Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I ended up not liking most of the characters by the end of last season, so I'm mostly watching for Carrie Coon now because she's great and needs to be in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's literally a scene in the finale where Jack's dad explains to him that the island was all real, but the place they're in now isn't. Yet I still have conversations with people I know who claim "it was such bullshit, they were in purgatory all along!"

Maybe that's what people mean when they say Lost broke people. The show broke their ability to believe what a TV show is telling them even when it's directly telling them something because they're too deep into their own theory.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Its implied that he wished to have his family back together, but when he arrived back home he had a new family unit instead: New girlfriend, new baby, even a new dog.
Also his ex-wife showed up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hope they constantly tease the departed returning, but they never do throughout the whole season. Then the last shot of the show is the camera zooming through a field towards a man walking with his back turned. Finally the camera catches up to him and he stops and turns around and it's Gary Busey.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Occam's Razor would say that after Evie blew up, Erika went a bit nuts over losing her child, stole Lily, and broke Nora's arm in the process. John was understandably upset at this and got together with Laurie, who found common ground over basically losing their respective families.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Jeffe posted:

Wouldn't that happen shortly after the GR bombing though? Broken arms take months to heal, not 3 years. It would be weird for Erika to take 2+ years to go nuts. But I guess it's possible.
Nah, it wouldn't be weird at all. Couples often drift apart slowly after losing a child/baby. You'd mourn with your partner at first and try to stay strong for each other, you'd be angry at anyone associated with her passing, you'd try to put on a brave face for the community (especially in "Miracle"), etc. Realistically the cracks would get bigger as time went on, in this case especially if John was being counseled by Laurie and growing closer to her, and Erika was becoming increasingly desperate to fill the void of losing her child. Maybe John leaving Erika for Laurie was even the catalyst. Getting to a mental state where you'd kidnap a baby and run off must be a lengthy process. That's something that could've come to a head only a few months ago.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's mainly my fault that it keeps coming up. It's got a similar 'this is wrong and no one knows why' vibe to it. It's legitimately the only true 'haunted house' story I've ever experienced, as the house itself really is what's haunted. It feels legitimately sinister to me.

If you like the thought of impossible physical geometry almost forcing itself into your world, then check it out. Fair warning, though; there are a LOT of dry spots that have put off friends of mine from reading it, though I was never bored.

I just tell people that the meandering, hard to read parts are the book literally becoming a labyrinth, and most people start enjoying it more for the concept alone, even if they don't want to read 6 pages of footnotes about drywall.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kevin goes on a walkabout in the outback and finds Isaac of Uluru and the show reveals it's been a stealth Lost sequel all along. Kevin ends up the new protector of the island and he can't die because the island won't let him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Apparently any character that Carrie Coon plays on TV has terrible luck with technology. This week her character on Fargo had very similar issues with a phone and a door sensor. Weird.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm torn about this episode. Considering this took up one of the six remaining episodes, it felt kind of wasteful to spend the entire time on Kevin Sr.

Well I mean, without it there would be 5 more episodes instead of 6. It's not like there was an extra episode they canceled to make this one.

Professor Shark posted:

Scott Glenn: No. Later, I thought back on my first conversation with Damon before I went to New York for the first season. I asked him to tell me about Kevin, Sr. He said there are three types of prophets: "false prophets, crazy prophets, and real prophets; you’re a real prophet." He said, “If there is one you want to think about, think about Moses. I think your character is going to go on some type of walkabout.”

Stealth Lost sequel theory confirmed. :tinfoil:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They're laying on the pregnancy symbolism pretty thick. At first they were being subtle, like shots of the blurry baby changing table in the background while they had bathroom sex, and a couple vague references last episode. But then they went full tilt with mentioning the IUD and the final shot.

:wtf: at that bullshit question Nora had to answer though. How is THAT relevant to qualifying? It reminded me of the Voight-Kampff test in Blade Runner.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah. It's sometimes hard to remember this with her and EVEN when she's showing how crazy and hosed up she is, she/Carrie coon does such a good job that I'm constantly like "eh she's not that THAT hosed up" because I buy her bs. At least for me
Yeah, never forget this is a woman who deals with grief by hiring prostitutes to shoot her in the chest and yells at strangers in bars about moving on being impossible. She's clinging onto any threads of hope she can find that she'll see her kids again. I figure that's why she didn't freak out when she found Kevin with a bag over his head - she's done way weirder poo poo than that.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Unless the people in the testimonies have all left their lives and joined the scam, like an alternate form of the GR, and the testimonies were faked.
The big climax at the end of every season so far has involved the GR. Season 1 it was them putting all the dummies in peoples' houses and the compound burning down. Season 2 it was the twist that the girls joined the GR and weren't missing. I would not be shocked at all if this organization is literally the GR recruiting again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I've read some stuff about cosmic particles. They travel at nearly the speed of light, they're so tiny that they don't intersect with even densely packed matter, and the Earth's magnetic field deflects most of them. Given the measurable radiation being the only thing anyone knows about the Sudden Departure, and that Damon Lindelof is big on electromagnetic forces in his shows, I'm surprised the commonly accepted theory among survivors isn't that a super powerful cosmic ray collided with the Earth at just the right angle that everyone on the planet vibrating within a certain frequency range disintegrated on the spot - and therefore is dead rather than missing/taken/raptured/whatever. I'd leap to that way before I figured they're alive somewhere or were taken to [insert favorite religious afterlife].

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tomahawk posted:

That was a pretty cool ep but I'm definitely ready for the end of the series. While I love it, there is definitely something exhausting about this show.
Yeah, I enjoy watching it and I like the characters, but it really likes meandering through points that don't directly inform the story progression. The whole series has had more than its share of weird unexplained obstacles that are there just for the sake of mystery. It's Lindelof's style to be obtuse and convoluted. Some really cool, interesting poo poo is just about to happen, then suddenly it's about blueberry pickers trapped in a water treatment plant and also it's a church in space in the future. :iiam:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a character introduced who's like "I didn't lose anyone, don't know anyone who did, the world was overpopulated anyway, so whatever." If only just for a contrast to everyone's pain and society's fallout from the Departure. "Yeah, it actually benefits humanity as a whole, guys. No biggie."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wouldn't say that. She's done some pretty crazy poo poo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

JethroMcB posted:

I think that's an impossible point of view to hold because millions upon millions of people vanished without any explanation. Everybody you know may still be there, it didn't affect your life in anyway other than "Huh did you see the news", you can mask it all you want and walk through the world with a blasé attitude, but that's still such a fundamentally loving insane thing that it would eat away at a person's psyche.

Basically any character introduced with a "who cares" attitude would eventually turn out to be a serial killer with dozens of bodies crammed in their crawlspace.
Departure mystery solved then? :haw:

But speaking of 9/11, we're on a website that was making fun of it on the day before the towers even fell. We'd see the absolute peak of cynicism out of more people than you think if 2% of the global population up and disappeared.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Gravediggaz in the opening credits was hilariously grim in retrospect.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 22, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like Laurie was holding on for a long time, but now at this point in her life she's gradually come to realize this world doesn't want rational people anymore. The world's gone crazy and that's the new norm, so no matter how much time and effort she puts into saving people, she's irrelevant and dismissed. Her telling Nora that people don't want closure was more about Laurie than families of the departed. Everyone in her life is fine on their own or supports some crazy apocalypse theory, and if the world is really ending tomorrow she'd rather go out on her own terms. If it isn't, there will be something else, and then something else, and then something else, and if that's going to happen forever, nobody needs or wants the person who came out the other side of crazy and tells you it's all bullshit.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When the camera panned away from the door to show Kevin's face as the VP walked in, I was expecting the VP to be Nora, because then there would be the added tragic notes of knowing that not only did she die and Kevin didn't know until now, but also that her radiation thing killed her instead of sending her to the departed. Though I guess that wouldn't explain Laurie's absence.

Professor Shark posted:

I have the piano version of Where Is My Mind in my playlist for driving to work
Mr. Robot's first season used it too, and it's been used in a few movies as well.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Lost all the way. I loved all the different themes for individual characters. There's No Place Like Home still gives me goosebumps.
Hollywood & Vines pops into my head every time I go hiking.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

So why then it was undermined when the writers had Mary come out of her coma for good and announce that she totally remembers consenting that night with Matt is something I've never heard a particularly convincing argument for, especially considering how her character and their child was written away anyways in season 3. It just feels like a very bathetic way to handle a storyline that really seemed ripe for drama and is even relevant to a lot of real world debates going on today in regards to how victimized women are treated in society.
Isn't it equally possible that Mary forgave Matt for being sad and desperate because he's her husband and loves him and doesn't want him put in prison, so she went along with his story? Given the amount of mystical bullshit the characters in this show are prone to believe, maybe she didn't remember but still bought his story, or she didn't know but forgave him, or was never angry about it in the first place. It can still be as ambiguous as you want.

Fast Luck posted:

There's already been a scene that takes place after that would happen though!
If you mean the carrier pigeon scene, for all we know it takes place wherever the departed went.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^^^Which is also a perfectly valid interpretation of the ending if you don't want it spelled out.

I'm satisfied with the ending and the focus on the two main characters. What's kind of great/sad/funny now is that if Nora was telling the truth about what happened, the Guilty Remnant were always all just a bunch of dicks.

Also I rewatched the machine scene, and just as the water reaches her face, Nora whispers "yes", not "stop", so her story could be just as plausible.

Niwrad posted:

Also can someone please give Carrie Coon an Emmy already. She was in every scene of that episode and just brilliant.
For the last scene alone, holy poo poo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

1. The people that went over got what they wanted, and didn't feel like they had to try and come back.

2. Maybe it was a lot of energy to recreate the machine on the other side, where manpower is so limited. Would be really interesting to see the world from the 2% and just how crippled it is.

#1 is probably the best counter-argument, and I've been thinking about it since watching the episode. They didn't send a ton of people through, just those who had no attachment left to the 98% world and wanted to go to their departed. So of course they wouldn't come back; they all left specifically for that purpose, not to investigate.

#2 has some really huge implications. Immediately there'd be infrastructure collapse without enough people to maintain it. Nuclear plant meltdowns, plane crashes, derailments, sewer system issues, total gridlock, farms totally breaking down, etc. There was a show that aired a while back (pre-Leftovers) on Discovery or some channel like that which explored what would happen if 100% of all people disappeared one day. Reduce that to 98% and most of that probably still happens, but the 2% left would have to scramble to prevent disasters everywhere or the world would basically be hosed, so the first few months/years would be a TON of damage control. Meanwhile everyone's all screwed up in the head from nearly everyone they cared about disappearing, and the town of Jarden, Texas is a sudden ghost town instead of "Miracle". Good luck maintaining order and not giving up after that.

Those 2% remaining would probably see a lot more suicides and reckless behavior per capita than the 98% world. On the plus side, overpopulation won't be an issue for thousands of years, resources are in abundance, carbon emissions are way down, and skilled labor isn't just valuable - it's absolutely vital. I'd imagine most countries would break down and form a central world government, considering most world leaders and their cabinets would be gone too. Who's the US president in the line of succession? It'd be like Battlestar Galactica where everyone was killed in the initial attack so the Secretary of Education became next in line. Come to think of it, replacing departure with death, that's basically what BSG was about.

There really is a lot of material to mine in this concept.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nora: So I looked up the doctor, and that doctor's name... was Albert Einstein.

The Leftovers Season 3: And Everyone Stood Up and Clapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If Nora's story is true, one little detail stood out to me: The parking lot she woke up in was empty, and she doesn't mention vehicles in her story. It brings up a concept of doubled matter: We know houses were all there, but were cars? Obviously, like she said, the trucks with the machine weren't there because they'd arrived long after the departure. But if 7 years ago 98% of everyone disappeared, the place would still be an automobile graveyard because there just wouldn't be enough people to clear it out or put them all somewhere. Or, moving objects/machines vanished and baby Sam from the pilot fell 3 feet to the pavement. :ohdear:

• Locked thread