Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Leftovers Season 3 -Premieres April 16, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAB4Ux62Dww

drunkill posted:

New teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWrp7QlW4c

April 16th can't get here soon enough.

We're back this season and we're going to be in Australia. Not sure if that's technically a spoiler since the filming location has been documented in the press pretty heavily. I'm excited as hell.

Previous threads:

Season 1
Season 2

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

precision posted:

Very vague trailer talk, spoiler'd just in case:

Either the trailer for this season is misleading or the showrunners lied because the trailer makes it sound like "where'd everyone go?" is gonna be discussed.

Also, I'm gonna be the one guy who legit enjoyed season 1 more than 2.

Season 1 and 2 are both good IMHO. Do you have a link to the trailer you're talking about?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lindelof vehemently denying they'll touch on what exactly happened makes me think they just might.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

savinhill posted:

Damnit, I saw this thread on the first page and thought that the new season was starting up, especially since their big drama show Westworld had just ended n they usually have a replacement show right away. Disappointed.
Funny, I missed discussing this show and thought it was due for a new thread because they announced the April airdate and it's only a few months away.

It's interesting how people view these things differently!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

New EW article:

The Leftovers: First look at the final season

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

New trailer:

https://www.facebook.com/TheLeftoversHBO/videos/1854919484746138/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season one wasn't mediocre, it was Good. Get your facts straight.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Looks like some end-of-the-world poo poo!! I'm pumped!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress. EVERYONE READY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9w0sz5y83k

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, that last line... my god.

If it's not a fakeout, I totally called it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

In what way? Genuinely asking, no sarcasm.

Man, I hope it's not a fakeout. :ohdear:

Well, sorta. Spoilering even if it is speculation, since it's related to an actual line from the trailer of the upcoming season:

I've been thinking they'll actually reveal the cause of the departure, and that line indicates that someone knows something to that effect. Lindelof has been so adamant about us never finding out the reason for the departure, and telling us to let the mystery be, even putting it in last season's intro, that it's made me think that he's ready to pull the rug from under us this season.

Whether that will end up being a good thing, who knows. Or it might not even happen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Raxivace posted:

The afterlife stuff only bothered me when Kevin was actually going there, and only because to me it felt more like he got trapped in a video game instead of an incomprehensible dream world or an afterlife that defies human understanding.

Maybe that's exactly what it was, a simulation/smaller version of the real thing in order to train him.. :tinfoil:

The real afterlife might be insane and Kevin might have to fight through all of the departed or something. Wait, that sounds like a video game too..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rocco posted:

Wait- are we bashing the afterlife stuff from season 2 now? I thought that was some of the best material in the show.

I'm certainly not. I completely agree with that. I loved International Assassin and the finale. I think it took a lot of balls for them to do sequences like the well, and Kevin's karaoke song. Those scenes could have been awful, but they're great and Justin Theroux is perfectly bewildered and frustrated throughout.

poo poo, makes me wanna fire up one of those episodes right now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I largely agree -- though I'd probably describe the dream navigation stuff as prosaic rather than video-gamey.

But look, for me so much of the show was about a reaction to a single, momentous and inexplicable event that was significant for its singularity. There Depature was an actual, undeniable supernatural event that threw everything human beings had previously understood out of whack and utterly destabilised humanity on a deep, psychological level. All religions were proven wrong, all science was thrown into question and man was made to feel very very small. Social structures buckled, but did not break. New tribal cultures emerged to quantify this new paradigm. Life went on, coping but not metabolising the disaster. The Departure was a wound that couldn't be healed, and humankind was thrown into a constant state of doubt, bewilderment and denial as a result.

So, like, that's my reading of the show. And it's why I'm frustrated by the show's decision to create a topography of the afterlife or to build a concrete mythology to contextualise the Depature. The characters can try to do that, that's a very natural and normalised reaction to trauma. But when the show does it, it feels like an attempt to resolve and neutralise the show's concepts, and it undermines much of its thematic concerns.

I think that's really well put, and I wonder if they'll try to remain vague about what the departure actually was, but give us another sense of closure by admitting that the departed are fuckin dead, wherever they are. And maybe Kevin has to bring that message of closure to humanity by seeing them in the afterlife and reporting that back to the living.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sorry if this is tabloidy/too much, not putting in OP, but found it interesting:

The Leftovers: Expect an 'explosive, satisfying' series ending

quote:

Carrie Coon is sounding very confident that you’re going to like the series finale of HBO’s The Leftovers.

The eight-episode, third-and-final season — which transitions the bulk of the drama’s action from Texas to Australia — benefits from its shorter length, she says.

“Because we only had eight episodes, the pace of the show is quite changed,” the actress reveals. “I hope people enjoy that momentum. It’s still contemplative, but also explosive and very character driven. And Australia is very much a character in the piece.”

And the ending? While fans know not to expect much in the way of answers to the show’s mythological questions (showrunner Damon Lindelof has braced us on that front), Coon says that the ending is not frustrating either.

“I can say, that as the actor playing Nora, that I found it satisfying,” she says. “It felt like an organic conclusion to me. You’ll never please everyone, of course, and I look forward to reading the reactions — the praise and the criticism. I’m sure we’ll get some of both.”

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

UmOk posted:

Season 1 was much better. Almost nothing is explained and the whole thing is really left up to the viewer to interpret. Season 2 had its big mystery revealed at the end and kind of ruined the whole "Let the Mystery be." I still think both seasons are the best TV I have even seen.

The mystery they wanted you to "let be" is the sudden departure hth

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

UmOk posted:

That's a pretty limited view of the show. Are you expecting every other unexplained thing to be wrapped up?

What? I'm just talking about the intro where the woman is singing about people disappearing while visuals of disappeared people are splashed across the screen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm rewatching season one right now. It's really fun to rewatch when you don't have to wait week-by-week and you already know where the characters end up. The first Matt-focused episode: ep 3, "Two Boats and a Helicopter" is loving crazy. I forget that Matt smashes his assailant's face into the fuckin ground. Lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

UmOk posted:

Meg is not really a believer. She's just being vindictive and using the GR to get her vengeance or whatever.

And the funny thing about the GR is that none of them had family members lost in the departure. Pattie, Meg, Evy and Laurie. They are mad because they aren't special.

Laurie lost her unborn child.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I can't wait until we throw another season into this neverending battle over the best season of The Leftovers. I really wanna see s1 v s2 v s3.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

If only I had a literature degree so I could realise how the Lost finale is Actually Bad :(

(I don't really like a lot of the final season but absolutely think the finale knocks it out of the park)

Yeah LOST's ending is great, no one can convince me otherwise. Even if they have a postgraduate degree in literature :rolleyes: The final season had its problems, but I don't count the finale in them at all.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

e: I don't wanna talk about LOST anymore or justify why I like the finale. Back to The Leftovers:

Just finished Season 1, Episode 9, The One Where People Depart

Kidding of course, the episode's actually titled "The Garveys At Their Best." And it's really accurate. I'd forgotten they'd done an entire flashback episode in season one for some reason and this one's really great. I also hadn't realized that Kevin's little glimpses of happiness during his rendition of "Homeward Bound" in season two pretty much consisted of scenes from this pre/during-departure episode.

Kevin Sr.'s party is sweet, and it's fun seeing Matt cut loose and not really giving much of a poo poo about anything because of a cancer scare, I guess?

Obviously every character has serious problems, but there are moments of true happiness sprinkled throughout each of their stories and this entire hour serves as a nice contrast for the mega-grim poo poo that's about to transpire. I've always been impressed by this show's ability to create unease, and they do it very well here when you watch everyone's lives fall apart in slow motion lol.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

There was so much stuff I'd forgotten about for Season 1 that I'm annoyed I didn't rewatch last season.

For example, the car load of women that stop to ask Kevin if he's ready when he's sitting on the side of the road in a white shirt smoking, several hours before the Departure.

Or the guy at the hostel trying to kill Christine in order to kill the baby because "[he] knows what's in there!"
Yes!! The car-lady was just so weird and unsettling. I'd forgotten about the deer trapping itself in homes and the school, pre-departure as well. This show really fucks with your head.

tomapot posted:

I'm on a rewatch and "The Garveys At Their Best" is a great reframing of the series and perfectly placed in the progression of the episodes. I love how some of the facade stats to break down over time. Some great acting in there, especially between Laurie and Kevin.
Yes, I also thought Kevin, Sr. had a standout performance as well. It's interesting to see him fully in charge of Mapleton PD and well-respected. He plays it really well. I think this episode is the one to check out if you don't have a lot of time to commit to an entire two-season rewatch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Haven't heard anything about how hot Justin Theroux is in a while. You need to mention that at least once per episode recap.

The last couple of episodes I've rewatched have featured Theroux jogging in his gray sweatpants which make the outline of his cock look like it's made from marble or stone.

It's funny how he charms some some Asian ladies gardening when he jogs past.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm a little behind on my rewatch, on s02e02 and... it's really good. drat good. I really enjoyed rewatching season one and I feel like I appreciate it more than I did, but I think I'm already enjoying this season more. I haven't even gotten close to the best parts (International Assassin) yet, but I'm really digging the early awkward interactions between John and Kevin, and everyone in Jarden.

It almost feels like an entirely new show. I feel they transitioned the Garveys and Norah really well to the new setting, and there's some really strong world-building with Jarden: the visitors' center, etc. It feels like a real place.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Kevin finds a way to contact the departed with his ability to cross over to "the other place" while it's never clear what exactly happened to them, he is able to give closure to a world in great pain and everyone can heal.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Woo!! What an episode!! This one hosed with me big time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aexo posted:

I don't get why John is clinging to the belief that Evie is still alive, but it must mean that she is.

Why does that necessarily have to be true :confused:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aexo posted:

It was kind of tongue-in-cheek about the absurdity in this world.

I do like how they've ratcheted that up considerably. Three years and almost everyone's gone completely insane.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

UmOk posted:

Dean revealed to be just a regular old crazy conspiracy theory dude is one of the biggest let downs ever. I'm trying to find more meaning in it but I don't think there is any.

It sort of makes me wonder if dogs are genuinely acting messed up and in turn exacerbating whatever issues Dean had. Maybe he went nuts trying to figure out what the dogs are sensing that we aren't? It kind of fits alongside the notion that everyone else in the world seems to be losing their goddamn minds over stuff like that (the dogs, the water in Jarden, etc).

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 18, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's probably obvious, but I was thinking about how logic is literally turned upsidedown in this universe. Sure, we can laugh at Matt and John for writing a book about Kevin. But, at least in Matt's case, why wouldn't he? Everything he's seen points to Kevin as a literal messiah. If he's a priest, what else is there to believe??

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

They do pretty much state that point outright in the episode.

That's what I'm saying!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

After rewatching season one, I appreciate it a lot more. Season two's still better, but season one is fantastic. I think this is one of those rare shows where it might just keep getting better each season. I have high hopes that season three's gonna keep gettin' better as each episode comes out.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wooo! What a great episode. I was riveted during each scene. I'm going to miss the hell out of these characters when it's all over. Excited to see more of Kevin's dad. Kevin, Sr. was one of the best parts about season one. Missed him in my season two rewatch.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 25, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh, noooo, it's going to be a different song over the opening credits every episode, isn't it?

I thought that too, but the licensing costs for such a thing might ramp up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aexo posted:

New thread title.

Agreeing with this, but I can't change it, nor do I have platinum in order to PM a mod. Can someone else request it through a mod?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I like how the first episode set us up to expect Kevin Sr at the end but gave us Nora, then this episode switched them out

I'm easily impressed!

Huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klungar posted:

The end of the premier, one might easily think the grey-haired person is Kevin Sr, before Nora turns around and we realize it is her.

The end of the second episode, one might think that we are seeing the Nora-future again, based on the old women who make up the posse, but the person who comes out of the house turns out it to be Kevin Sr.

I get the premiere one maybe mistaking Nora for Kevin Sr, but the second episode's ending clearly isn't set in the future since the newscast mentions the seventh anniversary of the departure, plus there are vehicles, etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I really liked this episode and I don't understand the sentiment that it's a "wasted" episode at all. Kevin, Sr.'s crazy adventure will probably be very relevant in the upcoming episodes.

Grace's church wasn't the same one we saw future-Nora delivering messages to, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Maybe Kev jr gets sacrificed, but something good coincides with it, so it's deemed as necessary and fulfilling. Meanwhile, Nora, not wanting to fill the 'Jesus's Wife' role, hides away. Maybe she knows he was sacrificed for bullshit reasons and is understandably bitter and angry.

Perhaps the question she's asked is akin to "Have you accepted Jesus into your life?"

:aaa: I could see this..

• Locked thread