deep focus on individual characters in later seasons don't really have room for. From high school parties being just a bit more extreme to Matt's church losing members, these are just some really well crafted changes that are within "normal" bounds that make sense.

• Locked thread