Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope they stick to the original ending this time. I'm still amazed at how many people say they prefer the film's ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you just say Carrie Coon's performance in Fargo was better than her performance in Leftovers

WHATS THE SHORTCUT FOR THAT SMILIE WHERE THE FROG SAYS GET OUT

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

She got to do more with less in Fargo, probably because it was a shorter series and more planned out than The Leftovers which left her more room to do nuanced stuff within those plans, which she is entirely capable of doing and is more impressive than responding to an evolving narrative (*).

Just my opinion (and I guess the nomination committee but who knows what their specific rationale was).

(*) I'm not saying she didn't do a great job in The Leftovers too, I'm just saying her performance in Fargo was more impressive.

Which specific scenes would you point to as being more impressive? Like, she isn't exactly given very much to do. I don't really understand any of what you're saying about 'plans' and 'responding to an evolving narrative' either. It's as if you think Leftovers is improvised.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
this Sepinwall quote, I think, goes a long way towards explaining why so many (including myself, 100%) care about the emmys/awards shows in general despite knowing they're silly and invalid:

quote:

I try not to get too worked up about the Emmys. Some of the greatest shows and performances in TV history never won Emmys. Jackie Gleason never did for Ralph Kramden, or Jason Alexander for George Costanza, Martin Sheen for President Bartlet, Amy Poehler for Leslie Knope, or The Wire for anything. But the Emmys are also the closest thing TV has to a historical record, and if some TV fan decades from now (assuming TV still exists in a recognizable form by then) looks back to the nominees and winners of any particular year or decade, it would be nice for them to see what was truly great about TV at that time, rather than what was picked because voters weren’t paying attention, or were voting in a bloc, or were occasionally distracted by shiny new things.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imo the worst Emmy nom this year is fuckin' Barb from Stranger Things

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Transparent owns completely, y'all are nuts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Ann Dowd won!

hahahah :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely like Leftovers s1 far, far more than I did, and would in fact argue that it is really good overall! But holy poo poo is BJ and the AC a bad episode, and I still think the Nora hooker shooting sequence is abominably stupid and bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wtf are you talking about

god I hate “Twin Peaks is art and all other TV ever is poo poo” people

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously. The closest you can get is “they take place in dream worlds”. The dreams in Inception aren’t ambiguous (they’re definitely not real, they’re dreams), and the “Bond poo poo” is completely different in the movie and the episode. Not to mention the context behind International Assassin is completely different which is more likely what people are talking about when they talk about the episode being original or whatever (although you could make an argument it’s similar to Sopranos coma visions I suppose)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah that one’s really good outside of the opening. BJ and the AC is the episode where the nativity jesus gets stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's the one that iirc they already shot a bunch of before realising it wasn't working and so took it back in for retooling. Not that it helped imo

• Locked thread