Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She was also a minor character in Quarry, like Niwrad said, but you shouldn't watch that show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She was also in a little show called True Detective that some people liked

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great episode, the scene at the hotel with the fire going on in the background was great. Kevin and Nora are out of their minds and they're realizing the broken pieces don't fit.

Any sources that have translations for what the doctors were saying?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Spoilers from Season 3 Trailer and interview with author of the original novel:

I'm leaning towards The End of the World, with fanatics starting WW3 based on the submariners we saw and the man detonating an explosive. Perrotta talked about how it seems to be human nature to wish for the end of the world, with each generation thinking that they'll be the last ones. I think that the Where is going to be an identical world to ours, maybe mysteriously emptied, and that Nora is going to go through. Also based on the trailer, it looks like Kevin Jr is going back to the hotel or at least the Land of the Dead, I'm wondering what his goal is going to be.

Or, you know, nothing will happen and LOST really messed me up

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

They should have just gone with the awesome Pixies piano cover they bordered on over-using last season

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

tomapot posted:

Guys, I think I'm loosing it. I'm at my daughter's school concert and I think I'm seeing Evie.

I would be pissed if my minor kid was having a picture posted by someone online

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Have you heard of Facebook?

Absolutely!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

A bit of narrative frustration with this one. Why wouldn't Matt, who believes himself to be a potential author of the New New Testament, not ask a guy who has allegedly gone through the exact same thing as Kevin about his experience?

Wasn't Jesus just one of several people claiming to be the son of God of a virginal birth at the time?

Anyway, I think David and Kevin are both part of a new type of human that can bounce between life and death. In International Assassin we also saw a female doctor speaking Spanish and others in the background. I don't think they're common, but they aren't Jesus Christ unique.

I also wonder if the 2% that disappeared tie into this newly developed ability :tinfoil:

Edit: Also, Matt Episode delivers. Matt is a great character, I'm glad that they felt it was worth using 1/8 episodes for him!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

The only explanations are God or aliens. I'll say aliens

Author interview spoilers!

In some interview Perrotta mentioned that he was interested in what could happen if enough people wished those in the lives away or something. IIRC they played this up in Season 1 a bit. It could very well be a sci fi, latent human psychic ability thing :shrug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kevin regretting his sudden infidelity, Laurie doubting her relationship in the early stages of pregnancy

Hell, even Jill could have wanted to win that Science Fair so bad!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Agronox posted:

I have this sneaking suspicion that the show's going to end on a smash to black seconds before the anniversary of the departure.

They've already teased us with that final scene in the first episode this season, I think *something* will happen, but that would be a great ending

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"I told Abraham to kill Issac to see what he would do" is one of the funniest lines I've heard in a show in a long time

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The show is pretty heavily influenced by Picnic at Hanging Rock, which had an explanation at the end but then later had that chapter removed

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What was the explanation?

It was sort of like that sequel to The Lady and the Tiger, it created more questions than answers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was Damon Lindelof the one who was really into The Dark Tower series? I wonder if they would pull something similar to its ending where the screen goes black and 30 seconds and gives viewers the opportunity to walk away and "let the mystery be" before showing where they went

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tonight I'm going to hopefully get my partner into watching the show, so I may end up missing out on the rest of the season with you guys if she enjoys it

Just remember that I said "Yeah, LOST and The Leftovers really messed a lot of people up" when the screen goes to black, no matter what happens

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That dog was one of the best characters in the series- loyal enough to make sure Kevin was okay, smart enough to get the Hell away from him

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My partner's reaction to the Pilot was "That was better than I thought it would be", which is a good sign, so I think that means I'll be watching the finale in about a month and a half!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah but it's the one that has "Can I get you something to drink? Coffee... tea... ... ... Draino?"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have the piano version of Where Is My Mind in my playlist for driving to work

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished the last two episodes last night and feel very satisfied, but then I woke up to the nightmare that is this thread

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did anyone ever translate what the Mexican doctor was saying in International Assassin?

Also, what was the Russian guy saying in "Most Powerful Man"?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

You have to be less than human to have believed for an instant that Nora was lying

Yeah you'd have to be a dog idk

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, reading about what they had planned to film made me really want to see it, but I can appreciate the way they chose instead

Plus it was much cheaper

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

But let's not forget what Lindelof said about shooting the first scene of the show, with the woman in the car. Someone from the crew said "what if we shot it another way, too, from the perspective of the baby, and mom is gone?" and they didn't do that, only because they were losing light. Since then, that idea stuck in his head.

Also, I'd like to think that in the other world, there was finally a full Perfect Strangers reunion show.

Plus it's a nice callback to LOST: even back in Season 1 people were suggesting that maybe the 98% disappeared from the point of view of the 2%, just like LOST ended with them all in purgatory, like what people were theorizing during the first season of that show

:grin:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I should mention that I have a BA in English and this MA English guy is one of my favorite characters in recent memory, and I know good characters *nods towards unread copy of Ulysses on shelf and wiggles eyebrows*

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This feels like the True Detective thread, only before the foot stamping and clenched fists

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

What happened there? Seemed like a great show.

Remember that kid who did really well on the Math test because he was sitting next to the smartest kid in class, but then the teacher changed the seating arrangement?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh, Nicky Pizzas...

Yeah, that kid! Well he flunked his next test so his parents got him a tutor. I'm really looking forward to Season 3!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I assumed he was one of the college kids that jumped

I think I read in the books he watched a couple jump, but those scars.

Anyway, it was never referenced again outside the pilot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also I found Season 2 of TD to be adequate, but it had the potential to be great

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was there any significance to that issue of National Geographic, in the end?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think the real hero of this show has gotten his due

P.Lyon, the man who saved the world from Cthulu and averted the apocalypse

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am the one who called Liv Tyler a bad actress but I've rewatched the series twice since then and have revaluated everything I thought about the first season

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My fan theory for Jill is that she unexpectedly encounters one of the twins from the first season at university and they get married, similar to the ending of the book

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Seems up in the air at the moment. HBO representatives have hemmed and hawed to the press in a very noncommittal way about how they'd love to bring it back, every time with a clear subtext of "But we aren't keen on giving Pizzolatto free reign as writer and producer again." Pizzolatto, meanwhile, recently revealed that he's got two scripts ready for a potential third season - scripts that David Milch had a hand in writing. He would be a part of the show's creative team going forward.

I thought season 2 was fine for what it was: a pulpy, kinda trashy crime drama. Certainly not as good as season 1 (Too many protagonists, which in turn produced an unfocused narrative,) but entertaining enough.

Hey I know this derail is from a while back but I got around to watching John from Cincinnati the other day and couldn't believe it was greenlit, let alone given a whole season. Deadwood was amazing, but JfC had dialogue like that which no human has ever spoken, it was like aliens imitating an HBO show. That doesn't make me feel so confident about Season 3

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Leftovers novel came in at the library, I'm looking forward to reading it! Having just read the prologue as an appetizer while I finish another novel, the actress and writers really seemed to capture Laurie's tone pre-GR

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Every interview I've read with Perrotta makes it seem like he didn't like the ending very much and really wants people to lean towards the Lying option

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I enjoyed it in Deadwood, it was just really bad in JfC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I seriously miss this show

• Locked thread