Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sober posted:

Depends on what you liked about LOST (other than the character work). If you liked the more action-adventure style aspect I would maybe suggest some of Once Upon a Time?

I feel like Westworld was a pretty good successor to LOST in that respect: mixing mystery, drama, action-adventure, and revelatory backstories together.

I had actually forgot that OUaT actually used the "featured character backstory flashback" formula like LOST as well; it's actually a pretty solid show although a little cheesy and formulaic so my wife and I dropped it after a few seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Lindelof (and the Bad Robot crew in general) has a deeply hokey vein of pseudo spiritual good times bullshit that runs through his work. I've always found it deeply unsatisfying and arbitrary, and I'd rather the show resist that urge.

Lindelof's whole oeuvre (specifically the early parts of LOST, Prometheus, and this) deals pretty heavily with how some of the biggest mysteries in life are basically unknowable and either you are a fool for asking or you won't like/understand the answer you get.

I think LOST tried to answer stuff mainly because the network mandated it and the audience expected it but I don't think that was ever really the "point" of the show. Like the answer to "why is there a magical island" or "how/why did 500 million people vanish into thin air" is always going to be either "magic" or "psuedo-science that is effectively magic". The more compelling thing is seeing how people take in this information and react to it/fit it into their whole worldview.

Basically there's no way they try to "explain" the departure in a way that doesn't just open up a million more questions.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

UmOk posted:

Also the bullet that went through Kevin wasn't a Bullet. It was a drug.

Not only did the two main families not lose anyone in the departure but none of the significant GR characters did either. Patti, Meg, Kevin-wife.

Meg is the worst. She's not even a believer. Just really vindictive.

Kevin-wife did lose her unborn child.

Meg is so blatantly the worst. Her whole character boils down to the season 1 episode where she spends the afternoon loving with people GR-style, then attacks Matt when he shows up with the pamphlet about her (effectively the same exact thing), then delights in how they're going to gently caress with people even harder. The only flaw in her character is that they could make it more explicit why anyone even follows her; it's probably that she offers them the freedom to gently caress with people then act like victims/martyrs when there is reprisal. I love her last scene in season 2 where she starts singing her triumphant little "I just hosed with the entire town :smug:" song and Kevin just wanders away.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ausmund posted:

They behaved more like college kids on summer break

That's because it's a slasher movie in space. It's not a coincidence that that one dude gets killed immediately after turning his space helmet into a bong.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ruddiger posted:

That was my favorite joke of the episode.

Was really hoping for some hot Kevin on Kevin action when he finally confronted himself, much like Walter and David from Alien: Covenant.

I mean he did put his entire hand inside him...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol apparently I'm a spoopy fyad boogeyman because I point out that the plot developments past the book material are hackish at best and completely contrary to everything good about the first season

Nah but it is baffling why you and oliwan watched 10 hours of season 2 you didn't like then started season 3 and realized it was basically the same as season 2 then still watched 7 hours then came into a thread right before the series finale to talk about how everything sucks repeatedly. Like go ahead and discuss whatever you want but FYI the people still in the thread literally 96% of the way through the series are fans and are going to react to you saying stuff sucks 4 days before the end of it.

At least your posts tho are 100 times better than oliwan who was updating us week to week about how dumb and bad he thought it was "but I guess I'll still watch the next 6 hours anyway" while repeatedly and embarrassingly appealing to his own authority with his MA in literature

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

Whoa someone doesn't like this show that has been totally ignored by awards and gets 700k viewers every week... well wat DOES he like???

You're one of those 700k you lunatic. Why not spend your time watching and discussing all of these actually good shows instead of spending hours out of your week watching a show you hate and fishing for insults in here so you can act like a victim?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol Mattlibs

I'm gonna miss this show

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Kevin's old age makeup is way better than Nora's.

I just said the same thing to my wife

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

Well I've already wasted like 20 hours of my life on seasons 2 and 3, a little more won't be so bad

If only people had repeatedly suggested that you not waste more of your time by watching an entirety of a season for a show you clearly don't like :jerkbag:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

Some from the top of my head: The Wire, Fargo (Season 2), Mad Men, Better Call Saul

Some bold picks here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

You guys should read up on your Barthes and your Foucault if you're​ bringing the authors into it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

Thank god you have your MA in literature and can educate us plebs. What day in your courses did you learn about Death of the Author? Day 1 or did they save it all the way until the beginning of day 2??

• Locked thread