Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

oliwan posted:

I'm sorry, but the lost ending was the worst ending to anything i have ever read or seen. I say this with a postgraduate degree in literature.

I might not be able to ever get a job in my field, or any job, but at least i get to have very confident opinions about stories.
I enjoyed the finale and I have a degree in film & television writing and several years of industry job experience, so :lol: at thinking education applies to something that's completely a matter of opinion and personal taste.

Octy posted:

While we're (sort of) on the topic, Michael Gaston is in everything. I re-watched The Leftovers a couple weeks back and since then I've noticed him popping up in about a half dozen shows I watch.
He's in a ton of sci-fi. Also his IMDB picture is him standing with Trump, which is an odd choice at best.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

oliwan posted:

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores.

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story.
I didn't say it was "great", I said I enjoyed it. My main gripe was flaunting your only tangentially-related education as if it makes personal opinion hold more weight, especially with me having a different opinion and a more directly related career. I actually did have major issues with the pacing of S6 in general (the misdirection of the flashes being caused by Jughead instead of being completely unrelated, the Temple plot slowing everything way down, the 'sideways' world unnecessarily padding itself out when it could've been compressed entirely into the finale or maybe one scene per episode). The format of the season was poorly planned and executed, despite having some great content and scenes spread throughout.

The finale itself being the culmination of all the stories they had been building was satisfying to me on both a plot and especially character level. The characters completed their arcs for the most part, their reconnecting and recognizing each other was genuinely heartfelt in many scenes (Juliet/Sawyer especially), and while the magic buttplug device was a bit goofy from a production standpoint, the island stuff was all brought full circle too. So yeah, not great, but satisfying to me. Especially since I was a huge contributor to theory threads here and had several of my theories confirmed by the show over the years, but more because I was invested in the characters more than the plot by the end.

Looking forward to The Leftovers starting back up though, because it'd be cool to have more than Lost and dick chat here.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Any adaptation of House of Leaves, if Danielewski ever lets it happen, needs to be based solely on The Navidson Record and not the rest, because finding the documentary is what sparks the story. Adding the outside stuff feels like cheating the book.

I appreciated the detail on the news that October 14th is October 15th in Australia. I think Carrie Coon might be my current favorite actor and I'm pleased as punch that she's on Fargo now too. Nora episodes are so good.

oliwan posted:

Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.
And like I said before, I have a degree in writing for television and I've been working in the industry for several years. So if you literally believe qualifications are an objective authority, you have to defer to me when I say you're a colossal donkus and you should stop bringing this up, because both of our qualifications mean exactly jack poo poo on matters of personal taste.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 26, 2017

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Professor Shark posted:

Deadwood was amazing, but JfC had dialogue like that which no human has ever spoken, it was like aliens imitating an HBO show. That doesn't make me feel so confident about Season 3

Deadwood's dialogue was written as Shakespearean drama.

You wouldn't get it if you don't have an MA in Lit. :smug:

• Locked thread