Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finally got around to listening to a podcast with Damon Lindelof and though a lot of it wasn't new, one of the interesting things I learned was the influence The Wizard of Oz and Superman 2 had on the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess Superman 2 was the one where he almost gave up his powers to be with Lois Lane (I honestly cannot remember).

Kevin knows that "he has one foot out the door" and will never totally be engaged with Nora, as seen in his newfound plastic bag hobby, so giving it up completely with Patti's help was his way of permanently walking away from it.

The interview is here, it's towards the end iirc

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

I wouldn''t exactly say it helped. That show had a great first season, then it slowly turned into a dumpster fire.

It was always garbage, it was a Cargo Cult HBO show that even Jeffrey Tambor couldn't save

Based on the previews it looks like a decent chunk of the cast will be in HBO's Room 104

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The other possibility being that Kevin and Patty sacrificed Hotel World and saved Real World and now Kevin and others like him are mortal

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

snoremac posted:

True. Him seeing the Muslim girl as Evie was clearly his own delusion. As someone who appreciated the character more as someone with a serious mental health issue I was just hating everyone towards the end because they were effectively asking him to suicide over Kevin Snr's ridiculous rain dance fantasy, and this wasn't portrayed as a potentially insane thing to be doing beyond Laurie's meagre protests.

By semi-reboot I meant the setting change in season 2.

The Great Departure unhinged everyone for a little while, a lot of people went crazy and it almost caused the end of the world

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I still cannot believe how well they pulled off the ending. I'm glad they did the Choose your own Explanation without going too far into details for the What and never even tried to answer the Why or How.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It blows my mind how well The Handmaid's Tale, a firm B/ B+, did when The Leftovers was the far superior show

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also, in case anyone wants to listen to a podcast very much in line with this show, here is a link to an episode of This American Life. The first act is about a non-functional phone booth that a Japanese man installed so that he could "call" his cousin, whom he spoke to daily, after they died in the tsunami. Eventually word spread about this phone booth, and people from all over came to call their loved ones. A journalist installs a microphone and camera, and listens to what people say.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Leftovers will go down as one of HBO's greatest shows that people didn't watch at the time, in line with or greater than The Wire.

I seriously did not expect to be saying that after how I responded to the first season. Since that time I've suffered several personal loses and the world has witnessed the insanity that is the Trump presidency. The show makes a lot more sense to me than it once did, and I can honestly accept Meg as a Good Character. What didn't make sense about her to me is clearer now, and though she is the villain of the series, her motivations make sense to me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess I shouldn't have unbookmarked this thread, though I'm more than happy to read more about The Leftovers since I cannot get my family to watch it!

I was one of the guys in the Season 1 thread that didn't really like the show, but after a couple rewatches I've grown to love it, even the baby Jesus episode. That last scene with Kevin driving in the truck with the doll and then deciding to chuck it out on the side of the road packs a punch.

Also add me to the list of people who want a complete series box set. The Season 2 media package for the show came with maps, a vial of water, and a badge for Miracle, I want something along those lines!

• Locked thread