Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

From the trailer. Why does this look familiar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Also the bullet that went through Kevin wasn't a Bullet. It was a drug.

Not only did the two main families not lose anyone in the departure but none of the significant GR characters did either. Patti, Meg, Kevin-wife.

Meg is the worst. She's not even a believer. Just really vindictive.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Megs mother died in the restaurant and Meg missed her last words cause she was getting high in the restroom.

If Kevin was shot by a real bullet how did he go to the Hotel California drug coma?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Klungar posted:

Meg was also mad that nobody cared about her grieving of her mother because the Departure stole her thunder.

Exactly. She's the most petty, lovely, character on the show. And thus is a show with a lot of hosed up people.

That's something I like about this show compared to the Walking Dead. Both shows are full of psychos but only one acknowledges it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Season 1 was much better. Almost nothing is explained and the whole thing is really left up to the viewer to interpret. Season 2 had its big mystery revealed at the end and kind of ruined the whole "Let the Mystery be." I still think both seasons are the best TV I have even seen.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Last Chance posted:

The mystery they wanted you to "let be" is the sudden departure hth

That's a pretty limited view of the show. Are you expecting every other unexplained thing to be wrapped up?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Last Chance posted:

What? I'm just talking about the intro where the woman is singing about people disappearing while visuals of disappeared people are splashed across the screen.

Yeah. I don't think the intro song is referring specifically to the departure only. It's about all the unusual occurrences in the show. But like I said: the show is ambiguous enough to let veiwers create thier own viewpoints.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Season 2 was still good. I love that Jarden has its own version of Kevin. But instead of a hosed up cop, it's a hosed up fireman.
Both trying to deal with feeling powerless while being the authority of their respective communities. Both have daughters that join the GR. I'm sure there is more similarities.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

oliwan posted:

I mean, let me put it this way:

Season 1 is an exploration of universal and very human themes like loss, faith, and identity. It does this through a nightmare-like scenario lifted from folklore and lots of other narratives, but in a believable and non-sensational way. It doesn't try to pull any punches and looks to real world examples of how cults and religions work as to offer a fresh look that has something to say about what makes us human.

Season 2 has a magical negro in a cabin at the edge of a magical town who guides the protagonist through purgatory, which is a literally a hotel. The magical negro guide to the afterlife is called Virgil.

You're season 2 critisism only works if you think there is magic happening and not just delusions of crazy people.

Doesn't one of the characters actually address the magical negros issue? It seems like imaginary Pattie said something about it but I could be wrong.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

And the s2 title sequence is very obviously about the departure hence the images the song is juxtaposed with.

Correct. It is about the departure. Is it only allowed to be about one specific thing? I would argue the intro is also saying something about Lost.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I thought that the Season 2 criticism posts were jokes until I hit page 4 and found out you morons actually believe it

LOST really messed a lot of people up

What?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I'm rewatching season one right now. It's really fun to rewatch when you don't have to wait week-by-week and you already know where the characters end up. The first Matt-focused episode: ep 3, "Two Boats and a Helicopter" is loving crazy. I forget that Matt smashes his assailant's face into the fuckin ground. Lmao

I really like how twisted the roles of these characters are. Cop that hides bodies, firefighter that starts fire, Priest that certainly doesn't turn the other cheek.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

drunkill posted:

The reading room of the State Library of Victoria. Might have seen it in another show or movie?

Yeah. Exactly what I was thinking.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

axeil posted:

I disagree. I really like Meg because she's broken just like everyone else, except she's expressed it as trolling everyone and being a gigantic rear end in a top hat instead of trying to drown yourself in a lake or attacking anyone religious and burning down their house.

edit: also Meg is arguably sadder than anyone else because her entire goal is for people to not forget about something that didn't even have an impact on her. She's survivor's guilt taken out to infinity. She's additionally an interesting insight into how people end up radicalizing themselves when they believe they're unquestionable.

Also I liked both seasons. I liked all of Season 1 and thought the ending was okay not great. I thought most of Season 2 was meh until International Assassin and I loved that the ending was giant middle finger to everyone in Jarden who thought they were special. The GR are a depressed teenager wailing that "it's not okay, no one is special" and actually being right.

Meg is not really a believer. She's just being vindictive and using the GR to get her vengeance or whatever.

And the funny thing about the GR is that none of them had family members lost in the departure. Pattie, Meg, Evy and Laurie. They are mad because they aren't special.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Patties husband choked on a chicken bone. Megs mom died the day before the departure. Evy lived in a town where no one departed. Laurie lost a wad of meat growing in her stomach.

I think Nora may be the only cast member who really lost anything in the departure.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Did anybody say season 2 was bad? Pretty sure a lot of poster just said they like 1 better.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Season 2 is the second best season of television.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
WTF does LOST screwed people up even mean?

If you didn't like LOST you probably won't like Leftovers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I think it's just that you can't go into the Leftovers expecting any sort of answers regarding what happened during the disappearance. Watching LOST week to week for years it was absolutely impossible to not come up with theories about what was going on and what things meant. Not that the character development and themes and poo poo were worthless once you definitively found out they were all really dead, but the theories were impossible to ignore. With the Leftovers we at least know we aren't going to get answers so dips into the mythicism or supernatural or you whatever you want to call it happen and you don't have to search for" physical" literal meaning.

This is what I thought. But delta bravos in the thread keep repeating it when nobody is even discussing "theories."

"I like season 1 better than season 2"

"Lol LOST really messed people up"

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

tomapot posted:

Can we spoiler the Lost ending stuff please.

Just kidding, we gave up on Lost after the 3rd or 4th season. Not sure if we'll ever go back and finish it up at this point.

Should. One of the best TVs ever.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

tomapot posted:

The time commitment is ridiculous though, it is something like 120 episodes. I ran up against the same thing with my West Wing rewatch, the tv seasons back then ran 18+ episodes. A lot harder than binging through today's 10 episode seasons. I'll probably get back to it one day, but so much other TV to get through first.

It's hard to believe they did that many episodes and very little, if any, was filler. Each episode continued the story on the island while at the same time having a pretty self contained flashback(or forward or sideways) for one of the characters that tied back in to what was happening on the island.

Kinda want to rewatch now.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I would watch a season where the departed come come back exactly as they were with absolutely no explanation of what happened. Just focus on the returnees dealing with a world that moved on without them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Dean revealed to be just a regular old crazy conspiracy theory dude is one of the biggest let downs ever. I'm trying to find more meaning in it but I don't think there is any.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zarlog posted:

Dont worry, they'll answer all your questions just like Lost did.

This episode did give up a lot of stuff that could have been left unknown.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Who killed the world?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, the book is really good but so, so different than what ended up on screen. I think really only Jill's story stayed true to the original text...they backgrounded all the stuff with Kevin and Amy, teasing but never committing, and Laurie's story/the GR obviously went in a wildly different direction.

Oh, and we lost all the Spongebob Squarepants stuff with Nora, drat licensing issues.

I am not sure who Amy is.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Confirmed: Season 1 of the Leftovers is literally on fire in a garbage can. Also, it was so bad that people that liked it are actual insane people with severe mental disabilities.

This is fact, not opinion, so there is no reason to qualify it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Was Season 2 any good? I was getting Chemotherapy when it was on because Season one LITERALLY gave me cancer.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
People didn't like the GR stuff in season 1? I thought the GR was one of the big draws of the show. Everything related to them is pretty amazing in season 1 and then 2 pretty much drops it in favor of the Meg poo poo-show.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

The GR in s1 is absolutely one of the main lovely things about that season. Regardless of the thematic sense they might make, minutes and minutes of people showing notebooks to each other is just objectively uninteresting television and something that clearly would work way better in the original book.

I bet they don't write more than 50 words total in the entire season. Those scenes are interesting because of the visual storytelling.

MiddleOne posted:

Season 2 by comparison was an almost perfect season of television.

I think this here is why the differences in opinion arise. Season 2 was much more like a traditional TV series and I suppose that's what most people really want. It was pretty straight forward and most of the loose ends got neatly tied up.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Lindsey Duncan was on a BBC miniseries called Perfect Strangers

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

oliwan posted:

Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.

What the poo poo? Do you have experience explaining your arguments? Or just listening?

Edit: You are such a literary master that your criticism is "lol, we laughed at that scene in a totally not good way"

UmOk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

PLEASE! do not feed the bad troll

Sorry. I'm an Academy Award winning director/writer who also won the Nobel prize while attending both Harvard and Yale. I am a professor of TV-stuff so I've have a lot of experience listening to arguments about girls jumping on trampolines.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 24, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

the trampoline scene, like everything else on the show, is about 9/11. the poses that Nora and Erika achieve invoke "The Falling Man" (and Tom Junod's Esquire article of same title about how some revisionist history has tried to erase WTC jumpers from the day's events.) the wu-tang clan, being a seminal NYC musical act of the era, is the only fitting soundtrack. by putting the wu-tang symbol on her arm, Nora is forever marked by 9/11, just as we all are, psychologically.

What's 9/11?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

General Dog posted:

Lost really messed some people up

9/11 messed up more. Lost can't melt steel beams

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Perfect Strangers was about 9/11

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think recording them was the crime

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

oliwan posted:

Oh and with some christian bullshit thrown in too boot.
Are you broken? When Matt corrects Sr about some bible thing Sr responds with "Thats loving stupid"

And the Christian themes have been a part of the show since it started. Did you watch season 2? It takes place in the Jarden of Eden and has a charater named EVE-EE who is tempted by a Meg into casting herself out of Jarden.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Glad you got a job. I feel sorry for your students

Oh poo poo. I just noticed that this was the weird MA in literature english teacher poster. I'm pretty sure he/she is a troll now if the Christian themes went over his/her head until this last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
We troll to proclaim our faith

• Locked thread