Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I can't believe it took me this long to watch this show, especially since I loved LOST. The 2nd season was, in my opinion, the best season of television I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Wait, Ann Dowd wasn't even nominated for her season 2 performance? No one on the show was?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

These forums were at their peak during the :lost: seasons.

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/the-leftovers-karaoke-scene-finale-damon-lindelof-justin-theroux-oral-history-interview-1201690160/

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

It's almost Gametime! Let's go.

Also I love the ABBA song they used for the trailer. I get a very nostalgic DHARMA vibe from the music video.

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 17, 2017

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Someone please refresh my memory, we never found out what Kevin wished for from Wayne?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Holy poo poo. What an episode.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Maybe "Sarah" was using the doves to communicate with the departed? Those notes were written by them, she went crazy when she figured out how to communicate with them and she's spent the rest of her life trying to figure out how to meet her kids?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Here's a great article on the first episode of Season 3 and some minor spoilers for future episodes. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/damon-lindelof-leftovers-season-3-994432?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Onomarchus posted:

I wonder if this will be left intentionally unexplained, a complete mystery even when the show is done.

(And yes, I actually do want to find out what happened to Lily too, and I think it would be better if we do find out.)

No way they don't give us an answer when they had characters bring it up in the first episode.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

This episode reminded me somewhat of "Across the Sea" from :lost:

I've read the titles for the remaining episodes minus the series finale. So much intrigue.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Game time! Also I'm all on the Ann Dowd train.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

What a fantastic episode. No other tv show can pull off the variety of music each episode has. Uncanny.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Loved the episode. This is seemingly going to have two types of groups when the show ends: those that watch for the characters and those who want answers. Exactly like the 2 groups of people that either loved or hated the end of LOST.

"NOT PENNY'S BOAT"

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

In the hotel both David and Kevin were clean shaven. Now, after "coming back" they have full beards.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Anyone else find it surprising that almost no spoilers have leaked for this season? I remember we had a whole separate thread for LOST episodes that was spoiler discussion only. Everyone was leaking poo poo back then.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I don't believe Leftovers has received a single prime time Emmy nomination to date.

It hasn't. The biggest travesty was Ann Dowd not getting one. Her performance in season 2 was outstanding.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Just realized that Carlton Cuse's son Nick is a writer on this show.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

What tattoo is misspelled on Kevin?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Multiple critics who have already seen this episode have stated that tonight's is one of the best of the series.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Let's go!!!!!

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Interesting music choice for the credits.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

gently caress. No music either. God drat.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

God drat. When that music finally kicks in, you know the emotions about to pop off.

That was also a high point of :lost: the theme music was always used perfectly for important scenes.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

The director of next weeks episode also directed "International Assassin". Oh man....

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Why was Kevin Sr. carrying a bag of shoes when Laurie shows up in the VW Wagon?

I'm rewatching the episode and it seems weird that Grace mentioned at the end of the episode that they never found her kids shoes.

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 23, 2017

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

UmOk posted:

I think the other place(if it exists) is where bad folk go when they die. Who has Kevin met there? A murderer, a wife-beater, and a child molester. Be cool if Meg was there trolling the afterlife.

Mary was there at the hotel. She wasn't evil.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Onomarchus posted:

I disagree. It's a litmus test for whether what Kevin does is real. He has to ask them where their shoes are, and only if they are there will Grace believe anything else he says about his contact with her kids in the other world.

I just found it random that the writers would have Sr. Say "shoes" as apposed to "nothing" when he's asked what's in the bag.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Carrie Coon is going to get nominated for best supporting actress for two different shoes this year.

Also the actors and dialogue are so good. I just realized there hasn't been any action scenes in like 3 weeks. All dialogue. So so good.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

For those of you that have watched both The Leftovers and LOST, which musical score had more of an emotional connection for you?

I'm a big LOST fan, but the score for this show is so simple and beautiful. It's a tight one, but I'm going with The Leftovers.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

This show is such an emotionally satisfying triumph. I can't wait to see what happens next week. Ann Dowd is still a power to be reckoned with. I watch a lot of television, no other cast delivers more emotional gut wrenching performances than this cast. Think about it, almost all of it is purely dialogue. I will miss this series.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Here is a good read on yesterday's episode. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/leftovers-justin-theroux-penultimate-episode-1008225?utm_source=twitter

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

I think it's pretty clear that there is no "God" in the Leftovers universe. I wonder if that will play in the finale next week.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

UmOk posted:

How is this clear?

Patti's quote stating that she knows there absolutely isn't a God made it pretty clear for me. She stated that Kevin brought her out of retirement, and since Kevin helped her she felt obliged to help him.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

UmOk posted:

So there is an afterlife but no god?

Patti has never really been a reliable source of information.

Patti in the "other world" has always been an ally of Kevin's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Critics have seen the finale. Screeners were sent out yesterday.

• Locked thread