Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

LOST messed a lot of people up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I'd be happy either way if they reveal what happened, though there seems to be a lot of evidence suggesting they won't.

I hope we continue to get more Administrative Decay in this final season. I want to see the fallout of the Event resulting in countries going to war against each other for no reason other than to cleanse the vermin or precious bodily fluids.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought that the Season 2 criticism posts were jokes until I hit page 4 and found out you morons actually believe it

LOST really messed a lot of people up

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Starting my rewatch, I miss Dog Man and Aimee

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Season 1 is much better as a binge show, on Ep 3 now

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sad and wrong!

I meant in comparison to the first time I watched it, S2 is the better season

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forgot how much fun watching God making GBS threads on Ned Flanders Matt was!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah LOST screwed a lot of people up. Anyway, I'm enjoying S1 much more than I did the first time around, I suspect I will start to hate Meg more again

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't even know about that epilogue and I was a huge LOST fan, thanks for that post

I'm on Ep 5 now, I'd forgotten about Kevin's mystery call from the ATF&C guy who's name came up on the caller ID then switched to "Unknown" when he started getting weird and talking about eliminating infestations

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jeez take it easy buddy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forgot that Dog Man was investigated by the GR and they couldn't find anything on him

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finished Season 1 and enjoyed it a lot more this time around, I'm upgrading it from Good to Very Good.

Onto Season 2 now, I'd forgotten how creepy Happy John was

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There was so much stuff I'd forgotten about for Season 1 that I'm annoyed I didn't rewatch last season.

For example, the car load of women that stop to ask Kevin if he's ready when he's sitting on the side of the road in a white shirt smoking, several hours before the Departure.

Or the guy at the hostel trying to kill Christine in order to kill the baby because "[he] knows what's in there!"

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 11, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I forgot that Tommy knew the detail of Holy Wayne dying in a gas station bathroom... how did he know that? I assumed his story about meeting him and Wayne hugging him was bullshit, but we left Tommy just as he found the baby iirc

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great read!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Leftovers Season 3: I don’t even like Simon and Garfunkel

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished S2E5 and the actress who is in charge of the stocks was exceptionally terrible at acting, it stood out very badly. I'm not sure why they went with the take that they did

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

clown shoes posted:

Someone should make a thread for The Leftovers so we can keep it out of this LOST thread.

Eh, Leftovers is basically a more refined, better version of Lost, so it's natural there would be chat before the season starts.

Midway through Season 2, I appreciate both seasons in different ways now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

International Assassin is so drat good, everything about it is awesome

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There are so many little details in it, from the Mercedes car that the girls drove to the fake 60's neck break, you can tell they had a really good time with it

Edit: When Little Girl Patti tells Virgil that Kevin is going to push her into the well, Virgil transforms into Happy Neighbor John

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The music during the Hotel scenes is great and the contrast between tone and the scenes causes me to laugh

Almost done the rewatch, I even enjoyed Meg this season

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any non-spoiler speculation on how the show might end? Finishing the second season today, I thought everyone returning without explanation would be pretty bittersweet.

That or the departed and more appear, I've always thought a multi-universe thing could be going on since Dean "The man with no past" Dogman

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maybe it will just go black because we the viewer have departed :aaaaa:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

Although when I saw the first trailer for this season I though the part with everyone in different locations looking up at the sky in shock was possibly the sun going out, since that's the only thing I can think of that would cause people all around the world to react that way at the same time.

Or aliens :tinfoil:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like to think Wayne smiled because he realized Kevin was going to raise his daughter

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really, really, really enjoyed that episode and cannot figure out what that last scene could mean.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm thinking the point of the "Sarah" part was to let us know from the beginning that the world is not actually ending in 13 days.

The world already ended

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As much as I'm sad to see Dean go, it was a good way to show how Kevin has changed (or maybe just how far he could have gone in another direction, like Dean)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah it's really very good in a messed up LOST echo way and I love it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

And again they hit the tie-in throughout the seasons; season 1 all of the Perfect Strangers cast departed, season 2 they found Mark Linn-Baker hiding out in Mexico, this episode he's the one that contacts Nora.

I wish that it was the FRIENDS cast that disappeared and only David Schwimmer was left behind whining about it. He's HBO alumni too.

Onomarchus posted:

Maybe I shouldn't do this.

The trampoline scene showed that Nora is capable of childlike joy (though not enough for some total catharsis) even though her experiences have left her with a core of meanness and anger. (Go look at Lens for more of mean Nora. Also, Nora was mean, not to mention self-centered, to Tommy first before he replied in a mean way.)

Another interpretation I'm not as sure of: these days trampolines are considered as dangerous as all get out, so Nora could have easily broken an appendage again. Nevertheless, she went and used it for momentary relief. This also says something about Erika, who is in the medical field and presumably knows something about trampoline injury rates.

I don't know about anyone else, but during the trampoline scene I kept thinking "What if she doesn't come back into frame?" whenever Laura disappeared. It was ridiculous, but in the Leftovers universe...

Anyway, the episode was fantastic. The Wu Tang Band tattoo reveal was amazing and in tone with the series. I'm a bit disappointed that Kevin isn't actually killing himself daily and visiting the hotel, but he could have lied to Laura about pulling off the bag before he dies- because maybe he never dies?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 26, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I'm wondering if the Nora we see at the end of 301 is post-microwaved Nora? Maybe she tries it, ends up with the 2%?

I thought about that too, a world exactly like ours except 98% of people are missing. It's been an idea tossed around a few times a season, I guess we might see

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like how the first episode set us up to expect Kevin Sr at the end but gave us Nora, then this episode switched them out

I'm easily impressed!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Apparently any character that Carrie Coon plays on TV has terrible luck with technology. This week her character on Fargo had very similar issues with a phone and a door sensor. Weird.

Is this season similar to Season 2 where it has nothing to do with the first season? I tried getting into that show but made it 1.x episodes and couldn't stand it, but apparently Season 2 is great

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The guy who claims he came back from the dead and the afterlife is a hotel is almost certainly Box from The Night Of, the guy on the bridge/ at the bar

I think he and Kevin are similar to one another, dipping in and out of life

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What hat was Kev Sr wearing in the desert?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The entire scene with Grace (?) and Kevin Sr made me think two very sad, desperate people were willing to grab any meaning from anything they could find to help fill their lives, especially the reverence that she treated the torn paper with at first. By the end she seems to have realized her mistake and is willing to accept reality, but then Kevin pulls her right back in to Crazytown!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also, a short interview with Scott Glenn, (maybe?) spoilers ahead!

HBO: You have a cameo in Season 2, Episode 8 “International Assassin.” Did you know at the time what part you would play in the larger story?

Scott Glenn: No. Later, I thought back on my first conversation with Damon before I went to New York for the first season. I asked him to tell me about Kevin, Sr. He said there are three types of prophets: "false prophets, crazy prophets, and real prophets; you’re a real prophet." He said, “If there is one you want to think about, think about Moses. I think your character is going to go on some type of walkabout.”

HBO: Can you give us a clue about what the rest of the series holds for Kevin Sr.?

Scott Glenn: Life ain’t going to get easier.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

You sound so confident. How do you know this for sure beyond Grace's last name thing?

Future Nora bikes to the monastery to drop off the pigeons and the lady had an Australian accent, iirc

I want to know what's in those notes

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

We were talking about the season's prologue with the Millerites.

Wasn't the place Nora was visiting to get the dovse the same place as the Millerites? :confused:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can see the series ending with Nora Sarah going home and Kevin is hiding away in their house, crazy and pathetic, after either doing something or seemingly doing something miraculous in the Current timeline and a religion for him emerging from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*Throws beer bottle on the floor and punches the wall*

*sobs*

• Locked thread