Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
"Cavewoman" is actually a racist term. They prefer to be called Mole-people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Let the mystery be

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anybody else disappointed in the intro? The music is cool but I don't like that they didn't go with something visually different. It would have been interesting if each season had a completely different intro.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a character introduced who's like "I didn't lose anyone, don't know anyone who did, the world was overpopulated anyway, so whatever." If only just for a contrast to everyone's pain and society's fallout from the Departure. "Yeah, it actually benefits humanity as a whole, guys. No biggie."

One of the cool things about the show is that none of the main characters lost anyone in the departure except Nora. And she is probably the least psychotic of them all.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
And Kevin talks to dead people and drinks poison to cure himself. John burns down houses.

Laurie, when not in a cult, is literally one of the scammers that Nora is against.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 16, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Can someone explain what the deal was with the bricks thrown through windows in season 2?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah I got that Erica was doing it for payback but I thought maybe I missed something with Nora. Just crazy being crazy

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
GR wanted to troll people for attention.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
My immersion is ruined

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

Clearly everyone on the show are actually the departed and they went to an alternate universe where gumtrees grow in Texas.

You mean sweetgum trees?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Jimmy Kimmel turned Justin Theroux's car into an Emmy-Mobile and it is amazing.

Has he not received one for this show yet? I don't follow awards

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I know you guys a all about Dowd, but Justin T is what makes this show work for me.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I'm a little confused at the ending. It seemed like Matt's conversation with "God" sort of broke him. But then at the end when the lion eats "God", that has to only reinforce Matt's views, right? I mean he was reading straight from the Book of Daniel on the plane.

He says "Thats the guy I was telling you about." He's has been telling people about god his entire life.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Laurie was one of the biggest manipulative assholes on the show. Only Meg was worse. Good character.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

screech on the beach posted:

Her life was all about helping people and the people she cares most about have all gone full crazy and she will never be able to help them.

Laurie was all about herself. All of her arcs are about her hurting others to make herself feel better.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think the other place(if it exists) is where bad folk go when they die. Who has Kevin met there? A murderer, a wife-beater, and a child molester. Be cool if Meg was there trolling the afterlife.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

Mary was there at the hotel. She wasn't evil.

She pretended to be catatonic for years for attention.

But really we don't know too much about her. Maybe her being there with the molesters and murderers is saying something.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Actually the shoes are significant because they are the only case of clothes departing without the wearer.

I'll stop poo poo posting now. Internet sarcasm is hard.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Tonight's episode better have more Kevin.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I feel this episode really told viewers that, other than the departure, nothing "supernatural" is going on and that everyone is just getting crazier. In the other place Kevin learns absolutely nothing he doesn't already know and only meets people he already knows are dead. He may just be addicted to being asphyxiated.

Edit: I take back that he doesn't learn anything in the other place. He learns about himself.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Goddamn, that narration during the promo for the next episode... Can't wait. I liked this episode, it was crammed full of happenings, which is nice. The last shot in the etherworld of Patti and Kevin watching the bombs fall was nice.

I have to ask, maybe I'm just dumb, maybe I can't quite piece it together, but if the etherworld/afterlife/whatever it is is like a polar opposite of the real world, then what does nuking it signify, saving the real world?

Kevin's mind. He says he wants to nuke it so he can never come back.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Only Matt and Nora need to be wrapped up now. Both Kevins(Sr. and JR.) and the Murphys stories were perfectly concluded in this episode. I don't know what else there is to say about them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Haha. Forgot about Jarden and the Garvey kids. But I think the show did too.

I miss Mapleton and all the characters there.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Dumb rear end smug people having an interpretation of an ambiguous show.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I thought this episode "really told people that, other than the departure, nothing "supernatural" is going on and that everyone is just getting crazier"? That doesn't sound too ambiguous.

You left off the beginning of that post where I said "I feel." I didn't mean for it to come off as authoritative. Just my personal interpretation of the show and I'm totally down with reading others. Except for Oliwan. He/She has an MA in literature and is too smart for me.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

I think it's pretty clear that there is no "God" in the Leftovers universe. I wonder if that will play in the finale next week.

How is this clear?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

Patti's quote stating that she knows there absolutely isn't a God made it pretty clear for me. She stated that Kevin brought her out of retirement, and since Kevin helped her she felt obliged to help him.

So there is an afterlife but no god?

Patti has never really been a reliable source of information.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

HanabaL03 posted:

Patti in the "other world" has always been an ally of Kevin's

So you think the other place is just in Kevins head?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Africa with a cross?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I watched all 10 hours of season 1 and I hated every minute. So I watched 10 more hours of season 2 and I hated it even more. Now I am watching 8 hours of the final season and I hate every episode so far. I will continue watching.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd say it's more supernatural than not, just by going by who and what Kevin sees during his experiences.

Like I said earlier: His afterlife experiences are ambiguous because he never meets anyone that he doesn't already know is dead(or in a coma) and he only learns things about himself.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol apparently I'm a spoopy fyad boogeyman because I point out that the plot developments past the book material are hackish at best and completely contrary to everything good about the first season

I don't know what a "spoopy fyad boogeyman" is but you are certainly the type that spite-watches things you don't like so you can complain about them.

Like, I really don't like Orange is the New Black. I watched 2 episodes and realised this. I didn't feel the need to watch the rest of them so I could go on something awful dot com and rant about how bad it is.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Raxivace posted:

One idea that I really wish had been left more ambiguous in season 2 that I never see anyone else talk about is about is the thing about Matt possibly raping Mary. The way it initially plays makes it seem like it could go in this direction, and Matt's story about Mary coming out of her coma one night and whether viewers even believe it or not fits the general themes of the story really loving well. It also helps that that episode was one of the better ones of season 2.

So why then it was undermined when the writers had Mary come out of her coma for good and announce that she totally remembers consenting that night with Matt is something I've never heard a particularly convincing argument for, especially considering how her character and their child was written away anyways in season 3. It just feels like a very bathetic way to handle a storyline that really seemed ripe for drama and is even relevant to a lot of real world debates going on today in regards to how victimized women are treated in society.

Maybe Lindelof and Perotta thought it was just too uncomfortable and dark for the kind of show Leftovers is, I dunno.

This was my biggest problem with season 2. Things were just resolved too solidly. S1 had very little of that type of resolution.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

My biggest gripe with Lindelof is he cares way too much about meta poo poo and catering to reviewers instead of viewers.

What does this even mean?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Nora went for machine. Kevin followed Nora. Everyone else followed Kevin.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I hope the series just ends with Nora going in to the microwave machine.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

Those are the plot reasons, but on an earlier page people were asking about the show-runners' motivations.

I just thought it was interesting that it was one characters decision that led everyone there.

I don't really get why people care about creators intentions or motivations. After something is complete their input and opinions are worthless. Not aiming this at you. Just in general.

Niwrad posted:

The weird cavewoman scene was done to gently caress with Andy Greenwald. The Matt episode from this season was written for a reviewer who said nice things about the show last season. All the Kevin dick jokes came from a joke online about Theroux in his sweatpants.

It's not a big deal since some of those things work out well. But he's admitted to caring a lot about what reviewers say and I think throws stuff into the show to cater to them. The French submarine scene is an example of that. Don't think it added anything to the plot except to be a quirky thing reviewers can fawn over.

Every scene you describe is good and fits with the show. I don't read reviews(other than goon posting) of anything so I guess that's why I don't get this line of criticism.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 2, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The scene with Eve and the Serpent? And after is a season where Evie is tempted by Meg and cast out of the Jarden of Eden.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Nora's story doesn't really add up. If all these people were coming through to departed-land that would be proof to the departed people that you can move between worlds. Wouldn't the scientist have immediately started building a machine and sending everyone home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

The Leftovers Season 3: And Everyone Stood Up and Clapped

And that goat was a marine bear.

• Locked thread